Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Greatest Rock Movie Ever Made?

Been replacing my old videos with DVDs and just got The Last Waltz, Scorsese's film of The Band's last ever concert.

Strapline on the box is "The Greatest Rock Movie Ever Made" - Rolling Stone.

What are you top three music films?

Mine

1. The Harder they Come
2. The Last Waltz
3. Woodstock

Comments

• My preference would be:

The Rock - starring Nicholas Cage & Sean Connery
  • My first thoughts but will probably change my mind later once I recall some other films:

1. Rude Boy, The Clash - includes the gig at Victoria Park which I went to, wonderful part where Jimmy Pursey joins them on stage

2. Buddy Holly Story - Gary Busey is terrific

3. Sid and Nancy - great music and superb performance by Gary Oldman

Haven't seen the new Strummer film yet 'The future is unwritten', but from what I have heard it is brilliant.
  • The Ruttles, More Bad News
  • Brighton Rock is may fav. Love the ending - different from the book.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Been replacing my old videos with DVDs ...

Henry, what are you using to replace the videos - I have quite a large number I'd also like to convert.
  • Did that film about Brian Jones ever get released?
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Did that film about Brian Jones ever get released?

It did, but I cannot recall the title
  • Walking Tall and Welcome to the Jungle are two particular masterpieces. Not forgetting the Scorpion King.

Welcome to the Jungle being my personal favourite
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

Henry, what are you using to replace the videos - I have quite a large number I'd also like to convert.

I expect he is using money like I did!
  • the future is unwritten is fantastic.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like Wayne's World
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

Most helpful!

The Brian Jones film was called 'Stoned'
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]

Beat me to it, Davey. Amazon mainly
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]

Beat me to it, Davey. Amazon mainly

Being naive, I had assumed there was some clever piece of software to do this- I guess not.
  • You can copy some videos on to DVDs by connecting your video player to your DVD recorder. I know my brother copied some older CAFC vids this way but newer videos don't allow you to do it.

Also most of my films were taped off the TV so not great quality.
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
  • eiger sanction with clint eastwood...
  • Wayne's World and Spinal Tap
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Also most of my films were taped off the TV so not great quality.

imo those were the days, all this dvd malarky, all a load of crubbish if you ask me! My old vid collection was mainly made up of stuff i taped off the stevie! Now i dont even own a vcr or whatever they are called.

My fave rock film is waynes world.
  • 1. The Wall (Floyd) - a rock movie of sorts. Just blew me away at an impressionable age, even though I didn't have the faintest idea what was going on at times (not unlike watching a certain team career towards the CCC last season).
    2. Spinal Tap - hilarious pastiche of the real thing (again not unlike... - especially M Bent, though he wasn't very funny).
    3. (Slade in) Flame. Can't remember too much about it, except getting very upset when some gangster pulled Noddy's hair.

There's a new Don Letts movie on the wonderful Stiff Little Fingers due out soon - better get my sleeping bag ready to queue for tickets for that one!
    Probably nothing new, but many DVD recorders will actually improve the quality of TV-recorded items when transferred over to the highest grade recording level.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a new Don Letts movie on the wonderful Stiff Little Fingers due out soon - better get my sleeping bag ready to queue for tickets for that one!

That should be good - Stuart Pearce will probably be in it, they are his favourite band!
  • Psycho in my sleeping bag?! Now he's a good passionate pro Stonemuse, but steady on. Oh I see... he is indeed a self-confessed fan. Bet the rest of the Forest squad were thrilled when he insisted on Alternative Ulster befre kick-off.
  • that'll be the day with david essex and ringo star...great rock and roll soundtrack...though the gretaest music soundtrack has to go to dirty dancing...i was walking through petticoat lane a few years ago and this soundtrack was blaring out from one of the stalls and everybody was stopping to buy it...its one of those background music dvd's that has people saying this is great, what is it and when they hear its dirty dancing they're totally surprised even though they've probably seen the movie umpteen times...another movie is shampoo with warren beatty and goldie hawn when they have the post presidential election party and sgt pepper is blaring out in the background...
  • "Did that film about Brian Jones ever get released?"

The Life of Brian ???
  • edited June 2007
    The Song Remains The Same, Led Zep. Awesome drumming from John Bonham
    Gimme Shelter, Rolling Stones
    Tommy: not the best versions of certain of the songs but an enjoyable film.

Went to school with Don Letts (avtually he was in the year above mw and was a bit of a sod, but bing one of only two black kids in the whole school his attitude came good for him.

Also used to stack shelves in Brixton Woolworths with Ray Gange who starred in Rude Boy. No idea what happened to him. I'll Google him later.
  • Is Gimme Shelter the Altmont film, Bangkok. Saw that years ago.

Gimme Shelter is such a great track and with Sympathy for the Devil why I think the Stones are better than the Beatles. The Stones got that funky soul sound
  • Cheers Bangkok; fascinating. Smiths once stocked a vg book on rock connections with Lewisham borough (I vaguely recall something about Sinead O'Connor in Hither Green amid the trivia), but I think its long since disappeared.
  • Almost Famous, starring Kate Hudson & the imaginary rock band Stillwater, is brilliant. The story of a 70s rock band touring the USA. It is really funny but also very accurately reflects what it must have been like.
  • edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]Almost Famous, starring Kate Hudson & the imaginary rock band Stillwater, is brilliant. The story of a 70s rock band touring the USA. It is really funny but also very accurately reflects what it must have been like.

I forget that one. Great film. Good sound track too. Singing Tiny Dancer on the tour bus.
  • and i've got to say that i was definitely impressed with that ray charles biography a couple of years ago...