Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Perfect one for Infantino's: "Europe should be apologising for the last 3000-years"

Kamil Glik had a German Grandfather who was part of the Wehrmacht when they invaded Poland during WW2 - Kamil himself is now set to be part of the Poland team, as their vice Captain at this World Cup.
  • Options
    Timothy Weah by scoring against Wales, became the first Son of a National Leader to score at a World Cup
  • Options
    None of the 6 reigning champions of football's continental confederations won during the first round of matches in this World Cup, and only one managed a draw.
  • Options
    Pretty difficult for Italy as they're not at the World Cup.
  • Options
    Group F of the World Cup, is the only Group, never to produce a winner of the World Cup... Morocco - Belgium - Canada - Croatia are the four Nations this time round 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    ForeverAddickted said:
    Group F of the World Cup, is the only Group, never to produce a winner of the World Cup... Morocco - Belgium - Canada - Croatia are the four Nations this time round 
  • Options
    Timothy Weah by scoring against Wales, became the first Son of a National Leader to score at a World Cup
    That sounds perfectly believable.  If you'd said he was, say, the tenth such person, that wouldn't have sounded true.
  • Options
    This one is probably quite well known, but Brazil have only won the World Cup once, when they've not defeated England on route... Although that one year was when England last failed to qualify.
  • Options
    John "budgie" Burridge played for 29 clubs. On Sunday he played in a charity match at Easter Road for Hibernian - aged 70

May be an image of 1 person and standing
    "Get off that worm".
    Anyone else remember that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope we are able to ignore who he was playing for at the time and just appreciate his elasticity and longevity

https://youtu.be/BRulE9858eE
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    The last clean sheet the United States got in the World Cup against European opposition

Was their 1950 win over England
  • Options
    The bloke that presents match of the day has scored 10% of England's goals in world cups.  (10 out of 100).
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    England have scored 21 goals in 2 world cup tournaments (so far) aka 10 games - in our previous 5 tournaments (21games) we scored 24. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Kieran Trippier has played in every England game managed by Southgate.

Edit: this may in fact NOT be true. Sorry
  • Options
    England have scored 21 goals in 2 world cup tournaments (so far) aka 10 games - in our previous 5 tournaments (21games) we scored 24. 
    And that's with Southgate being negative, supposedly.  I'm not saying he isn't but it's a very respectable return.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    thenewbie said:
    That can’t be right - he has 40 caps and Southgate has managed 79 games. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Maybe it's every world cup game then? Or maybe I am just plain wrong. Would not be the first time honestly.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Maybe it's every world cup game then? Or maybe I am just plain wrong. Would not be the first time honestly.
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    He has certainly played in every world cup game.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    He was an unused sub in the group game against Belgium in 2018. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    He was an unused sub in the group game against Belgium in 2018. 
    Well that's a load of bollocks then.

He has certainly played in every world cup game that mattered :wink:
  • Options
    MacAllister and Brown have both scored for Argentina in the world cup.
  • Options
    More than half of the Devon-born footballers who have appeared at a World Cup finals tournament have been there playing for Wales.

Honestly assumed someone was winding me up, and googled it. Seems it's true.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MacAllister and Brown have both scored for Argentina in the world cup.
    As did Babington, ironically against Poland in 1974
  • Options
    Croatia haven't won a knockout match at a World Cup in nornal time for 24 years.
  • Options
    Maybe one in a few years time... Spain played four games in the 2022 World Cup

They only won a single game... and that was 7-0
  • Options
    Goncalo Ramos now has more World Cup knock-out goals than Cristiano Ronaldo.
  • Options
    England have not beaten a previous World Cup Winner in a knockout game since 1966!
  • Options
    France came 2nd in Euro 2016 on home soil, and then won the World Cup two years later... They also got knocked out of the World Cup @ the Quarter Finals by the eventual Champions in 1938 and 2014
  • Options
    None of the 2006, 2010 or 2014 winners of the World Cup have won a knockout game since their win.

France ruined it for everyone really by beating Poland.