Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best ever Friday night game?

13»

Comments

• Options
    robroy said:
    Did we play Ipswich on a Friday or was it midweek? When I think we might have been 2 or 3 down and come back and won, I was in the west stand and everyone was throwing their programmes onto the pitch. That was a great comeback!
    That was New Years day if I remember 
    Think Marcus Bent Scored both Ipwich’s goals inside the first 10 mins.
    Kin freezing that day
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Think we played the Gills in 1976? Which was a good night
    80/81 season
  • Options
    Don’t remember the Southampton game as a Friday night, but didn’t laurie mcmenemy always say it was his worse memory as a manager ?

one that was a Friday night was when we beat Nottm forest who were running away with the league and killer appeared on the Saturday lunchtime programme next day and when asked about it said something along the lines that we’d stuffed them 
    14th January 1977 my first ever Charlton game 2-1 we won ....

fffs why did I have to like Charlton and football its ruined my life 
  • Options
    Don’t remember the Southampton game as a Friday night, but didn’t laurie mcmenemy always say it was his worse memory as a manager ?

one that was a Friday night was when we beat Nottm forest who were running away with the league and killer appeared on the Saturday lunchtime programme next day and when asked about it said something along the lines that we’d stuffed them 

Forest smashed up Charlton Village that night.
  • Options
    Never knew that , we’d have driven and parked down the bottom woolwich road 
  • Options

Another memorable match. As I recall an awful lot of fans were walked round the pitch and out the gate that night. An almost constant stream in the second half if memory serves me right!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Another memorable match. As I recall an awful lot of fans were walked round the pitch and out the gate that night. An almost constant stream in the second half if memory serves me right!
    I know Forest tried to take the Covered End. I think some stayed in for the whole game.
  • Options
    Charlton 3 Preston 1
    Was that friday ? Always thought it was midweek
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Pedro45 said:
    Charlton 4 Cardiff 0 1968/9

That was Good Friday Morning
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Then beat Boro 2-0 at home next day on the Saturday and drew with Birmingham away on the Monday 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

Then beat Boro 2-0 at home next day on the Saturday and drew with Birmingham away on the Monday 
    Boro yes but can't remember Birmingham (not saying your wrong just saying I can't remember :smiley: ) By the way wasn't Cardiff 4-1 ?
  • Options
    Remember a very standard home game against Tranmere in 99(?) turning into a classic 2-0 down to 3-2 up - never forgotten that one.
    NOT on a Friday.
  • Options

Hugh Macauley scored that night when Shilton misjudged a cross.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Boro yes but can't remember Birmingham (not saying your wrong just saying I can't remember :smiley: ) By the way wasn't Cardiff 4-1 ?
    Yes 4 up by half time. Toshack scored their late consolation .
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I think it was only drawing at Birmingham on bank holiday Easter  Monday that gave palace the edge on the last day, which we cocked anyway by losing at home 
  • Options
    To Preston .
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Remember a very standard home game against Tranmere in 99(?) turning into a classic 2-0 down to 3-2 up - never forgotten that one.
    I fairly sure there was a Friday night game against tranmere in the early 70s. There was no enthusiasm for it among my lot who just wanted to get in the pub early for the usual Friday night out. Just two of us went in the end and met up with the others afterwards. Turned out to be a great decision because we won what turned out to be a great game
  • Options
    Wasn’t the play off replay with Leeds a Friday night. 
  • Options
    Charlton v Doncaster, Friday 17th May 2019.

Bloody amazing game that day, one of the best performances I’ve seen in a long while, atmosphere was unreal too.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I think it was only drawing at Birmingham on bank holiday Easter  Monday that gave palace the edge on the last day, which we cocked anyway by losing at home 
    Lost 1st game millwall last game Preston & drew 8 (I'm sure) other home games. That's what done us. even so what a team we had
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton v Southampton 4-1 and 6-2
    Charlton v West Brom 2-1
    Charlton v Notts forest (year they went up from div 2 to top league) 2-1
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Yes 4 up by half time. Toshack scored their late consolation .
    4-1 was the half time score.
  • Options
    I remember us beating Cambridge United 5-0 ( I think ) on a Friday back in the 80’s .
    Pissing down with rain & virtually everyone in The Covered End ?
    Blimey. My memory isn't good enough to remember the weather!
    But if you’re proper Charlton you’ll remember the time your train arrived. 
  • Options
    Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal