Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club appeal Solly red (unsuccessfully)

Comments

• Options
    If Solly had made contact his leg would have gone towards where Solly's foot was pointed and he'd fall backwards. As it was he fell head first towards the touchline. Chris may have brushed him on follow-through but got there first. Also a potential handball penalty from Solly's shot.
    Too ridiculous for words. Their player was charging forwards and you expect a challenge to make him fall backwards ?

If that was true how come in the Luton game Vetokele also fell forwards when fouled by their goalie ?
    You will most likely fall in the direction of your momentum.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    If Solly had made contact his leg would have gone towards where Solly's foot was pointed and he'd fall backwards. As it was he fell head first towards the touchline. Chris may have brushed him on follow-through but got there first. Also a potential handball penalty from Solly's shot.
    Too ridiculous for words. Their player was charging forwards and you expect a challenge to make him fall backwards ?

If that was true how come in the Luton game Vetokele also fell forwards when fouled by their goalie ?
    The mechanics is that you fall in the opposite direction from where contact (force) is made as Igor did. The Oxford guy fell at right angles to supposed contact therefore there was no (force) contact. QED.
  • Options
    Ummmmmm...... 

has everyone read the posts that point out that by appealing we get Solly available for Monday and that this is probably why we have appealed it?

its weird because most posts since those comments were made have ignored the point 
    Do you honestly think we’d risk our first choice right back being effectively ruled out of the play offs so he can play in a dead rubber game v Scunthorpe???
  • Options
    Take another look or as many as you need to realise what nonsense you are talking.
    Vetokele tumbled forward in the direction he was running, pretty much the same as the Oxford player.
    Vetokele did not fall in the opposite direction from where the contact was made, otherwise he would have fallen towards the East Stand.
    I literally cannot believe your eyes and brain don't appear to work in coordination.

https://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-luton/393591
  • Options
    edited April 2019

The keeper ran away from the goal, hit Vetokele low down, who fell forwards towards the goal. If he caught Igor above his centre of gravity he would tumble backwards. Ditto the Oxford guy who was heading at right angle to the force. He fell In the direction he was heading not where Solly went. You don't have to be Newton to understand the physics.

Do you devote your time to seeking my posts to disagree with them? Cue contribution from Henry.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

The keeper ran away from the goal, hit Vetokele low down, who fell forwards towards the goal. If he caught Igor above his centre of gravity he would tumble backwards. Ditto the Oxford guy. You don't have to be Newton to understand the physics.

Do you devote your time to seeking my posts to disagreeing with them? Cue contribution from Henry.
    So you now agree with me that Vetokele fell forwards and not towards the East Stand, "The mechanics is that you fall in the opposite direction from where contact (force) is made as Igor did".

You're probably/possibly right that if the fouled players were caught above their centre of gravity they may well fall backwards. The gaping great hole in your argument is that both players were fouled on their leg/foot and not above their centre of gravity.

I don't seek out your posts. It just that I can't help disagreeing with people talking complete nonsense and therefore I seem to comment on many of your posts :-)
  • Options
    A couple of posters on this thread better get their eyes tested.
    How anyone can claim that Solly won the ball and didn't touch their player is utterly incredulous.
    Solly lost his temper, flew in with excessive force and smashed their player.
    He could have broke his leg challenging like that.
    How do you know he lost his temper.....he is well known for his calm and considered character......I totally refute your assertion that he lost his temper.
    It’s possible he decided things needed cranking up a bit, with a bit more spice and aggression added......but to suggest he lost his temper is pushing things.
    I have seen him play many a game over the years and can’t ever remember seeing him actually out and out lose his temper to the point he was out of control .....either on or off the pitch.
    Think you need to reconsider your comment mate. That ain’t the Chris Solly I know.
  • Options
    Looks borderline yellow/red to me, although probably leaning towards yellow. 

Can see why it was given though, will never be overturned.
  • Options
    FFS. Read my posts. Have you got the game with the wooden square pegs. Get it and experiment. I take it you didn,t get physics O level. The object has to travel in the direction of the force, forwards or backwards. I keep posting on this thread because I can't help disagreeing with people talking complete nonsense. Can Prague or someone with some nouse help me out here?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    How anyone can claim that Solly won the ball and didn't touch their player is utterly incredulous.
    How do you know he lost his temper.....he is well known for his calm and considered character......I totally refute your assertion that he lost his temper.
    It’s possible he decided things needed cranking up a bit, with a bit more spice and aggression added......but to suggest he lost his temper is pushing things.
    I have seen him play many a game over the years and can’t ever remember seeing him actually out and out lose his temper to the point he was out of control .....either on or off the pitch.
    Think you need to reconsider your comment mate. That ain’t the Chris Solly I know.
    When I say lost his temper I mean you could see he was frustrated that his shot was blocked and the ball had got away from him.
    I could see because I was standing opposite him and could see the expression on his face.
    He lunged in to try and recover the ball.
    Yes of course it was out of character.

The Oxford player got there first and kicked the ball and Solly kicked their player with his studs/bottom of his boot.
    Yes, Solly lunged for the ball, but he didn't get it.

He did similar earlier in the season when he was red carded (I think it was 2 yellows).
    He got the ball then, but still received a 2nd yellow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I say lost his temper I mean you could see he was frustrated that his shot was blocked and the ball had got away from him, so he lunged in to try and recover the ball.

The Oxford player got their first and kicked the ball and Solly kicked their player with his studs/bottom of his boot.
    Yes, Solly lunged for the ball, but he didn't get it.

He did similar earlier in the season when he was red carded (I think it was 2 yellows).
    Errrrr righto.
  • Options
    Here you go.
    It was Barnsley away 96th minute. Lunged in and got a 2nd yellow.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/barnsley-vs-charlton/393385
  • Options
    Very unfortunate to get sent off.....I was at the Barnsley game and sat almost opposite.....joke decision, he made a genuine wholehearted attempt to get the ball....it was a foul but was neither deliberate or reckless.
  • Options
    Very unfortunate to get sent off.....I was at the Barnsley game and sat almost opposite.....joke decision, he made a genuine wholehearted attempt to get the ball....it was a foul but was neither deliberate or reckless.
    Yes but in 2019 you are no longer allowed to lunge in studs up, whether you win the ball or not.
    It was definitely reckless, he was off the ground and out of control.
    I agree that in the past that would have been considered a great tackle, but not now.
  • Options
    So we lose 2-1 when Solly is sent off.
  • Options
    FFS. Read my posts. Have you got the game with the wooden square pegs. Get it and experiment. I take it you didn,t get physics O level. The object has to travel in the direction of the force, forwards or backwards. I keep posting on this thread because I can't help disagreeing with people talking complete nonsense. Can Prague or someone with some nouse help me out here?
    Generally, I think it may well largely depend on whether a player is fouled below or above their centre of gravity.

If a player is running at pace and he is tripped low down, like Vetokele and like the Solly foul on the Oxford player, then their momentum carried them forwards (not what you were asserting).

But I agree if a player was running forwards and was smashed front on in the chest or face, then they would not tumble forwards, but would fall straight down or perhaps backwards.
  • Options
    Physics BOOM

Hit someone low their top half falls the opposite way to their lower half. The lower moves in the same direction the force moved in, the upper moves towards the direction the force came from.

Hit em high the same happens. With the upper moving in the direction they were struck and the lower back in the direction the force came from.

• Options

Physics BOOM

Hit someone low their top half falls the opposite way to their lower half. The lower moves in the same direction the force moved in, the upper moves towards the direction the force came from.

Hit em high the same happens. With the upper moving in the direction they were struck and the lower back in the direction the force came from.

It also depends on whether the players are running or not moving.
    If you are running forwards and trip, you will fall forwards (Vetokele & Oxford player).
    If you were punched on the nose you would fall backwards.
  • Options

The keeper ran away from the goal, hit Vetokele low down, who fell forwards towards the goal. If he caught Igor above his centre of gravity he would tumble backwards. Ditto the Oxford guy who was heading at right angle to the force. He fell In the direction he was heading not where Solly went. You don't have to be Newton to understand the physics.

Do you devote your time to seeking my posts to disagree with them? Cue contribution from Henry.
    Screw Physics its one of the most obvious fouls I have ever seen. 

Perhaps a harsh red but surely we are not genuinely discussing if it was a foul or not? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Covered End, please explain the physics of the object coming at right angles to the force.
  • Options
    Basically they may as well outlaw tackling.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Covered End, please explain the physics of the object coming at right angles to the force.
    I wouldn't profess to be an expert on the laws of physics, but I am pretty decent on common sense and my eyesight is ok.

The Oxford player was running forwards and was closer to the ball than Solly.

Solly knew his only chance of winning the ball would be to lunge in at right angles.

The Oxford player still got to the ball first and kicked the ball.

Solly kicked their player from the side (at right angles).

The Oxford player still fell forwards in the same direction as he was running, because he had forward momentum.

The Oxford player would not have fallen so far forwards if he had been standing still.

He would have fallen similar to the Uruguay player in Dazzlers GIF. 

It's simply a case of looking at what happened on a large enough screen.

NB the referee was right there, so I'm confident he had a perfect view as to whether Solly fouled their player, or whether as you assert, Solly won the ball and their player tripped over Solly.

Even if that was true and I'm certain it isn't.
    Solly could still have been carded for recklessness, just as he was at Barnsley, when he won the ball, but was yellow carded and sent off.
  • Options
    View again and make your mind up.  Looks reckless to me.  And those misses by Pearce and Bauer near the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82L6Z2turtw

• Options
    It’s similar to reviewing an LBW. The card will only be overturned if there us a clear mistake.  Any uncertainty and it will be “ref’s call”.  From the away end it looked 50/50.  On the highlights I think foul so unlikely to overturn.  Unless we’ve got some magic camera angle that shows no contact like we did with Lyle’s appeal.... oh hang on..
  • Options
    Force vs object. Force 1st, direction is with force. Object 1st direction is with object. Object fell at right angles to Solly (force) and where the ball went. Therefore force was there 1st. Slomo frame by frame may prove me wrong but physics is on my side.

End of my contribution.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    We have argued this point long enough now. We all have a difference of opinion and a different interpritation of the law on it. It looks worse in real time than in slow mo. I still feel he takes the ball. Yes it was a bit rough. Maybe I am living in a day from when I first got into the game where the punishment was less severe. Back in the 'Chopper' Harris and 'Bite Your Legs' Hunter days it's not even a foul. Sometimes these days the ref lets it go.

Tbh I can see why the ref mmight see it as a red in real time with a split second decision. Especially when he has sent one of their players off.

But do I think Sols was unlucky? Yes!
    Do I think it will get recinded? No!
    Do I think it will be deemed friverlous? Personally I doubt it!

We probably should have left it considering where we are in the season and been a bit more pragmatic.

That is just my opinion.

But we have argued this to death and it won't make any difference to what the appeals panel decides for real. Now let's leave it and move on.
  • Options
    Neither manager thought it was a red
    Doesn’t matter- more chance of knitting fog!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Apologies for reposting when I said I was done.  Didn't intimate the player was standing still. Typical of a person losing an argument to quote stuff that was never said. The Oxford guy heading towards touchline would have fallen in a different direction if he was caught illegally with the force of contact. If the "foul" you are describing happened he would have had treatment minimum, stretcher if he was caught. Physio not called, therefore no injury,