Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Poll: Are the club right to axe the women's division ? - ADD YOUR VOTE

2»

Comments

• Options
    I understand where you are coming from Mascot but surely the fact that we are bringing in youngsters to replace old lags like Fat Jimmy mean that wages are being substantially cut anyway? The savings on the women are peanuts in comparison.

It is tempting to say f@#S the PR but a reputation takes years to build yet is destroyed very quickly.

I don't think any of us follow Charlton for the success, if we do we need our bumps felt because we haven't had that much!

We follow Charlton because they are different and innovative. Do we want to lose our soul?

I'm not suggesting that this measure will do that but it is a step in that direction.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fair enough len i understand were your coming from too, its jsut that in the changing world of football we really have got one or a maximum of two years to get back up before we have to readress the whole thing... I mean look at Palace buying some piece of Millwal reject for peanuts cause theve been out the Prem for just two years!

We all know that we'd all follow charlton in the conference if need be but Pards has come in with a different attitude to previous managers and has said right lets get serious and although it is small money I think its a sign of intent that we want back in and we are prepared to take the measures that are necessary..

I spose nowadays in the world of modern football when we have all the money in the world we can look at things we can do for the women but at the moment priority number one is the first team... thats all im saying...

Also that small monay is a players wages for the second half of the season, if we need to bring someone in, that pays for an experienced right backs left leg if we need it in jan... its a contribution.. its over half the fee for moutakil, its theis new portugese guys wages for a third of the season... it helps.. Priorities is all im on about.
  • Options
    It just doesn't sit well even if you don't give a toss about womens footy, the point is that the club are happy to promote the womens team and now it's all come crashing down due to our recent relegation how about some sort of explanation to clarify the clubs stance,the manager Keith bonas has been left in limbo, he will have to break the news to ALL the players, not very nice, what will happen to the players, it's not good pr from charltons point of view,i know the season has finished but charlton should make someone available to explain why this decision was made.
    The general opinion is couldn't care less, from peeps that haven't even seen the women play,fair enough but it's not a reason to get rid.
    i'm sure money could be found,i'm in a minority but i think it's a cop-out.
    just my point of view.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No - The decision is wrong and raises concern about club management - consistency is the key - no matter the financial impact - the decision is totally inconsistent with the clubs stated aims and profile - 7yrs good work has been undone, the only excuse is if the Ladies section budget was out of control but even then there should have been contingency planning - in either event it does not inspire continued confidence - the skills to manage business retrenchment are significantly different from those needed for business expansion.

Grapevine49
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    Weegie, i'm not being sexist at all - just stating business decisions. I'm sorry if i've offended any women but i'd be exactly the same regading other areas of the club that were losing us money.

Just because i have strong views on the subject does not make me a sexist.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Grapevine49[/cite]No - The decision is wrong and raises concern about club management - consistency is the key - no matter the financial impact - the decision is totally inconsistent with the clubs stated aims and profile - 7yrs good work has been undone, the only excuse is if the Ladies section budget was out of control but even then there should have been contingency planning - in either event it does not inspire continued confidence - the skills to manage business retrenchment are significantly different from those needed for business expansion.

Grapevine49

Surely the key aim of the club is a return to the Premiership? Not sure in what way this will have any impact at all on that, other than to maybe free up some more salary budget for the first team?

How many people actually ever took any interest in the Ladies team? If there was a material number then they would have been financially self sufficient. All this stuff about negative PR and community schemes is just irrelevant in my eyes. It'll cost us a couple of dozen fans at most and save us far more than they would have brought in. I really don't understand the furore?
  • Options
    I must admit i did take my daughter down to watch them the other season down at Gravesend hoping that she would start coming to watch the mens side,we left after 10 mins it put her off and she hated it!at least i tried!lol
  • Options
    In the absense of the official statement on streamlining, that will include the women's section, they really should think about removing the bit which says about the women's pre-seasons friendlies coming soon !

http://www.cafcwomen.co.uk/
  • Options
    I couldn't find a box that said "It's a bleedin waste of money and I can't believe we've been chucking cash at it for as long as we have", so voted "yes".
  • Options
    I see a full 32 people have voted "no". That's a hell of a large squad they're keeping.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I voted yes, Stuff happens in the world people get made redundant, it just so happens that this 'department' thats been made surplus to requirements. If it pays for staff to retain their jobs elsewhere in the 'company' in positions deemed more important then so be it...we have no obligation to anyone or anything beyond the shareholders and if the club wants to make that decision then thats fine by me.

I could understand the outcry if we said we were scrapping making the match day programme as we'd made a loss on them every game, there has after all been programmes for 100 years. This lot only appeared 5 years ago when we 'sponsored' Croydon Ladies, we have no long term history with womens football and i feel little affiliation to them or their players.

You could count the number of people drawn to Charlton Althletic based on womens football on one hand, if they'd been that influenced by womens football they would go and watch the ladies play rather than the first team. Girls will still be able to learn from Charlton community staff, and have contact with Charlton Athletic and hopefully go on and support the club...

A cynic might suggest that we only took on the ladies in the first place for a bit of PR and a grant from sports England.
  • Options
    Shouldn't the women's team just accept that they're not that good, certainly not worth watching, and just get on with it themselves as us men who aren't that good do?

For any that think they are good enough: appeal to the EU of the grounds of sexual discrimination.
    Why shouldn't women play with the men if they are good enough?
  • Options
    No from me....i can understand all the comments about the standard of womens football ,its not even close to what we see every day on tv, and never will be ...all down to physical attributes (not sexist....FACT..) but if all you football purists.........? look back 15 years to the mighty premiership in its infancy it was a pretty ordinary affair.... with a lot players involved who would never get a sniff at modern day football .
    womens football is developing at lightning pace, and while lots of other league sides are fighting to put their name to a womens set up from under 10 level to senoirs , Charlton ...... who have been one main players in the whole set up ,pull the plug over a reported 100 000 budget for the season .
    This is not just about scrapping a few teams,this is about peoples education and futures ,if you are good enough to picked to play for charlton ,you are then working towards the charlton academy at 16 which involves a 3 year college with football coaching 4 afternoons a week , which may then lead to reserve or first team football, so the system is in place from an early age
    The descision by mr Varney to scrap the whole centre of excellence set up ,has left around 60 or more kids who are due to start or are half way through college with nothing only 1 week before the closing date for most college courses
    All the girls at Charlton were proud to play for the club ,as were the senior players who gave up alot of their own time and drove up to 2 hours each way to get to training twice a week (AFTER WORK!!!!!!!!!!!) ..........maybe if some of the first team showed this much commitment to the cause ...the club would not be where it is today
    and in response to an earlier comment about the money being spent elsewhere in the club ,when you play a club you do become a fan and i have taken my kids to the valley on numerous occasions this season only because my daughter plays ...(PLAYED......SORRY)...for them, as have many others parents, so in the long term maybe 100000 is not a bad investment for a possible 200 plus young fans and their families
    Womens football will miss Charlton and i hope the rescue package from outside sponsors works.
    Mr Varney seems to have had another mad moment to add to his flapping list since curbs left .......tried to get peter taylor FAILED........billy davies FAILED why didnt they want a premiership job???........... sacked dowie after 12 games,........ panic is on ,............les ..............????? exactly 5 weeks ...........charlton were on the slide and you fans should look to the top of the tree for the reason why.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: alandkay[/cite]
    Mr Varney seems to have had another mad moment to add to his flapping list since curbs left .......tried to get peter taylor FAILED........billy davies FAILED why didnt they want a premiership job???........... sacked dowie after 12 games,........ panic is on ,............les ..............????? exactly 5 weeks ...........charlton were on the slide and you fans should look to the top of the tree for the reason why

welcome to the site.

BTW, being bitter really isn't going to help your argument.
  • Options
    Peter Varney is the CE. He is an employer of the club. He is not the Chairman of the football club board or of the PLC board.

The final decisions on budgets, hiring and firing, the women's team etc are made by the board of Directors not by Peter Varney although he does make a significant and, IMHO, valuable contribution.

I think because Peter is the public face people assume that he is the ultimate decision maker. Not so.

If you have to blame someone then blame the Directors although I personally don't think the players and coaches can be absolved.

I also think that every since the new Supporters' Director joined things have gone wrong. Coincidence? ; - )
  • Options
    i do understand this henry, i was using his name cause thats what they pay him for...... as the manager takes the rap for team results .......i still think long term Charlto are going to lose more cash by scrapping a constant flow of potential fan base for the sake of quite small investment in football terms
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: alandkay[/cite]i do understand this henry, i was using his name cause thats what they pay him for...... as the manager takes the rap for team results

I disagree with that but let's just leave it there.
    [cite]Posted By: alandkay[/cite]i still think long term Charlto are going to lose more cash by scrapping a constant flow of potential fan base for the sake of quite small investment in football terms

That's possible but I've not seen any evidence to support this as I have to show how, for example Valley Express, brings in fans. You mentioned that many of the women/girls teams and family attended games. Can you tell me how this worked. Did they have season tickets, buy individual tickets, buy block tickets from the club or get reduced/free tickets? I ask as I like to be able to track, if possible, what the take up was.

I am sorry that you daughter has lost her team and hope she can find an alternative
  • Options
    i only got 1 complimentary ticket in 4 years and that was for a monday night game live on sky all the rest were paid for full price at the ground when i could get them , people will support a team they feel part of , lots have become season ticket holders,............ but please think long term, a clubs fanbase is built over generations and the club has taken this option away from 200 plus people by thinking short term
    all i was saying is that charlton who pride themselves on their community work have disregarded a lot of hard work that has been done over the past 7 years and yes cut backs were expected but this was harsh
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.