Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best ever Friday night game?

Comments

• Options
    The 6-2 Southampton game and (I think) a 1-0 Hales goal to beat Palace on a cold January night during our promotion season. 
  • Options
    Definitely Southampton 6-2. Two full internationals up front for Southampton in Channon & McDougall, but Hales/Flanagan/Powell dominated. 
  • Options
    The 6-2 Southampton game and (I think) a 1-0 Hales goal to beat Palace on a cold January night during our promotion season. 
    That was my first ever Charlton game . I didn’t realise it was on a Friday 
  • Options
    That was my first ever Charlton game . I didn’t realise it was on a Friday 
    Southampton or Palace ? I’m not 100% that the palace game was a Friday. Pretty sure but not completely !
  • Options
    Charlton 3 Preston 1
    Leave off, that was a Tuesday or maybe Wednesday.
  • Options
    6-2 Southampton, they held the FA Cup ?, put us top of the league for the night ? Killer was brilliant
  • Options
    Didn’t we beat Palace at home on a Friday night? Luke Varney or Matt Spring scoring?

Southend is a good shout too
    It was that Palace game when Lee chucked us all out of The Bugle early doors.
    RIP Lee.
  • Options
    I remember beating Orient 5-2 
    just looked it up friday 12th March 1982 
    how the hell i remember that old chuff when i was 11

5,871 the gate 

Was going to mention this one
     I was there too. Age 15.

• Options
    Grimsby away 1999, a 5-2 win. 
    I was there.
  • Options
    I remember us beating Cambridge United 5-0 ( I think ) on a Friday back in the 80’s .
    Pissing down with rain & virtually everyone in The Covered End ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread shows how few Friday games we've played!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    One for the older fans but one that still sticks in my mind.

A 1-0 victory over Palace in our 74/75 promotion season. Lot of rivalry between the teams that year (nothing changes) and we played them off the park that evening. And what I always remember is that in a crowd of over 26,000 you could have counted the Palace fans on the fingers on a couple of hands - they simply never turned up for what was a huge derby.

A great Friday evening.
  • Options
    I remember beating Orient 5-2 
    just looked it up friday 12th March 1982 
    how the hell i remember that old chuff when i was 11

5,871 the gate 
    Steve Gritt smashed home the 5th or maybe 4th ?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Southampton 6-2

I remember watching Nationwide before I left for the game as they were doing a piece about Southampton. They walked passed their trophy room with the F A Cup in the corner and the Southampton bloke said "Oh that? Just something we picked up in the summer".

I remember their goalkeeper having to pick the ball out of the back of the net six times later than evening.
    This one. Paddy Powell made or scored every one of the six I think
  • Options

Think the Preston game was on a Tuesday, sure we beat Palace on a Friday that season.

I missed the Southampton 6-2 (last home game I missed for 9 years I think), but the 4-1 against them was pretty good as well.

If you were at the Preston match, you'd still have been celebrating on the Friday...
  • Options
    Leeds 1, Charlton 2. May 29 1987.  
    Surely this debate ends here. Best CAFC game ever.
  • Options
    Leeds 1, Charlton 2. May 29 1987.  
    Surely this debate ends here. Best CAFC game ever.
    I always thought that was a Thursday for some reason
  • Options
    I remember us beating Cambridge United 5-0 ( I think ) on a Friday back in the 80’s .
    Blimey. My memory isn't good enough to remember the weather!
  • Options
    One for the older fans but one that still sticks in my mind.

A 1-0 victory over Palace in our 74/75 promotion season. Lot of rivalry between the teams that year (nothing changes) and we played them off the park that evening. And what I always remember is that in a crowd of over 26,000 you could have counted the Palace fans on the fingers on a couple of hands - they simply never turned up for what was a huge derby.

A great Friday evening.
    That’s the one I mentioned earlier but wasn’t certain it was a Friday. Was a huge crowd for a division 3 game.
  • Options
    Southampton. Cracking game and atmosphere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember a very standard home game against Tranmere in 99(?) turning into a classic 2-0 down to 3-2 up - never forgotten that one.
  • Options
    Blimey. My memory isn't good enough to remember the weather!
    21/1/84    5-2.
  • Options
    Remember a very standard home game against Tranmere in 99(?) turning into a classic 2-0 down to 3-2 up - never forgotten that one.
    Did Shaun Newton score a 25 yarder ?
  • Options
    Charlton v Southampton without a doubt! 
  • Options
    Did Shaun Newton score a 25 yarder ?
    Header?
  • Options
    Don’t remember the Southampton game as a Friday night, but didn’t laurie mcmenemy always say it was his worse memory as a manager ?

one that was a Friday night was when we beat Nottm forest who were running away with the league and killer appeared on the Saturday lunchtime programme next day and when asked about it said something along the lines that we’d stuffed them 
  • Options
    Don’t remember the Southampton game as a Friday night, but didn’t laurie mcmenemy always say it was his worse memory as a manager ?

one that was a Friday night was when we beat Nottm forest who were running away with the league and killer appeared on the Saturday lunchtime programme next day and when asked about it said something along the lines that we’d stuffed them 
    Wasn’t that around 1978? Just before Forest became formidable in Europe
  • Options
    Think we played the Gills in 1976? Which was a good night
  • Options
    The Shaun Newton header was from the edge of the box and was against Huddersfield. We absolutely battered then and Newtons header was the only goal 

I remember a Friday night Tranmere game when Pat Nevin broke his leg giving away a penalty that would have been 97 I reckon 

The Varney 2 goal game against Palace was magical. He was the player i always thought he was that night. Unplayable 
  • Options
    Charlton 4 Saints 1 - Friday 31 Oct 1975.

My dad wouldn’t take me to the 6-2 Saints game & I was gutted when I found out the score