Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy St George's Day

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Jesus, doesnt seem that long ago.

ended up in the Duchess of Edinburgh that night after Bexley shut down
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Bout 2019 years mate...
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Bout 2019 years mate...

Was just about to put the same.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Bout 2019 years mate...

Was just about to put the same.
    I would have been quicker responding but took me four minutes from Dave posting to work out the number of years
  • Options

there's a lot of incorrect perception around all this stuff.

Basically I think we are governed by days of the week in which these things fall.

St Paddy's Day in England isn't anywhere near as big as some people make it. Its Guinness driven and if it falls on a Thursday - Sunday it will attract interest. On a Monday or Tuesday it will be a damp squib. Its not English people celebrating Ireland, its people with Irish heritage celebrating their heritage and other people jumping on as an excuse to have a beer.

St Georges Day hasn't got a brewery publicising driver and not a huge outcry from the majority of people for a need to overly celebrate it. Not because they are not proud to be English but just because there isn't the drive there to largely engage with what is a pub event. You'll always have the diehards, and if it falls Thursday - Sunday then you'll then get a step up in people wanting to get out and use it as an excuse. But its not really enough to encourage people to use up precious annual leave for.

The chip on shoulder attitude that too frequently gets included (some people find this racist, if it were St Paddy's Day blah blah) winds me up no end though. If you want to do something to celebrate being English, great. Just do it. Stop worrying about other people or comparing.

The fact we live in such a great country is probably emphasised by the fact we (collectively) don't see the need to have to make a big song and dance about it.  

Alright, keep your Guinness hat on
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I did exactly the same mate. Jumped in a cab after it all kicked off.
  • Options
    I was heading the bottles back
  • Options

there's a lot of incorrect perception around all this stuff.

Basically I think we are governed by days of the week in which these things fall.

St Paddy's Day in England isn't anywhere near as big as some people make it. Its Guinness driven and if it falls on a Thursday - Sunday it will attract interest. On a Monday or Tuesday it will be a damp squib. Its not English people celebrating Ireland, its people with Irish heritage celebrating their heritage and other people jumping on as an excuse to have a beer.

St Georges Day hasn't got a brewery publicising driver and not a huge outcry from the majority of people for a need to overly celebrate it. Not because they are not proud to be English but just because there isn't the drive there to largely engage with what is a pub event. You'll always have the diehards, and if it falls Thursday - Sunday then you'll then get a step up in people wanting to get out and use it as an excuse. But its not really enough to encourage people to use up precious annual leave for.

The chip on shoulder attitude that too frequently gets included (some people find this racist, if it were St Paddy's Day blah blah) winds me up no end though. If you want to do something to celebrate being English, great. Just do it. Stop worrying about other people or comparing.

The fact we live in such a great country is probably emphasised by the fact we (collectively) don't see the need to have to make a big song and dance about it.  

Morris dancing? Is that what you're saying?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

I did exactly the same mate. Jumped in a cab after it all kicked off.
    Actually remember you leaving. I ended up back at the Albany listening to the pub scheme radio behind the bar reporting incidents at pretty much every area in the borough.  Think that was the last year of Trax being open for SGD.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Did you pull her in the millers 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Chizz said:
    It's. Not. Until. Next. Week! 

:lol:
    Give it a rest. This came up about before about 10 years ago and no one took any notice then either. It's 23rd April, as any Boy Scout knows. 
  • Options

Does London have a Saints day? Just a thought.

Anyway all those who celebrate, have a good one.

Yes. St Paul is the patron saint of London and his day is 25th January. Not that that matters to Charlton fans, we celebrate him every day as it's his sword that is on our club crest.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Pork sword
  • Options
    ...calling Danny Boy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Solidgone said:
    Happy St George’s day. There’s seven of us of different nationalities celebrating this afternoon at an Italian restaurant in Marylebone: 
    English
    Irish
    Welsh
    Croatian 
    Australian
    Columbian. 
    Singapore 
    Have you put a dot on the invite list to denote which one is bringing the gear? 
    Ooops
  • Options
    Police have allegedly been to a property locally, the residents were asked to remove the St George flag from the balcony.
  • Options
    457 years ago today arguably the greatest writer ever was born not far from Birmingham.
  • Options
    Police have allegedly been to a property locally, the residents were asked to remove the St George flag from the balcony.
    Where?  And why?  
  • Options
    Happy Saint Georges day my equally football malnourished brethren 
  • Options
    rumour has it that George downed several pints of English Ale before taking on the dragon
  • Options
    Happy St George’s Day! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Chizz said:
    Solidgone said:
    Happy St George’s day. There’s seven of us of different nationalities celebrating this afternoon at an Italian restaurant in Marylebone: 
    English
    Irish
    Welsh
    Croatian 
    Australian
    Columbian. 
    Singapore 
    Have you put a dot on the invite list to denote which one is bringing the gear? 
    No, he’s the one who lost the draw and are on a table for 1
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Where?  And why?  

A very good question, Beckenham area.