Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IGOR - Gone West(erlo) p.10

Comments

• Glad that Forster-Caskey is also fully fit still

Was really surprised he missed out on the bench for Rochdale and was worried he'd picked up another injury
    As was I, fully anticipated he would be involved and went along with what I had been told. Maybe Bowyer just felt Morgan deserved it as he has been involved through phases of the season. Great that he is all set to go though.
  • I think LB has faith in Parker & Vetokele might only be on the bench next Friday in any case. Assuming LB is not telling porkies & it is only a muscle injury then I'd hope he'd be fit in 2 weeks time. 
  • For any Donny fans, players and coaches just browsing.

Im really pleased Igor is 100% fighting fit, you won’t be able to contain the lad, just a question, will you let him keep the match ball, when he bangs in a hat trick?
  • Sage said:
    Glad that Forster-Caskey is also fully fit still

Was really surprised he missed out on the bench for Rochdale and was worried he'd picked up another injury
    As was I, fully anticipated he would be involved and went along with what I had been told. Maybe Bowyer just felt Morgan deserved it as he has been involved through phases of the season. Great that he is all set to go though.
    Who would we have left off the bench to make way for JFC though? We're so strong in central midfield at the moment, when you consider on Saturday we were missing from the starting 11 Reeves, Williams, Pratley, Lapslie, Marshall, Fosu and JFC
  • Sage said:
    Glad that Forster-Caskey is also fully fit still

Who would we have left off the bench to make way for JFC though? We're so strong in central midfield at the moment, when you consider on Saturday we were missing from the starting 11 Reeves, Williams, Pratley, Lapslie, Marshall, Fosu and JFC
    That's the luxury we have but I was expecting him to be in the squad at least and was told he would most likely be and even play.

Technically he is better than Reeves, Pratley, Lapslie, and Marshall. I think considering he is fully fit, he is a far better option on the bench than Lapslie and Marshall. George has done well and I like him, but his eagerness to get around the pitch could potentially cost us in big games. Experience, tactical and technical awareness comes into play far more in those games and that is why I would have Forster-Caskey in front of him. 
  • According to Instagram his wife and kids have moved out to their home in Malaga for the summer, so I doubt Igor is going to play again this season (and don't be surprised if he joins a second division team in the Malaga region in the summer)
  • sam3110 said:
    According to Instagram his wife and kids have moved out to their home in Malaga for the summer, so I doubt Igor is going to play again this season (and don't be surprised if he joins a second division team in the Malaga region in the summer)
    Igor is with them. And I agree, I think that’s him done now. Although they went to Malaga last summer so I believe that’s just their summer home, don’t read into it as him going out there to play.
  • Wait so Igor can't fly with his family to Malaga on his day off and then fly back for training ready for Tuesday?

Given the 12 week injury rumour you're likely right but would be a disappointing finale for the man that had just started to look in form again. 
  • Is Ajose not available for selection now Mansfield's season is over? Would be nice to at least have a striker on the bench
  • Is Ajose not available for selection now Mansfield's season is over? Would be nice to at least have a striker on the bench
    Nope his loan is till June

Its how we couldnt call upon Karlan Grant last season despite Crawley not getting into the Play-Offs
  • Sponsored links:

• What a about Recco? His was a nonleague loan, which I know is different. 
  • I assume one of Ocran or Aouachria will be with the squad on Friday.

I thought it a poor move not to have a striker on the bench yesterday. We are so much better with two up front, and Parker going off collapsed our shape.
  • I'd have gone with Aouacharia or Kennedy myself, but perhaps the latter has already been released?  Given we'd still hold his registration, I'm sure he wouldn't turn down the opportunity to play in front of a nearly full Valley.
  • Ajose only made the bench for Manfield's playoff's.
  • Dilemma for Bowyer is the risk of having a youngster involved at this point. Is it the occasion to play an untried youngster, probably not. But if one out there who just might be, we should probably stick him on the bench Friday as we are devoid of any attacking options of the bench. Hopefully we won't need it Friday as we didn't yesterday, but there's a big game in 13 days where we might!
  • I'd bring any and all of our young attackers into training with the first team this week and give the best performer a place on the bench
  • I'm never joking with the Sarr up front stuff. Although I'd like a glimpse of Aouachria
    He can't even get a start for Mansfield. 
    I'd be a better option than that waste of space .
  • I'd have gone with Aouacharia or Kennedy myself, but perhaps the latter has already been released?  Given we'd still hold his registration, I'm sure he wouldn't turn down the opportunity to play in front of a nearly full Valley.
    Kennedy was released.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    If Igor is injured (again) I'd seriously consider terminating his contract. 3 separate injuries in one season for a bloke who has barely been off the treatment table for his whole time with us.

I like Igor a lot, but it's absolutely pointless spending valuable wages on someone who gets 5 games in a season. 
    He's out of contract in a few weeks
  • Croydon said:
    If Igor is injured (again) I'd seriously consider terminating his contract. 3 separate injuries in one season for a bloke who has barely been off the treatment table for his whole time with us.

I like Igor a lot, but it's absolutely pointless spending valuable wages on someone who gets 5 games in a season. 
    Easy tiger, they can’t even get in touch to find out how many free tickets he fancies in the West Stand for Friday let alone to tell him he’s sacked 17-days before he leave anyway??
  • Croydon said:

That will show him.
    He's off anyway in a few weeks 
  • Croydon said:

TBF he did also spend 2 season out on loan and if you believe his wife that wasn't his choice. 
  • Sage said:
    sam3110 said:
    According to Instagram his wife and kids have moved out to their home in Malaga for the summer, so I doubt Igor is going to play again this season (and don't be surprised if he joins a second division team in the Malaga region in the summer)
    Igor is with them. And I agree, I think that’s him done now. Although they went to Malaga last summer so I believe that’s just their summer home, don’t read into it as him going out there to play.
    Since it is you writing that, I've got to let go of the hope I had that he might be on the bench Friday and so likely to be available if we got to Wembley. Gutted for us and for him. Do you know more about his injury, and how it happened? And in your opinion, is he "injury prone" and if so do you have an opinion on why? I mean, are there any patterns in players who are seen as  "injury prone"? 

Oh well. I take heart from watching Parker yesterday. He didn't let anybody down, and I hope he himself gained confidence from his contribution
  • edited May 2019
    sam3110 said:
    I'd bring any and all of our young attackers into training with the first team this week and give the best performer a place on the bench
    This. 100% need a striking option from the bench on Friday. Yesterday was a joke. Bringing on Pearce, moving Beliek into midfield & Aribo up front didnt work.....and meant 3 changes when a straight swap was what was needed. Dont think Sarr is the answer either. A natural striker......someone who plays up front & is used to that position. Probably wont be fazed by it & may make a name for himself.  We've done round pegs in square holes before......and it don't work. 

And I haven't even got onto the subject of how much up shit creek we would be if Taylor got injured after 5 mins. Doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Fantastic post @Sage, hope everyone has found it as educative and thought -provoking as I do.
  • Fantastic post @Sage, hope everyone has found it as educative and thought -provoking as I do.
    I was going to type Son of Hasselbaink and leave it at that but @Sage has certainly given me food for thought.

I've never doubted Igor's ability but he has never seemed the fittest to me even when playing well.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    sam3110 said:
    Since it is you writing that, I've got to let go of the hope I had that he might be on the bench Friday and so likely to be available if we got to Wembley. Gutted for us and for him. Do you know more about his injury, and how it happened? And in your opinion, is he "injury prone" and if so do you have an opinion on why? I mean, are there any patterns in players who are seen as  "injury prone"? 

Oh well. I take heart from watching Parker yesterday. He didn't let anybody down, and I hope he himself gained confidence from his contribution
    Unfortunately with all the bits of information we can gather, it does look as though he won’t make it even if we get to Wembley. Personally I am surprised, because unless he has torn one of his quadriceps or pulled it too badly, I would have thought a couple of weeks out and he will be back in training. I don’t see any reason why the club would let him travel to southern Spain if they thought he would make it, they’d have him on the machines and in the recovery sleeves to help what Bowyer has called, “healing time”. So on that basis, and I haven’t been told anything, it looks as though we have seen the last of Vetokele. However, and I know it seems as though I am sitting on the fence, but unless they have made the collective decision that the warm weather can aid his recovery and he comes back next week if we progress to the final. 

Bowyer said that on the Thursday before Rochdale at home they were doing a finishing session, Igor felt his quads tighten up and had to go in and not able to finish the session.

Do I believe he is injury prone? No is the answer. I don’t like the term injury prone for starters as I believe it is all about rehabilitation and ensuring you have the correct ratio in strength between dynamic and stabilisers for example. No athlete should ever get a hamstring injury for example, never, but it’s one of the most common because they do not have to correct ratio, often their quads are far too strong and hamstrings far too weak. That can also cause an injury in both sets of muscles. Hamstrings should in fact be stronger than quads, but in footballers, that mainly is not the case. I do believe he has had previous poor treatment on historical injuries which has not helped him at all. We know he was made to play through his achilles injury when he first was here, but what we don’t know is the level and quality of treatment he received when he was out on loan.

There is no argument that he has had a variety of different injuries, achilles, pubis, shoulder dislocation, and now this quad. He has had an operation on at least two of those injuries. Do I think there is more to it than just being unlucky and unfortunate? Yes, I do. But I don’t think injury prone is correct.

It seems as though Vetokele could do with a strict plan, both diet and training, but the training must be completed with someone qualified, and not to be left to train alone. Igor seems a bright and intelligent man, but athletes often do not do the correct things or they do too much of specific things and they get injured that way. If he was not to play for us again, I wish him all the best, and I hope he gets the correct plan to develop his fitness and strength before doing anything football and sport specific. He needs a whole macro, meso and microcycle plan.

Patterns with players who are injured more regularly? If I’d have to give an answer, I’d have to say yes. The pattern being these players are probably not the most naturally fit, they may not have the most athletic genes, but Cullen for example we have been told is naturally a fit player, he is lucky he has good genes. I would be keen to know if there is a correlation between players who are injured more regularly and if they ever had an injury growing up and what type of treatment did they receive. As I said, for me it is all about rehabilitation and as much as some people may think what they like about the medical team here at Charlton, it is very good, but only part of the job is done at the training ground, what if these players do not put in the work in their own time? The other factor to consider is when a player is injured, do they work on other parts of their body, or do they compensate? Do they only work on the area of which they’re injured? I do think there is a pattern hidden somewhere, and if someone can find that pattern and can identify where things need to specifically be improved, they’d make a lot of money and help a lot of athletes across a range of sports.

Hope that answered your questions enough, @PragueAddick
    Very interesting Sage, I was talking to a physiotherapist a few weeks ago and he was saying that footballers don’t get taught to run properly, and if they were, they would be faster, have better muscle balance and pick up fewer injuries. 

Do you agree the faster bit? The rest I guess is pretty much what you are saying?