Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bradford - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Has Igor “kicked on”?
    He's lost a yard of pace and looks no threat at all.
    He missed an easy headed chance when unmarked.
    At the moment he is showing nothing to suggest he'll ever be decent again.
    Perhaps, he'll pick up as he's only played half a dozen games.
    Pretty dreadful but we have nothing else.
  • Options
    They had a chance in the first half that was either blocked by someone or saved by Phillips and I don't know which? It was hard to tell from the north upper and they didn't show that chance for them on Quest. Can someone please tell me whether it was saved or blocked and who by? Was a great save from Phillips or a goal saving block from whoever it was.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Did he come straight  from Hogwarts today?
    Someone’s nicked his wand too.....I suspect @Leuth
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    They had a chance in the first half that was either blocked by someone or saved by Phillips and I don't know which? It was hard to tell from the north upper and they didn't show that chance for them on Quest. Can someone please tell me whether it was saved or blocked and who by? Was a great save from Phillips or a goal saving block from whoever it was.
    Looked like it was blocked by Bauer.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Heavens above - that was dull and dreary.  There is a simple existential fact about the point of football - it is about aggression, excitement, bravery and guts.  Yet, from start to finish we passed sideways across our defence and midfield. Cullen to Reeves, Reeves to Aribo, Aribo to Williams, Williams to Cullen.  And sideways again.
    Where is the spark, the vital fire?  We in the Covered End demand that our players advance - skin the opponent, double-shuffle if you like - and send the killer pass to a striker who will score.
    Oh dear!  Poor Igor Vetokele.  Those misses - yet again!  Lyle Taylor is the only attacking figure in our team with a cutting edge - sharp and ruthless.  We do miss Karlan Grant - the sprint and speed to leave defenders for dead.
    Bradford were strangely unambitious, staring at relegation - yet they hit the post late in the game.  Dangerous.  Why did we not stamp our authority on this game right from the start?  Sideways, backwards, keep possession.  My neighbour said it was like a training game played at the end of a season by men already dead.
    We must do better than this.  Last season, in the play-offs, we were beaten at home and away by Shrewsbury, a quaint little provincial town with an old sod paddling away on the Severn for lost balls in a coracle.
    Good players fight.  Bowyer knows this, empirically.  We should go for the jugular, straight from the kick-off.               

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Has Igor “kicked on”?
    Bow said it is the best he has seen Igor play since his return...... I have a feeling he will come good, just when it matters. We may not even need to go to penalties to get promoted.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Attended my first game of the season today.....and have to say that I'm glad we got the 3 points, but I thought it was a very poor game. After we scored (and Taylor took his goal well) I thought we would push on, but with the exception of the aforementioned Taylor who could have had a hat-trick, we looked 'jaded'. Lots of sideways passing, crosses that didn't beat the first man, some sloppy periods of play. When Half-time came I was expecting Lee to change it up a bit, but if anything the 2nd half was worse and we were lucky when they hit the post. Overall lets face it, like other teams have been doing, we won ugly. 
    However I had a good day, but it was spoiled by some bloke sitting in front of me, in the East Stand, who did nothing but moan and huff and puff from the off. He was banging on about wrong passes, how to run their defence etc etc, I agree it wasn't a good game, but really...moaning for all 93 minutes...fuck me!!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I can’t remember a game where we played so badly yet won so comfortably. Just goes to show how bad Bradford were.
    too many players strolling around like it was a friendly. Dijksteel was awful . Williams no better . I forgot Reeves was playing until he came off and Aribo was far too casual. Igor isn’t the same player of two years ago but I think we all knew that.
    Taylor should have has a Hatrick . All that and we won ! 
    Cullen ran the midfield as he has done nearly every time he’s played . 
    Awful game but hey ho . Three points in the bag .

Play like that against Luton and we’ll get mullered.
    What did dijksteel do that made him awful? In the second half he was pushing up and beat the full back time and again and won a few corners although the final ball could be better. He kept the ball and used it well. He made one mistake in the second half but recovered to win back possession. It was his best performance in a charlton shirt and If that was solly pushing on like that, there would be lots of praise and man love.......unless I missed something?
    In the first half he had so many opportunities to put the ball into the box but could get it past the first man . Second half he was marginally better but he still struggled . Give me Solly over him all day long . As for it being his best game in a Charlton shirt - I have no idea what game you was watching. Just have a look at the players ratings.
    Dijksteel is playing a lot better than Solly . He’s more solid defensively , much quicker and gets into much better attacking positions.  Sure, he gave the ball away a couple of times today and his delivery was poor .  I don’t think it was his best game but it wasn’t that bad.

Just cross the fckn ball though mate for crying out loud.
  • Options
    Really can't see what Williams brings to the team - lots of effort but very little end product.
    Is he a better and more effective than the alternatives? I’d still say he is. He should have had an assist but Taylor missed the type of chance he’d usually take.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've just watched the highlights.  That's an awful miss by Igor, and that's an awful miss by Taylor.  If those two go in, it puts a totally different complexion on things.
  • Options
    I can’t remember a game where we played so badly yet won so comfortably. Just goes to show how bad Bradford were.
    too many players strolling around like it was a friendly. Dijksteel was awful . Williams no better . I forgot Reeves was playing until he came off and Aribo was far too casual. Igor isn’t the same player of two years ago but I think we all knew that.
    Taylor should have has a Hatrick . All that and we won ! 
    Cullen ran the midfield as he has done nearly every time he’s played . 
    Awful game but hey ho . Three points in the bag .

Play like that against Luton and we’ll get mullered.
    What did dijksteel do that made him awful? In the second half he was pushing up and beat the full back time and again and won a few corners although the final ball could be better. He kept the ball and used it well. He made one mistake in the second half but recovered to win back possession. It was his best performance in a charlton shirt and If that was solly pushing on like that, there would be lots of praise and man love.......unless I missed something?
    I do agree, he’s steadily improving, but getting slated for it! Played well yesterday, the busier of the two full backs, support Taylor and Reeves loads.
  • Options
    Bradford only put two up front on 86 minutes. That was about 15 minutes too late for them because they were knackered by then. They did a lot of chasing and working hard to close space but had nothing left in the tank late on, so we eased to victory.

On another day, Taylor would hit the target with his shots and score 3. Despite his misses, he did take his goal well and had a good game.
  • Options
    Really can't see what Williams brings to the team - lots of effort but very little end product.

He had a bad game yesterday but is normally one who can carry the ball and play at a high tempo. He did pull a nice ball back for Igor's blocked effort. Maybe with such a packed defence in front of him it was all a bit too tight and he could look better against teams that actually try to attack.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Has Igor “kicked on”?
    He does seem to have dropped a bit of pace but he's still getting into the right positions and it might just take one goal to get him going. I don't think either of his headed chances were especially easy (I thought the 2nd one was a tiny bit behind him). His touch looks ok but yesterday was hard because he was on his own for a lot of it. But he dug in and worked hard to close down and win a couple of tackles. I'd stick with him (and it was telling that Parker didn't get on).
  • Options
    Dijksteel is a work in progress, at the start of the season he got nosebleed if he advanced past the halfway line.

Now he is getting into much more advanced positions and starting to take on his marker, ok a lot of his centres were blocked today.

He is learning and continually improving, and strong defensively with a good technical level.

Stick with him i say, especially as - sad to say Solly is not getting any better.  
    Totally agree.

I love Dijksteel's strength and calmness but he would be well advised to have a chat with John Humphrey and get John to explain what a bit of drive would do for his game. Basically Dijksteel has to get fitter and show more intent.

Fair play to Paul Caddis yesterday.....he did his best to drive forward from right back despite playing in such a limited team. 
  • Options
    Heavens above - that was dull and dreary.  There is a simple existential fact about the point of football - it is about aggression, excitement, bravery and guts.  Yet, from start to finish we passed sideways across our defence and midfield. Cullen to Reeves, Reeves to Aribo, Aribo to Williams, Williams to Cullen.  And sideways again.
    Where is the spark, the vital fire?  We in the Covered End demand that our players advance - skin the opponent, double-shuffle if you like - and send the killer pass to a striker who will score.
    Oh dear!  Poor Igor Vetokele.  Those misses - yet again!  Lyle Taylor is the only attacking figure in our team with a cutting edge - sharp and ruthless.  We do miss Karlan Grant - the sprint and speed to leave defenders for dead.
    Bradford were strangely unambitious, staring at relegation - yet they hit the post late in the game.  Dangerous.  Why did we not stamp our authority on this game right from the start?  Sideways, backwards, keep possession.  My neighbour said it was like a training game played at the end of a season by men already dead.
    We must do better than this.  Last season, in the play-offs, we were beaten at home and away by Shrewsbury, a quaint little provincial town with an old sod paddling away on the Severn for lost balls in a coracle.
    Good players fight.  Bowyer knows this, empirically.  We should go for the jugular, straight from the kick-off.               

I was about to post my thoughts on the game until I read those from Viewfinder above. Exactly what I was going to say, so no point in me repeating it!
    Possibly the most boring game of the season so far.
  • Options
    Yes I thought Caddis was their best player. I thought he must be their elderly coach but on checking found out he was only 31!
  • Options
    Strange second half disappointing to watch,

I thought we were fantastic for the first 45 minutes, Taylor terrified their LB and CB, the midfiekd interplay passing was a joy to watch, a bit of good fortune (better finishing) 3:0 at half time.

All about Igor for me now, his form will be vital, the split strikers did not help yesterday, however, he worked hard and should/could have scored, “keep getting in position it will come”.

We have a situation like Shrewsbury had last year, half a dozen “non vital” games, hopefully, we can play Igor and Fosu into Goal scoring form.

Full praise for first half performance good to watch! 

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Last season, in the play-offs, we were beaten at home and away by Shrewsbury, a quaint little provincial town with an old sod paddling away on the Severn for lost balls in a coracle.

Believe that we lost to Shrewsbury in the play offs because we allowed them to bully us and not play our own game.

This seasons team is stronger and we’ve seen a few times that they’re willing to push back when provoked.

Also, the current 4 play off slots are taken by teams who play good passing football and we play well against those sides.

I wouldn’t say any of this years contenders are the old school lower league type of play that got Shrewsbury into play offs a year ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Meanwhile, who else but Reeves could have pulled off that Cruyff turn + dinked cross in the first half? Or the turn and through ball that narrowly missed Taylor?
    His Royal Sarrness, BeckenSarr the Enforcer.

He can do anything.
  • Options
    Bear with the stats .. in the 2019 calendar year so far we have played 14 league games .. scoring just 16 goals and conceding just 8 .. in only one game have we scored more than 2, that was 3 at Shrewsbury .. in the 14 games we have lost just 1.. defensively we are in great form, the attack is a major problem .. 
    BUT form like that could well see us successful in the play offs .. while I am a great believer in the maxim that the best form of defence is attack, paradoxically, a strong defence is the key to success .. we have seen off Pompey twice this season (but beware we beat last season's play off winners Rotherham twice in the league) and drawn at Doncaster .. we are well capable of beating anybody ..
     Against Sunderland away we were beaten by a last minute goal when our performance merited a draw (merit wins no points though) .. at the Valley, they almost overwhelmed us for the first half hour but we ended up arguably the stronger team by the finish .. against Barnsley away we were just beaten albeit by a very good team, we beat them at the Valley
    remember Huddersfield in their recent promotion run from the champ to the prem .. in the play offs they didn't win a game, they got through on penalties alone in every round .. a heart attack inducing way to go, BUT, I'd take that every second of the year

I will be watching today's Wembley match  between Sunderland and Portsmouth with great  interest
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Going to sound like a broken record but there's an unaccountable mass overrating of Cullen and likewise an underrating of Reeves on the player marks thread IMO. I know Cullen is the better player in a lot of ways and I know most of our play originates through him, but that's because we are set up with him as the pivot. It would be a shock if everything didn't go through him, at least at first. And while he was effective at recycling possession, I didn't think he played many particularly penetrating passes. Meanwhile, who else but Reeves could have pulled off that Cruyff turn + dinked cross in the first half? Or the turn and through ball that narrowly missed Taylor? Factor in the various reverse balls, good crosses and even a thundering tackle at one point and it's baffling why people still think he brings nothing. We look a better team when he's on the pitch almost every time. 

A microcosm of the unfair standards we're holding Reeves to is that once again his set pieces got slagged off. But our best two, maybe three chances from set pieces came from his corners, not Cullen's. What more could he have done? But it's quite possible he'll average two less than Cullen in the player marks. It does my head in 
    I think the major difference is that Cullen does what he does well, week in week out. Reeves does it sometimes. Reeves has his qualities, and he scores goals. Maybe he could score more, but he does score them. 

I think the player that loses out because of unfair standards is Taylor. I do it myself. He is so effective that if he simply has a good game, we are a bit disapointed and mark him down. If Vetokele had contributed the same as Taylor yesterday, we would have probably given him 8s! It is a compliment in a way.
  • Options
    Yes I thought Caddis was their best player. I thought he must be their elderly coach but on checking found out he was only 31!
    Yes, I had assumed he would be much older. It must be the Scottish genes!
  • Options
    Caddis was excellent for them yesterday.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Dijksteel is a work in progress, at the start of the season he got nosebleed if he advanced past the halfway line.

Now he is getting into much more advanced positions and starting to take on his marker, ok a lot of his centres were blocked today.

He is learning and continually improving, and strong defensively with a good technical level.

Stick with him i say, especially as - sad to say Solly is not getting any better.  
    Totally agree.

I love Dijksteel's strength and calmness but he would be well advised to have a chat with John Humphrey and get John to explain what a bit of drive would do for his game. Basically Dijksteel has to get fitter and show more intent.

Fair play to Paul Caddis yesterday.....he did his best to drive forward from right back despite playing in such a limited team. 
    Caddis is 30.
    Looked older than me!
  • Options
    Bowyer has to persist with Vetokele to try to play him into form, because there is no real alternative. He did get stuck in a few times yesterday and his acceleration seems to be coming back.
    Fosu has lost his confidence, there were a few times yesterday when he could have tried to turn his defender but went for the easy pass  back instead. If he is to be an impact sub then Bowyer has to tell him to take it on, we have no other threat from the bench.
    They key for me is that we need to go into the playoffs with a midfield of Bielik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams/Reeves. Keep them fit and we stand a chance, especially as 4 of them will be trying to impress  other clubs for next season.
  • Options
    Attended my first game of the season today.....and have to say that I'm glad we got the 3 points, but I thought it was a very poor game. After we scored (and Taylor took his goal well) I thought we would push on, but with the exception of the aforementioned Taylor who could have had a hat-trick, we looked 'jaded'. Lots of sideways passing, crosses that didn't beat the first man, some sloppy periods of play. When Half-time came I was expecting Lee to change it up a bit, but if anything the 2nd half was worse and we were lucky when they hit the post. Overall lets face it, like other teams have been doing, we won ugly. 
    However I had a good day, but it was spoiled by some bloke sitting in front of me, in the East Stand, who did nothing but moan and huff and puff from the off. He was banging on about wrong passes, how to run their defence etc etc, I agree it wasn't a good game, but really...moaning for all 93 minutes...fuck me!!
    Golfie ? :smile: