Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PSA Blood Test results...

Comments

• The email address on six bag of nuts post will get you through.Got mine today,anyone under the misapprehension that the least serious is sent out last needs to chase their results.Mine come back red far to high so further consultations to follow.
    Best of luck going forward. "Far too high" is a phrase that I couldnt relate to because I didnt know the scale (what is too high, other than over 8?). Mine was 14 when I was diagnosed some 5 years back, yet when I compared notes with others at the radiotherapy sessions, many were in the 30s/40s readings. I even knew one guy whose reading exceeded 100. Hope this helps.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Green for me.
    If your prostate is green, you probably need to get it looked at.
  • @PeterGage,
    Peter how many times in that 7 week window did you have radiotherapy ?
    The reason I ask is I know your treatment was 5 years ago and things are moving fast in the world of Prostate cancer but I have been told I have a 3 week course of treatment coming up at Royal Marsden if I decide this Thursday to undergo the treatment. 
    After having both the transRectal ultrasound biopsies under a local then a month later having Transperineal biopsies under a general anesthestic taken, the Consultant team are recommending radiotherapy.
    I had side effects from giving the biopsies and also caught flu for the first time for 25 years, so I'm reticent but I guess the chance of getting rid of the cancer means I will have to go for it.

I will ask more questions at University hospital on Thursday but i believe it will be external beam therapy which at least isn't invasive unlike giving the biopsies.

@soapboxsam

First, I hope you come through this OK.

Second, there is a treatment that wasn't available on the NHS when I had my prostate cancer, which is proton beam therapy.  It is much more targeted than ordinary radiotherapy with far less drastic side effects.
  • My psa results  last year was 7.9 this over 2 more tests went down to 6.6,my test this easter monday is 10.3 so all over the place,anyway seeing consultant 4th july
  • My psa results  last year was 7.9 this over 2 more tests went down to 6.6,my test this easter monday is 10.3 so all over the place,anyway seeing consultant 4th july
    Good luck, hope it goes well
    Good luck, hope it goes well

PeterGage said:
    The email address on six bag of nuts post will get you through.Got mine today,anyone under the misapprehension that the least serious is sent out last needs to chase their results.Mine come back red far to high so further consultations to follow.
    Best of luck going forward. "Far too high" is a phrase that I couldnt relate to because I didnt know the scale (what is too high, other than over 8?). Mine was 14 when I was diagnosed some 5 years back, yet when I compared notes with others at the radiotherapy sessions, many were in the 30s/40s readings. I even knew one guy whose reading exceeded 100. Hope this helps.
    Remember they have to give you an MRI scan before any other invasive treatment, should such treatment be necessary. 
  • @PeterGage,
    The reason I ask is I know your treatment was 5 years ago and things are moving fast in the world of Prostate cancer but I have been told I have a 3 week course of treatment coming up at Royal Marsden if I decide this Thursday to undergo the treatment. 
    After having both the transRectal ultrasound biopsies under a local then a month later having Transperineal biopsies under a general anesthestic taken, the Consultant team are recommending radiotherapy.
    I had side effects from giving the biopsies and also caught flu for the first time for 25 years, so I'm reticent but I guess the chance of getting rid of the cancer means I will have to go for it.

I will ask more questions at University hospital on Thursday but i believe it will be external beam therapy which at least isn't invasive unlike giving the biopsies.

@soapboxsam

Second, there is a treatment that wasn't available on the NHS when I had my prostate cancer, which is proton beam therapy.  It is much more targeted than ordinary radiotherapy with far less drastic side effects.
    7 weeks, Mon - Fri. My only side effects were tiredness near the end of the treatment (which soon dispersed) and minor amount of loss of bladder control (dripping), which soon rectified itself.
  • As someone who had to have two invasive biopsy procedures in six weeks after the MRI scan showed up issues, Jimmy is correct in asking for the MRI scan first as in some areas I'm led to believe they go straight for the Transrectal ultrasound probe up the back passage first. @thickandthin63 don't get ahead of yourself as your still at the urology consultant stage where there could be an infection or an enlargement, or  even you were riding your bike before your PSA test (this may be a euphemism !)  I was only passed over to the Oncology consultants when the samples were positive and I was given information and advice on various treatments which all have various pros and cons. Good luck.
  • Never had a psa test. How accurate are they as in past had 2 conflicting views as to whether to have one. 
  • PeterGage said:
    @PeterGage,

@soapboxsam

7 weeks, Mon - Fri. My only side effects were tiredness near the end of the treatment (which soon dispersed) and minor amount of loss of bladder control (dripping), which soon rectified itself.

@Petergage, I was being optimistic when I said 3 weeks as 7 weeks mon-Fri at the end of the year after 6 months of tablets initially and then injections before external beam therapy starts at the Royal Marsden Sutton.
    Peter I know your treatment was a few years ago but I have been given an option to have "Prostate Radiotherapy integrated with simultaneous MRI (The Prism trial)

This is quite new and means longer sessions and longer time having daily MRI scans with a fullish bladder and empty bowels ! Still reading up on it but supposed to be more accurate and the way forward.
    The radiotherapy is in tandem with the MRI scans

The Proton beam therapy is different again and not generally available on the NHS at the moment. 

I was totally put off having the prostate removed before I got to page two !
  • Sponsored links:

• PeterGage said:
    @PeterGage,

@soapboxsam

@Petergage, I was being optimistic when I said 3 weeks as 7 weeks mon-Fri at the end of the year after 6 months of tablets initially and then injections before external beam therapy starts at the Royal Marsden Sutton.
    Peter I know your treatment was a few years ago but I have been given an option to have "Prostate Radiotherapy integrated with simultaneous MRI (The Prism trial)

This is quite new and means longer sessions and longer time having daily MRI scans with a fullish bladder and empty bowels ! Still reading up on it but supposed to be more accurate and the way forward.
    The radiotherapy is in tandem with the MRI scans

The Proton beam therapy is different again and not generally available on the NHS at the moment. 

I was totally put off having the prostate removed before I got to page two !
    Best of luck with whichever route you choose to take.

I only ever mention the route, experiences and consequences that I took/found. I would never claim to know enough on the subject to advise others.

Again, best of luck.
  • I had surgery last year and from the many different options, I chose Brachytherapy, inserting a number of rods into the prostate and zapping the cancerous areas. Not as bad as it sounds.

My original reading was 13 and it's now down to 1.78 at my last blood test.

Anybody wanting any further info, feel free to pm me, happy to help/advise where I can.

• Chased my result by email on Tuesday. Got the result today. 0.9 so good for somebody in their 60s.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Chased my result by email on Tuesday. Got the result today. 0.9 so good for somebody in their 60s.
    Good for anybody of any age I’d think!
  • PeterGage said:
    @PeterGage,

@soapboxsam

I'm glad to hear the side-effects for you were so slight but for some they are far worse.
  • Never had a psa test. How accurate are they as in past had 2 conflicting views as to whether to have one. 
    @HardyAddick The PSA test is very accurate at measuring the level of prostate-specific antigen.  However, if you have a high result, it doesn't tell you what's causing that result so you would then need to have further investigations, probably beginning with an MRI.

Unless you're totally phobic about needles, the test is a doddle so I'd strongly advise you to get a test done.  If you are totally phobic about needles, close your eyes and get a test done.

Re "had 2 conflicting views", I'd be interested in what the "don't have the test" arguments were.
  • Thanks. No problem with needles. Cant recall who told me to avoid the test (might have even been a medic friend). It was some years ago and things have probably moved on. Will book an appointment.  
  • PeterGage said:
    @PeterGage,

@soapboxsam

I'm glad to hear the side-effects for you were so slight but for some they are far worse.
    Agreed. But as I said earlier, I will only comment on my experiences and not speculate on others' experiences 
  • Thanks. No problem with needles. Cant recall who told me to avoid the test (might have even been a medic friend). It was some years ago and things have probably moved on. Will book an appointment.  

Don't ride a bike or have sex 2 to 3 days prior to your test, it can effect the result!

Seriously!

• Sponsored links:

• Essex_Al said:
    Thanks. No problem with needles. Cant recall who told me to avoid the test (might have even been a medic friend). It was some years ago and things have probably moved on. Will book an appointment.  

Don't ride a bike or have sex 2 to 3 days prior to your test, it can effect the result!

Seriously!

But does it make the result look better or worse?
  • Of the 273 participants, 242 have been sent a green letter which means no follow up is required, whilst 10 received amber letters meaning a follow up is required. 13 people were sent red letters meaning that an immediate follow up is required.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf8e3d92d8b7/273-people-psa-tested-at-the-valley-prior-to-scunthorpe-united-game-in-april
  • clive said:
    Of the 273 participants, 242 have been sent a green letter which means no follow up is required, whilst 10 received amber letters meaning a follow up is required. 13 people were sent red letters meaning that an immediate follow up is required.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf8e3d92d8b7/273-people-psa-tested-at-the-valley-prior-to-scunthorpe-united-game-in-april
    I have no doubt whatsoever that some lives will have been saved as a result of this project.......quite apart from raising the awareness for men to have their PSA checked on a regular ongoing basis.
    A massive pat on the back to all involved in organising this stunningly successful project.
  • 8 people unaccounted for...
  • 8 people unaccounted for...
    They all passed out at the sight of the needle.
  • Redrobo said:
    Essex_Al said:
    Thanks. No problem with needles. Cant recall who told me to avoid the test (might have even been a medic friend). It was some years ago and things have probably moved on. Will book an appointment.  

Seriously!

Worse!
  • Essex_Al said:
    Redrobo said:
    Essex_Al said:

Seriously!

Worse!
    I thought so, but that is good thing IMO as it means one is looking at the worst case scenario.
  • Redrobo said:
    Essex_Al said:
    Redrobo said:
    Essex_Al said:

Seriously!

Worse!
    I thought so, but that is good thing IMO as it means one is looking at the worst case scenario.
    It could lead to unnecessary follow-up, costing the NHS money it could put to better use. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Essex_Al said:
    Redrobo said:
    Essex_Al said:

Seriously!

Worse!
    It could lead to unnecessary follow-up, costing the NHS money it could put to better use. 
    Surely better than thinking it was all OK and dying though?
    @HardyAddick The PSA test is very accurate at measuring the level of prostate-specific antigen.  However, if you have a high result, it doesn't tell you what's causing that result so you would then need to have further investigations, probably beginning with an MRI.

Unless you're totally phobic about needles, the test is a doddle so I'd strongly advise you to get a test done.  If you are totally phobic about needles, close your eyes and get a test done.

Re "had 2 conflicting views", I'd be interested in what the "don't have the test" arguments were.
    In the days before MRI scans were offered prior to any treatment, the next step after a high reading, would normally be a biopsy. The biopsy procedure can lead to unpleasant side effects. Best to look those up online.