Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stephen Henderson - officially appointed Men's 1st team goalkeeping coach (p4)

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Goalkeeping went backwards under Shimell - can’t say if he was at fault for it but  I was warned when we got him thst he didn’t have a particularly good reputation in the game.

on to the new chap now and you’d like to think Hendo is modern enough as a goalie - just got to hope he’s got the formal training too and we get the best out of AMB and Istead.
    Interesting. Makes you wonder how he got the gig in the first place then. 

A bit like Henderson then, has he obtained coaching badges etc?  It appears this would be his first job as a coach.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Havant & Waterlooville (H) 6/11/21
    Gateshead (A) 3/12/21
    Norwich (H) 9/1/22
    Crewe (A) 12/1/22
    Cheltenham (A) 15/1/22
  • Options
    Best of luck, Hendo.
    Anything to do with Isted coming for crosses now?

• Options
    I think it is more telling that for all Scott's talk of going through a thorough recruitment process to ensure that coaches fit the club's model the two recruits we have seen have been "old boys network"

EG O'Donnell was previously MA's assistant and Pearce had bought Henderson presumably because he knew him and is local.

That's not to say that either are bad appointments, just that they appear from the outside to be more traditional then the talk suggested.

And we still haven't appointed the Director of Performance mentioned when the club was taken over or replaced George Jones who was running Charlton TV and the other streaming/video services.
    I don’t think a thorough recruitment process was needed regards O’Donnell. MA was quite rightly allowed to bring in ‘his’ man. Of course checks needed to be made to ensure he was suitable but managers like to bring in people they can trust, people whose views they respect, people who they know they can rely on. Recent previous managers were not allowed to do so and look how that worked out.

Henderson I agree on the surface looks different. You can only assume that MA has liked what he’s seen from Henderson and believes he can work successfully with him. Only time will tell. Or maybe their paths have crossed before anyway.
  • Options
    I think it is more telling that for all Scott's talk of going through a thorough recruitment process to ensure that coaches fit the club's model the two recruits we have seen have been "old boys network"

EG O'Donnell was previously MA's assistant and Pearce had bought Henderson presumably because he knew him and is local.

That's not to say that either are bad appointments, just that they appear from the outside to be more traditional then the talk suggested.

And we still haven't appointed the Director of Performance mentioned when the club was taken over or replaced George Jones who was running Charlton TV and the other streaming/video services.
    I don’t think a thorough recruitment process was needed regards O’Donnell. MA was quite rightly allowed to bring in ‘his’ man. Of course checks needed to be made to ensure he was suitable but managers like to bring in people they can trust, people whose views they respect, people who they know they can rely on. Recent previous managers were not allowed to do so and look how that worked out.

Henderson I agree on the surface looks different. You can only assume that MA has liked what he’s seen from Henderson and believes he can work successfully with him. Only time will tell. Or maybe their paths have crossed before anyway.
    Yes I am with you on this, and have no issue with it, they may well have started looking at other options, but clearly he has impressed. 

Personally good sensible appointments in my opinion. 

Director of Performance - surely that would be Andy Scott's role? What would a job role be for Director of Performance? 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Yes I am with you on this, and have no issue with it, they may well have started looking at other options, but clearly he has impressed. 

Director of Performance - surely that would be Andy Scott's role? What would a job role be for Director of Performance? 
    No, Scott is Technical Director.

A Director of Performance looks after, according to Scott, fitness, sports science, medical and similar.

And we still haven't filled that position despite announcing the intention when the takeover happened.

Again I have no issue with Appleton bringing in his own coaching staff, I think that is a good thing and it was a failing under Atkins and Holden.

It's just not, it appears, the recruitment process that was described by Scott.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

No, Scott is Technical Director.

A Director of Performance looks after, according to Scott, fitness, sports science, medical and similar.

And we still haven't filled that position despite announcing the intention when the takeover happened.

Again I have no issue with Appleton bringing in his own coaching staff, I think that is a good thing and it was a failing under Atkins and Holden.

It's just not, it appears, the recruitment process that was described by Scott.
    I would have thought what you mentioned the role of DOP would fall under Andy Scott's remit. I would say that is all technical? Or is Andy Scott only just recruitment? If so, he would need to change job title to Director of Recruitment?
  • Options
    Everything football related ultimately falls under Scott but Director of Performance is a distinct role the new management announced and described 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everything football related ultimately falls under Scott but Director of Performance is a distinct role the new management announced and described 
    Not sure it should be titled Director of Performance.. Maybe head of performance, that then reports in to Scott.. 
  • Options
    "Scott will join Managing Director Jim Rodwell, Group Finance Director Ed Warrick and a soon to be appointed Director of Performance on Charlton’s new SMT. The trio will be joined on the Charlton Board of Directors, chaired by Rodwell, by two Non-Executive Directors in former Charlton player Paul Elliott and GFP investor Gavin Carter."

26 July 2023 announcement on the OS of Andy Scott's appointment 

It isn't me saying "Director of Performance" it's the club.

I'm pointing out that two months later they still haven't been announced 
    I get that, but it is a strange position and title.. Just not sure what it would be bring to the table, and questions what actually is Andy Scott's role!
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I have no recollection of the 2 games he apparently played for us in 2021
    I paid silly money for his shirt from the Norwich game. Be worth a fraction of that now but least it went to the Upbeats! 
  • Options
    I think ODonnell was MA’s no.3 when David Kerslake was his no.2 and Kerslake has been involved in talks but O’Donnell would have been the cheaper option , maybe Kerslake comes in as well 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Still only 35 , wonder if he will sign on as a player in the case of emergency?
    I did think the same thing to be fair.
  • Options
    May I politely suggest Henderson has a strong reputation in the game.

He did indeed step up to take ownership of the media duties after that abysmal team performance under Fraeye. 

Roy Hodgson took him to Palace 2019/ 2021 at the end of his career to cover as the 3rd string keeper. The Palace keeping coach is Dean Kiely.

Michael Appleton worked with Roy Hodgson in 2011 at West Brom however the primary connection with Henderson was he was his Manager at Portsmouth during the Championship 2011/12 Season. 

Playing at Left Centre Back in that team was one Jason Pearce.

Henderson also worked with Ben Roberts at both Yeovil and Charlton. That's experience of working with two good coaches that he can draw on, and great contacts to turn to for advice. Doesn't mean he'll definitely work out, but I have a good feeling about him.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:
    Best of luck, Hendo.

Yes a coach changed a 26 year olds game in 3 weeks because no one had ever suggested it to him before...
    Duh! That was tongue in cheek but I do so love a smart arse.
  • Options
    Major said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Major said:
    Best of luck, Hendo.

Yes a coach changed a 26 year olds game in 3 weeks because no one had ever suggested it to him before...
    Duh! That was tongue in cheek but I do so love a smart arse.
    Who doesn't 😘
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think with Isted now injured surley it would make sense to get him registered as emergency 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    CH4RLTON said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think with Isted now injured surley it would make sense to get him registered as emergency 
    Registering him would mean we couldn't get an emergency loan if AMB got injured. 
  • Options
    Jed Steer is available if we need a free agent.
  • Options
    Hope we get the three International call ups again, because if we don't and Ash gets called up by Australia again...
  • Options
    Hope we get the three International call ups again, because if we don't and Ash gets called up by Australia again...
    Games already off and Isted would be back by the next international break anyway?
  • Options
    "Scott will join Managing Director Jim Rodwell, Group Finance Director Ed Warrick and a soon to be appointed Director of Performance on Charlton’s new SMT. The trio will be joined on the Charlton Board of Directors, chaired by Rodwell, by two Non-Executive Directors in former Charlton player Paul Elliott and GFP investor Gavin Carter."

26 July to 6 November and still not announced after four months.

It is possible the person is in post and is working their notice but slightly concerning that what was clearly seen as a significant role, hence the board membership, is still not resolved especially as we hear redundancies are being made elsewhere.
  • Options

It is possible the person is in post and is working their notice but slightly concerning that what was clearly seen as a significant role, hence the board membership, is still not resolved especially as we hear redundancies are being made elsewhere.
    Whats this got to do with Stephen Henderson?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

Whats this got to do with Stephen Henderson?
    Everything 
  • Options
    Alfie May has revealed that goalkeeping coach Stephen Henderson had vital input into his penalty-taking approach in Charlton Athletic’s 2-1 win over Cheltenham Town.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/alfie-may-quick-to-hand-credit-to-goalkeeping-coach-for-converting-both-penalties-in-charlton-athletic-win/
  • Options
    Is he still here? Can't see him warming up with the goalies.