Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What does the sell-out tell us about our club?

Comments

• Options
    I agree with the article apart from the last paragraph which reads -

"Finally, I'd suggest that the massive turn out makes a statement to Roland Duchatelet. The club owner seems to be far more interested in insulting supporters and congratulating other clubs than in getting behind his (still contract-less) manager and the team. The 25,000 fans cheering on the team on Friday are saying: We can't stop you making foolish statements and embarrassing our club but we are here despite that. We are not undermining our club. We are not causing a distraction. We are one hundred per cent behind the team. We were here before you came and we will be here long after you've gone."

I believe few if any are coming tomorrow to make a statement to RD.

They are coming because many fans like to be connected to success.

They are coming because it could be a great & memorable night.

If the missing fans were coming to make a statement to RD, why will they only be there tomorrow ?

Anyway, welcome back one and all, we will never grow without returning and new fans.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Quite a few bandwagoners I personally know 3 arsenal fans attending which does piss me off a little 
    Why would Arsenal fans even be interested in this game?!
    That old south-east London thing?
  • Options
    We love a bandwagon!
  • Options
    We love a bandwagon!
    Not as much as the Gills fans do 'Wheels on your house go round and round'.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Possibly an unpopular opinion but...I think it shows in part that the boycotts weren’t really just about Roland’s ownership and there are a fair few who were staying away because the football was rubbish. 
    is for me, reason I won't be there ...
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    se9addick said:
    Possibly an unpopular opinion but...I think it shows in part that the boycotts weren’t really just about Roland’s ownership and there are a fair few who were staying away because the football was rubbish. 
    Oh dear oh dear.....it could be countered by saying those that have been going are selfish and just dont care about the club. They say they do, but actions speak louder than words. But I wouldn't say that, oh no....
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I don't think the absolute boycotters are than many in number, say 500 to 1000, i.e. people who's boycott is completely about Roland and would come back straight away even if we were playing Concord in the National League.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Quite a few bandwagoners I personally know 3 arsenal fans attending which does piss me off a little 
    Why would Arsenal fans even be interested in this game?!
    That old south-east London thing?

They gave up their rights to the proud heritage of south-east London over 100 years ago.

F*ck 'em

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I don't think the absolute boycotters are than many in number, say 500 to 1000, i.e. people who's boycott is completely about Roland and would come back straight away even if we were playing Concord in the National League.
    I’m not sure it’s really a boycott if you come back once the team gets into the playoffs!
  • Options
    Arsenal fans coming to the valley for a bit of glory hunting. 
    Who'd a thought it 
  • Options

It's says we have the ability to attract large crowds. It doesn't say that we would sell-out every game (even in the Championship) if/when two sheds sells.

• Options
    Glovepup said:
    LTKapal said:
    That we have a lot more glory fans than previously , our bandwagon is catching up with the scum
    I didn't realise there was such thing as a league one glory supporter
    well they don't come all season to the run of the mill league one fixtures and then when a big league one play off game comes along with Wembley close by they turn up , voila 

Why does it matter? Let's just enjoy the ride. 
    This, this and this.

What's the point of all these naval gazing threads ?
    Can't we just enjoy ourselves, at least for the next 29 hours.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    This attendance will only help us get the club sold, huge potential being shown once again. This coupled with our location and our academy consistently developing quality players, shows the club is a fantastic purchase..at the right place. 
  • Options
    If someone sitting next to me starts giving it the blood blood fam fam....

You'll be vexed bro.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    That we have a lot more glory fans than previously , our bandwagon is catching up with the scum
    well they don't come all season to the run of the mill league one fixtures and then when a big league one play off game comes along with Wembley close by they turn up , voila 

Sorry but I think this is completely untrue. I go to Charlton moat weeks but not every game. When I do go I have about 6 different groups of people I message round to see if they are up for coming (school friends, uni friends, work friends, family, other half's family etc.). Most of these people would call themselves Charlton fans if not they would 'support' a premier league club but never go and be fairly regular at Charlton. Most games I only end up with 2/3 people attending with me from that group of 30. But over the course of the season all of them will come at least a couple of times. 

The difference for tomorrow is that all of these occasional attendees are coming. Every sigle one of them. Most of them aren't even attending with me. They have all come off their own backs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glovepup said:
    LTKapal said:

This, this and this.

With the rogering Roland will be giving us next season too right we should enjoy the next 28 hours.
  • Options
    I really don't get this - why?
    Presumably had to jump through hoops to get tickets and the game is already on TV.
    What are they getting out of this?
    Tossers (no offence to you intended)
    hardly had to jump through hoops the match has been on general sale for some time, like a lot of these big club supporters they count there sky card as a season ticket, i have a mate who's an arsenal fan but comes to away games with me just for the piss up and going football with some mates plus the cost of a league 1 away day is about the same as a match at the sanitised emirates. 
  • Options
    I really don't get this - why?
    Presumably had to jump through hoops to get tickets and the game is already on TV.
    What are they getting out of this?
    Tossers (no offence to you intended)
    hardly had to jump through hoops the match has been on general sale for some time, like a lot of these big club supporters they count there sky card as a season ticket, i have a mate who's an arsenal fan but comes to away games with me just for the piss up and going football with some mates plus the cost of a league 1 away day is about the same as a match at the sanitised emirates. 
    But then in the old days, before season tickets became the norm, attendances did used to vary enormously from game to game. Good opposition, a bit of form, nice weather (for standing on an open terrace) would all bump the crowd numbers significantly.
  • Options
    Very proud to be a Charlton fan and it’s great  that we’ve sold this game out, Airman’s article in VOTV summed it up

This should be the best atmosphere since Boro in the cup 

Gonna be weird where I sit in the middle of the East to be full as it’s been a long long time since that happened 

COYR
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Glovepup said:
    LTKapal said:

This, this and this.

With the rogering Roland will be giving us next season too right we should enjoy the next 28 hours.

Speak for yourself!
  • Options
    Only football match going on 
  • Options
    Let's all be adult about this sell out at the Valley that no one predicted after last season's 14K against Shrewsbury.

Time to enjoy and be grown up and....

Yippee only one more sleep before the biggest match at the Valley for years.
  • Options
    Two points from me: 

1. I don’t think the fans of other clubs turning up is anything more than they’re coming with Charlton mates, in the main. My bro is bringing a West Ham mate. He likes us and chance to see us in a big fixture and my bro wants to show him we can create a decent atmosphere. I’m sure this scenario is repeated many times.

2. Like Canters said above, people think all the extra tomorrow are rocking up for the first time. The reality is we have a lot of fans who attend occasionally but will ALL be coming tomorrow night due to the scenario. 

Both normal situations for a club our size.
    The scenario was the same last season though a play off semi final.
    It's not even like a lot of the tickets were sold after Sunday's win they were sold before.
    Canters mates must of done a couple of games last season.
    There's an extra 10000 Charlton tomorrow.
    I still think rolands bought 8000 of them