Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Also - Ally McCoist was joint top scorer that year!
  • Options
    Sure I read the other day that Man City’s win makes England the 2nd country to have two clubs that have done it, the other was Netherlands if I remember correctly.

so I’d guess PSV.?
    Yes!!  Great guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987–88_European_Cup
    Makes sense actually as quite a few of their players were also part of the Holland side who won the Euro's that summer. 

Looking on wiki, Ronald Koeman scored 26 goals that season and he played at centre back!!
  • Options
    Everton would have won it. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I agree that team in the mid 80’s were fantastic. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I agree that team in the mid 80’s were fantastic. 
    And Lineker would have stayed.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    yeah, look at all the doubles they did in that period, only to be thwarted by no European football to complete their treble
  • Options
    Saw one today - there's been 10 domestic cup, domestic league, European Cup/Champions League trebles by European clubs, by 8 different teams.

Can you name them?  One surprised me, I wouldn't have guessed it (so doesn't sound true, but is!).
    The obvious are Man City, Man U, Barcelona, Inter, Bayern, Ajax and Celtic.

Can't remember who the other was but i think i read it was in the 80s.
    All spot on.

Bonus fact on the last team - they only won 3 matches in the European Cup the year they won it (out of 9 games), and didn't win a game inside normal or extra time after the second round.
    Porto?
  • Options
    Saw one today - there's been 10 domestic cup, domestic league, European Cup/Champions League trebles by European clubs, by 8 different teams.

Can you name them?  One surprised me, I wouldn't have guessed it (so doesn't sound true, but is!).
    The obvious are Man City, Man U, Barcelona, Inter, Bayern, Ajax and Celtic.

Can't remember who the other was but i think i read it was in the 80s.
    All spot on.

Bonus fact on the last team - they only won 3 matches in the European Cup the year they won it (out of 9 games), and didn't win a game inside normal or extra time after the second round.
    Porto?
    Just seen this - it was PSV, 1988, was guessed on the previous page!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For the first time in 30-years...

Man Utd dont have a single player in their team thats won the Premier League
  • Options

• Options
    A true legend.
  • Options
    Technically, they released Baba Rahman a few days after Azpilicueta left, so he was their longest serving player despite last playing for them in 2016.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

He's only 22 as well!!

He's also suffered three relegations in a row.
  • Options
    Technically, they released Baba Rahman a few days after Azpilicueta left, so he was their longest serving player despite last playing for them in 2016.
    Yes but on 12th July and today, it’s Ampadu
  • Options
    It was more the "following the release of Azpilicueta" bit that was slightly wrong.

Let's be honest, it was just an excuse for me to bring up Baba Rahman and the fact he was still a Chelsea player 7 years after playing for them!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

He's gone to Leeds!!
  • Options
    Half football, half cricket fact this one, but Gary Neville once scored a century alongside Matthew Hayden (who did the same).

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This will be the first season since 1958-59 when Liverpool do not pick anyone who either had played for them with or under Kenny Dalglish or would go on to play for them under Dalglish.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This will be the first season since 1958-59 when Liverpool do not pick anyone who either had played for them with or under Kenny Dalglish or would go on to play for them under Dalglish.
    Great stat this one. Must have been Ian Callaghan for the early 1958-59 I presume. 
  • Options
    It was more the "following the release of Azpilicueta" bit that was slightly wrong.

Let's be honest, it was just an excuse for me to bring up Baba Rahman and the fact he was still a Chelsea player 7 years after playing for them!
    The insane thing is they gave him a new contract at one point despite no team on this planet of Earth being willing to ever pay a fee for him again
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Great stat this one. Must have been Ian Callaghan for the early 1958-59 I presume. 
    I think so.

Now De Gea has left United it's the first time they won't have one that played under fergie since the early 70s as well.  I think it will only be the 3rd season since the 30s that they won't have someone that played for SAF or Matt Busby.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think so.

Now De Gea has left United it's the first time they won't have one that played under fergie since the early 70s as well.  I think it will only be the 3rd season since the 30s that they won't have someone that played for SAF or Matt Busby.
    Unless they sign Evans permanently (maybe to mainly play with the u21s like Huddlestone?).
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think so.

Unless they sign Evans permanently (maybe to mainly play with the u21s like Huddlestone?).
    Would it count if he wasn't registered in the squad?  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think so.

Would it count if he wasn't registered in the squad?  
    Good question!
  • Options
    In January, Chelsea spent more than top-flight clubs in France, Germany, Italy and Spain combined.