Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Rochdale | Sat 04 May | 5:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• edited May 2019
    In a parallel universe, where the footballing gods smile on us, we would win 4-0 & finish 3rd.......playing Peterborough in the play offs. 

However, back on earth the MOTM award means we lose to Rochdale like we did in the final game last season & to complete the symmetry we play Sunderland home & away......losing the final game & thus ending with games at the SOL bookending the entire season. 

0-1. Same as the last 2 games at their place.  I hate being me  :wink:
  • 1-1.....unfortunately.
  • I wouldn't discount the possibility of Southend getting a draw against Sunderland; if so, it would be great to win and secure the second leg at home, especially if the tie goes to extra time (not that it helped against Swindon).

A 12:15 kick off on a Sunday isn't going to have quite the atmosphere of a Saturday night at The Valley.
  • Anyone know who will be streaming this?
  • Looking forward to this one. Relaxing early evening at the Valley with a team close to being on the beach. They are in form though so they will put up a battle but I think we will sneak it, 1-0 to Charlton.
  • Sage said:
    Firstly, I would just like to say as our regular season comes to a close, @ForeverAddickted you have done a fantastic job with the pre-match threads this season, they've been full of quality and detail on top of how you see things going as well. So well done, I have enjoyed this part of the forum each week. I look forward to reading another three more before the month is up!

Rochdale are an intriguing side for me. One who looked destined to be relegated only 2 months ago when they sacked Keith Hill. They were 22nd in the league and conceded an astonishing 74 goals in 35 games. Now 10 matches later, they have picked up 6 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses, only conceding 9 goals. It's an unbelievable turnaround and shows really they were so right to sack Hill when they did. In fact, they've done so well in terms of keeping clean sheets that they have kept 4 in their last 5 games, winning 1-0 in each of them. The other game was losing 4-1 away at Portsmouth.

Formation wise, Rochdale has chopped and changed according to who they have played. They've used a 4-4-2 diamond, a 3-4-3, and a 4-3-3 over the last couple of months. With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see them either match us up or go 4-3-3 and try to exploit us down the wings. One thing is for sure though, they do have a very decent striker for this level in Ian Henderson. Albeit on the wrong side of 30, he has scored 20 goals in the league this season, 37% of all of Rochdale's goals, including their last two winners in Rochdale's last two home games. Not to be sniffed at especially for a side who for so long has struggled until only recently. One of Rochdale's biggest weaknesses is defending crosses, they've struggled with them all season. If we can pull their defenders out of position and do get in some quality crosses into Vetokele and Taylor, we could really hurt them. Rochdale's left hand side is very poor. I have mentioned his name before, but Joe Bunney is a player we can really get at if he plays. He's tall left back but with very poor positional awareness and a huge lack of pace, I would expect Taylor to sit on him and give him a right torrid time if he does play.

Regarding us, as Bowyer has already said there will be changes from last week's win against Gillingham. It is important we get match sharpness into the legs of Bielik, Bauer and Taylor ahead of the play-offs. I do expect to see Reeves involved too, just as I expect to see Page and Forster-Caskey play as well, whether that's from the start or from the bench. It's now so important we keep things ticking over nicely as well as making sure we don't do too much or risk anyone for any reason. The squad almost picks itself and I am sure Morgan will be involved in the squad, would be surprised if he isn't. I think as well as he done last week, and I was impressed, Pratley may be the very unlucky one to miss out in being the squad, but maybe not, we shall see. Marshall and Fosu won't be anywhere near the team again so it's best to leave that settled here now.

Fully expecting a day where we can just go and play our game and enjoy it being the last of the regular season. There will be players playing tomorrow who will be trying their best to force their way into the starting eleven for those play-off games, so I don't anticipate anyone going through the motions, Bows definitely wouldn't stand for it either.

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Page
    Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor Vetokele

Maxwell, Pearce, Purrington, Forster-Caskey, Lapslie, Morgan, Parker

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Rochdale
    Taylor
    Sarr
    Vetokele
    Cheers for your comments @Sage...

Equally always enjoy your own Preview take on here, certainly find it informative in terms of the tactics etc.
    Thanks for that as well mate.

Keep up the good work and let's hope we can all enjoy the ride us supporters are going to be on for the next 23 days.
  • Them being safe and away I reckon we will win in an uneventful game where we just have a little to much quality for them. 2-0.
  • Anyone know who will be streaming this?
    Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• In a parallel universe, where the footballing gods smile on us, we would win 4-0 & finish 3rd.......playing Peterborough in the play offs. 

However, back on earth the MOTM award means we lose to Rochdale like we did in the final game last season & to complete the symmetry we play Sunderland home & away......losing the final game & thus ending with games at the SOL bookending the entire season. 

0-1. Same as the last 2 games at their place.  I hate being me  :wink:
    Are you like this outside of Charlton?
  • Lacklustre performance as players won’t want to get injured or suspended. Rochdale are in good form but not that good. 1 - 1
  • FA thanks for your threads, always enjoyable. Lets finish on a high, i'll take 2-0. Been great being part of this club for another season. Almost cry when Valley Floyd Rd rings outs around the Covered end. Lets hope that the last time we sing VFR this season is when we pick up that play-off winners trophy. Good luck to the boys, Well done Lee and Jonny COYRS!!!!          PS ROLAND OUT!!!!!
  • I won't be staying up to follow this one as it's effectively a dead rubber starting at around my bedtime. Selfishly, I'd like us to finish 5th so at least one of the play-off games will be at an acceptable time here and I won't have to stay awake until 3:30 am twice! At the same time I want what's best for the team and our play-off final hopes.
  • I’ll go for 3-0 and Charlton to finish 4th. Really hope I’m right! 
  • Very worried about my loyalty points.

• 3-0 win to keep things ticking along nicely.

Taylor, Igor and Aribo.

Phillips,
    Dijksteel, Sarr, Bauer, Purrington 
    aribo, Belik, Cullen, JFC
    taylor, Igor 

Subs: Maxwell, Pearce, Page, Morgan, Lapslie, Parker & Reeves 

• May the fourth be with us on Star Wars day.  Relatively easy win...
  • 2-0 Charlton. Hard to predict who is going to score the goals though as they could come from anywhere with the squad we’ve got at the moment, which when you consider we have Taylor in the side and who could reasonably be expected to score it’s a measure of how good Charlton really are going into the play offs.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-0 Charlton. I'm pretty sure if we win we will get 4th as I can't see out of form Sunderland going to a Southend side fighting for their lives, needing a result to stay up. Pompey losing at home to Accrington who are playing for nothing does seem very unlikely though so no doubt in my mind we will be playing Sunderland. Just a case of finding out what way round.
  • We need to better Sunderland's result to finish 4th.
    Going on Cafc past play-offs semi finals, the home match 1st or 2nd hasn't been a big factor.

We are 50% better than the Cafc team that showed up 12 months ago. 
    Sunderland, Pompey and Doncaster/Peterborough are stronger than the 4 teams in PO last season. 

Blackburn and Wigan were stronger than Luton and Barnsley though.

The obvious thing today is no red cards or injuries. (Some chance !)

Only 2 home defeats all season, the Peterborough dodgy penalty given by Lingington and the Coventry game when we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Let's finish on a 2-0 and everyone still standing and accept the home or away first as it's not in our own hands.
  • Love the stats on this one, easy 2-0 win. Matchbook are paying 1.71 for the win with a £10 free bet - https://www.betseven.net/football-betting-tips/english-league-one/charlton-vs-rochdale/

• Poxy 17.30 kick off. Just leave it as it is sky.
  • 2-1....and we finish 4th...Southend will hold Sunderland to a draw.
  • edited May 2019
    Any tips on where to park today? Bringing my 2 year old for her first game and don't know the nearest place to park or in fact any rules for attending with a small child!
  • I wonder if it's on the red button on Sky
  • out of interest, which game/games is on sky? 
  • Southend  v  Sunderland