Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When they missed that last pen...

Comments

• 100% I thought we then had to score again, thought I was the only one! 
  • Pretty bizarre actually, I knew we had won when he missed, but I didn't realise we had won if Naby scored. In my head I was adamant they would score and it was going to sudden death, maybe that's why 
  • Did anyone else think we had to take another one and score? 
    You need new glasses
  • Watching on tele I knew. I started wondering why the reaction was so muted inside the stadium..
  • Didn't even realise Sarrs was for the win
  • What the heck just happened!
  • But looking at the highlights it was an odd reaction from Rowe. Don't think he even knew. 
  • JT said:
    But looking at the highlights it was an odd reaction from Rowe. Don't think he even knew. 
    He just starts trotting back
  • Sponsored links:

• Weather not too clever for next Sunday at Wembley 
  • This is hilarious! I wasn't at the game but watched the pens on TV. My eldest who is a REAL fan was at a work dinner that he simply could not get out of and I gave commentary on the phone. When they missed their 5th pen I said "Right you're through, now go back to your dinner." He then rang me back straight away and said "What's happened? How can we be through?" 
     I then went down to my pub and all the local fans started to come in and all said the same! How did we win that shoot out? Surely we needed to score again etc etc. I think everyone was just so caught up in the emotion of such a big night. Crazy!
  • JT said:
    But looking at the highlights it was an odd reaction from Rowe. Don't think he even knew. 
    He just starts trotting back
    I know, just looks like a miss but it's not over reaction. 
  • edited May 2019
    Standing in the north lower you can’t see the bottom of the goal. So when he took it and the net didn’t bulge it was really surreal. Then he started jogging back lol
  • Knew if Naby scored we won, but then he missed, then they missed so still thought we had to score again. Wrong!!!

Oh what a night...
  • Wait.... we won???
  • Well if you're going by the Jose Mourinho definition then no we didn't - we lost on the night or drew on aggregate :-)
  • You can include me in the ‘confused’ club!
  • Yes I was looking for the ref to signal everyone had jumped the gun. I'd just told me nephew it was all square when Nabby didn't score.  And yes I've woken up at 5.00 and can't get back to sleep 
  • When Naby missed I at first thought it was sudden death, as did the fella next to me. Realised they had 1 pen left just before he took it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Helpfully, the commentators on Sky explained as it was happening. Couldn’t believe their guy put it wide. Part of Phillips’ mind games with their takers seemed to be saying “Don’t miss!”  to them as they were spotting the ball.
  • Watching back on the tv it’s obvious with the green and red boxes Andy the commentary. But at the game I genuinely lost track and when he missed I though if we score the next one we’ve done it, I suppose because I knew if Naby scored we’d won. The players and coaching staff went mad when he missed and I just thought they’d got this wrong and waited for the ref to restore order
  • Did anyone else think we had to take another one and score? 
    I had lost track but heard somebody say if they miss this we are going to Wembley and realised they were one kick behind and we were one goal up 
  • Weather not too clever for next Sunday at Wembley 
    The game is next Sunday ??? I can’t keep up 😀
  • I knew Sarrs was to win it,but was a bit shocked when their guy put his so wide so the moment did not really sink in until the pitch invasion.
  • It really was as though time stood still

Was keeping count so knew that Sarr's penalty would give us a win whilst they had to score their next

When he missed though it took me a few moments to realise; i.e. Phillips seemed slow getting up and the players didnt instantly rush forward to celebrate, when they did it was completely in slow motion
  • Luckily I have four fingers and a thumb on each hand, so no... 
  • No, but when Sarr stepped up for his I was furiously trying to remember if he was our fourth or fifth taker. Didn't want to go nuts then find or it wasn't over. By the time their lad stepped up I'd worked it out.
  • I only realised we'd won when the invasion happened. Had no idea Sarr's pen was to win it.
    Would have been funny if the pitch invasion had just been caused by a comically bad penalty.