Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams (pg. 10 - signed??)

Comments

• Options
    Until the playoffs I was ambivalent.  He's always a willing runner, defenders hate that, and draws so many fouls - but I didn't see enough.

I have now and think he would be a very wise signing.

TBF Bowyer has played a blinder getting him in to join us
  • Options
    That cross for the Taylor header....
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    A frustrating player to watch - if he had more end product he'd be top class.
    The end product has been about players missing chances from him as well as Jonny's final ball.
    The game when Igor missed a header and also blocked Cullen ball on the line after JW pass summed up why Williams had so few assists. 
    Most fans don't realize how difficult it is too find your Rhythm straight away when you have only played a few matches over the last two years.
    I believe he would love to stay if a realistic offer could be made which has options concerning Jonny's poor fitness record.
  • Options
    A frustrating player to watch - if he had more end product he'd be top class.
    The end product has been about players missing chances from him as well as Jonny's final ball.
    The game when Igor missed a header and also blocked Cullen ball on the line after JW pass summed up why Williams had so few assists. 
    Most fans don't realize how difficult it is too find your Rhythm straight away when you have only played a few matches over the last two years.
    I believe he would love to stay if a realistic offer could be made which has options concerning Jonny's poor fitness record.
    Still think his final ball needs improvement, as so often he gets into great positions but nothing comes of it.

Partially I think it's because he doesn't tend to deliver the ball early but rather keeps driving into the box. By contrast Taylor has created 2 crucial goals in the playoffs with early crosses into the box, not giving the defence time to settle and get into position

I think Williams will really improve after a season with Bowyer and Jacko though
  • Options
    What sort of salary would he command?
  • Options
    I'd not really seen the hype to be honest until Sunday. However he really did have an impact by giving us some impetus and also offered an outlet with his ability to win a free kick. He did what Fosu did when he first came.

He doesn't seem to have too much end product but, that said, if he manages to win free kicks in dangerous positions then that may be good enough.

Before Sunday I wasn't particularly bothered if we lost him at the end of the season but now I'm thinking he would be a useful squad player at the very least.

Trust in Bowyer if he ever gets a contract!
  • Options
    Class above, showed quality on the ball. sign him up please!
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    i heard late last night from someone connected to his agent that he is keen to stay, and looked likely that he would. just passing on

How strange... I’m 100% sure he isn't staying, I know that for a fact. We can’t afford to give him the wages he wants. Unless we get new owners soon he won’t be signing. That’s coming from one of  Jonny’s best mates 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    i heard late last night from someone connected to his agent that he is keen to stay, and looked likely that he would. just passing on

How strange... I’m 100% sure he isn't staying, I know that for a fact. We can’t afford to give him the wages he wants. Unless we get new owners soon he won’t be signing. That’s coming from one of  Jonny’s best mates 
    Certainly not saying you’re wrong but I doubt many clubs will offer JW the sort of money he wants. He’s been injured forever and hasn’t commanded a first team place at The Valley. Went down a lot at Wembley too. His style draws lots of fouls. I don’t see whoever signs him will get a whole season out of him. He might get a Championship club take a punt other than us but I doubt that clubs are falling over to get to him at this stage. He’s happy and in a good place at Charlton. I think it might be the place for him for now.
  • Options
    Hopefully Bowyer is in Belgium now putting pen to paper - if not, why not?
  • Options
    Williams is quality and a player I believe that Bowyer could improve him in relation to his end product. See him as a starter in our Championship line up should be sign which I very much hope he does. Seems to be a good man with an excellent attitude.
  • Options
    Williams was without doubt, when fit,  one of our star players during the run in/play offs.  Great touch, vision and always has time - draws tons of fouls.  What we witnessed was a a guy playing for his career.  Don't think it could have worked out better for him, as his semi final and final substitute appearances showcased his ability perfectly. 

I'm really interested to see how this pans out.  Given his injury record, I wonder what the market thinks regarding his value/level of play -  From comments above, he clearly thinks he's better than than a newly promoted Championship side.  Time will tell.

• Options
    Never looked like a loan player. Showed urgency and desire in the play-off games and he left nothing behind on Sunday. He celebrated like it really meant something to him. Would love to see him sign for next season.
    He wasn't a loan player... 
  • Options
    His previous 3 seasons have seen him have Champioship loan spells with Forest, MK Dons (relegated), Ipswich and Sunderland (relegated)

That doesn't suggest to me a player on the radar of the top Championship clubs!
  • Options
    struggle to see him here come start of season would like to keep him but he wants weekly football and the danger is his body you cannot rely on, he wants to get his international career back on track and playing for either of the welsh teams in the champ may get him back in the frame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Never looked like a loan player. Showed urgency and desire in the play-off games and he left nothing behind on Sunday. He celebrated like it really meant something to him. Would love to see him sign for next season.
    yeah he signed on a short term contract 6 months 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Thanks for correcting me. I should have said short-term....
  • Options
    Always said he was a player who is more suited to the championship, hopefully we'll get to see that.
  • Options
    Swansea and Luton want him, apparently.
  • Options
    Unless a Championship club wants to pay him silly money I think we have as good a chance of keeping him as anyone else getting him. He obviously enjoyed his time with us and the whole vibe around the playing side must be buzzing. If there’s not much in it why would he uproot ?
  • Options
    I think Williams might actually play better without Aribo (not that I want to lose the latter obviously). But losing both would be a huge blow. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48396741

In the Wales squad for the June qualifiers
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Yup, he’s keen to stay. 
  • Options
    Keeper for me (if poss). I also don't think he will get chopped as much in the Championship than L1, where it's deemed slightly more acceptable to keep hacking the same player.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Keeper for me (if poss). I also don't think he will get chopped as much in the Championship than L1, where it's deemed slightly more acceptable to keep hacking the same player.

The hacking is done by different players. It's gone on for years against dangerous players....each hacker is detailed to have a go. Williams has a rep for being made of glass, so it's a no-brainer for a lot of teams. To his credit, he does take a lot of punishment but he also does milk it a bit! PS; I really like Williams and hope we sign him up....love watching him buzz about.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!