Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bradford - Post Match Views

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:

From the BBC website;

"Taylor almost added a second after 32 minutes when his curled effort from outside the area hit the post and rebounded out for a goal kick."

Did that happen? I genuinely can't remember it!

He had an effort from outside the box but cant tell if it hit the post or whether it just went wide - their 'keeper was rooted to the spot and wouldnt have stopped it had it curled in
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    The reason the Taylor and Grant partnership worked so well was when Lyle went to the right or Left wing, Grant would be central, and when Grant went down the wing Taylor would take up the central position.
    Both Taylor and Grant could play on the wing which stretched defenders.

On Saturday, Taylor spent more time on the wing with Igor central for the whole time.
    Fortunately Lyle still took up 3 great positions in the box to score, miss and the one for the cameras in the 2nd half.

Igor did put in a shift TBF, even winning a couple of headers, and his fitness is not an excuse now.  If he doesn't start scoring soon after being given the number 9 role our chances of getting through 3 play off games looks bleak.
    Fosu totally baffles me because how can the man who was so brilliant and unplayable against the Gills for 80 minutes seem so ineffective most of the time,
    plus that day he did his best work central including the cracking goal. 

• Options
    Simonsen said:

From the BBC website;

"Taylor almost added a second after 32 minutes when his curled effort from outside the area hit the post and rebounded out for a goal kick."

He had an effort from outside the box but cant tell if it hit the post or whether it just went wide - their 'keeper was rooted to the spot and wouldnt have stopped it had it curled in

Ah yes...I remember that....good effort. Thought that went just wide.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I'm not totally against that. We need someone with pace. Marshall has been tried as well. Maybe he deserves another go. We just needed to sign one *MORE* half-decent striker ffs
    Edited for you
  • Options
    edited April 2019

The system didn't help Igor too much. He was left on his own against two centre-backs while Taylor was used more as a left winger, who had to cover Purrington. To be fair, it worked because Taylor scored and 2nd half he helped bottle up their right side as we were conscious that Caddis loves to get forward from right-back.

Igor made quite a few runs but we typically play across the face of the opponent's defence, rather than hitting an early ball forward. We switch play (albeit via Cullen) to try to open them up. But Bradford left so many back for 85 mins, it was really hard to find any space. Bradford did try to break from that but ultimately, they left themselves far too much ground to recover because they were so deep.

I thought Fosu was ok on Saturday. He tried to keep it simple on most occasions, where in the past he's over-done it. He did one nice turn and almost found Igor with an angled ball in behind the defence.

• Options
    People complain about Fosu and Vetokele no matter how they play. 

Vetokele doesn't work hard and plays crap. We all agree he played crap

Vetokele works hard, gets in good positions but doesn't score... Apparently a crap performance. 

Fosu does too much and loses the ball - He's crap

Fosu plays it simple and doesn't lose the ball - He's crap

I'm so bored of how fickle fans can be.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

From the BBC website;

Ah yes...I remember that....good effort. Thought that went just wide.
    No, it clearly hit the post, left-hand as we looked from the Covered End.  Taylor was the only player with continuous drive and verve; the rest were dozing.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

The system didn't help Igor too much. He was left on his own against two centre-backs while Taylor was used more as a left winger, who had to cover Purrington. To be fair, it worked because Taylor scored and 2nd half he helped bottle up their right side as we were conscious that Caddis loves to get forward from right-back.

Igor made quite a few runs but we typically play across the face of the opponent's defence, rather than hitting an early ball forward. We switch play (albeit via Cullen) to try to open them up. But Bradford left so many back for 85 mins, it was really hard to find any space. Bradford did try to break from that but ultimately, they left themselves far too much ground to recover because they were so deep.

I thought Fosu was ok on Saturday. He tried to keep it simple on most occasions, where in the past he's over-done it. He did one nice turn and almost found Igor with an angled ball in behind the defence.

Surely that should be the role of one of the midfielders though, not your CF and biggest goal threat? Tell one of Aribo, Williams or Reeves to track Caddis back, or bring on Pratley or Lapslie to do the marking.
  • Options
    Does Taylor have a free role? towards the end of the game he's bumbling around at left back taking throws then ambling forward on the counter.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Surely that should be the role of one of the midfielders though, not your CF and biggest goal threat? Tell one of Aribo, Williams or Reeves to track Caddis back, or bring on Pratley or Lapslie to do the marking.

Probably because Bradford played 5 in midfield plus Caddis getting forward, so Charlton either had to play with just one striker themselves or put one of them out wide. Plus I think Bowyer quite likes Taylor finding space on the wing. It certainly didn't seem to do him any harm because he looked lively and had five efforts on goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know what Fosu can do and if we can get him playing well, it would give us a big advantage in the play offs. Bowyer has a few games to try to help this happening seeing as another win and teh play offs are pretty secure.
  • Options
    I wonder whether it’s the international break that loses momentum/flow to our football. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

Probably because Bradford played 5 in midfield plus Caddis getting forward, so Charlton either had to play with just one striker themselves or put one of them out wide. Plus I think Bowyer quite likes Taylor finding space on the wing. It certainly didn't seem to do him any harm because he looked lively and had five efforts on goal.
    Those shots on goal were earlier in the match though, in the last 20 he seemed to be mainly in a defensive role

Someone like Marshall would have been perfect to give cover on that side, while still getting forward
  • Options
    I know what Fosu can do and if we can get him playing well, it would give us a big advantage in the play offs. Bowyer has a few games to try to help this happening seeing as another win and teh play offs are pretty secure.
    I’d give him the last 7 games up front . He can move over to the wings from that position too 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I’d give him the last 7 games up front . He can move over to the wings from that position too 
    Agreed - we won’t go up with vetekole up front he’s just not dangerous - if  fosu and Taylor could work out a partnership however we might just become a threat up top again - I’ve noticed Taylor gets the hump when fosu doesn’t pass but they need to sort out any issues for the good of the team
  • Options
    Genuinely believe Igor will be pushing on for us as the season closes, dropping him now will crush his slowly building confidence. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but I don't think we have a better option. Hope you are right.