Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When will UEFA take racism seriously?

Comments

• se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Danny Rose gets racially abused whilst representing his country. Talks about how he’s sick of it and yet he becomes the bad guy in some people’s eyes, incredible. 
    They're condemning the racism, but pointing out how out of touch (maybe?) he is as a player (skin colour not relevant) comparing international football fines to what he'd spend on a night out.

Are you sure it isn't just people treating DR as an equal...
    But he didn’t just randomly offer that comment, he made it to illustrate the point that fines levied on clubs/national teams for racist behaviour are paltry.

You would have to purposely want to take that comment out of context to make his comment some sort of affront to the working man rather than about UEFA’s shoddy handling of racist incidents. 
    But do you think that by giving the the club a huge fine it will change the racist views of some of their supporters? I don't. Racism  is deeply entranched in a lot of Eastern Europe and the only way to sort that is by education. Something the clubs can't do a lot about.
  • I think a better way to phrase it from Danny Rose would have been to highlight the fact that teams get fined stupid amounts for what appear to be minor cases (i.e. Leeds got charged £200k for their spy gate scandal when their man was on public rather than private land) yet for racism yet Montenegro are being fined less than a quarter of that amount for their racist remarks

Surely it should be the other way around at the very least with racism fines being the heaviest that can be dished out
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Danny Rose gets racially abused whilst representing his country. Talks about how he’s sick of it and yet he becomes the bad guy in some people’s eyes, incredible. 
    They're condemning the racism, but pointing out how out of touch (maybe?) he is as a player (skin colour not relevant) comparing international football fines to what he'd spend on a night out.

But he didn’t just randomly offer that comment, he made it to illustrate the point that fines levied on clubs/national teams for racist behaviour are paltry.

You would have to purposely want to take that comment out of context to make his comment some sort of affront to the working man rather than about UEFA’s shoddy handling of racist incidents. 
    But do you think that by giving the the club a huge fine it will change the racist views of some of their supporters? I don't. Racism  is deeply entranched in a lot of Eastern Europe and the only way to sort that is by education. Something the clubs can't do a lot about.
    Clubs can't educate their fans about racism?  Really?  

https://cact.org.uk/news/red-white-black-day-to-take-place-on-saturday-9-march
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Well yes, clubs can lead the way on tackling racism - ours did.

And actually I think if clubs/national associations got enormous fines they might think about banning those responsible because there became a financial imperative to do so. They may not be able to control what goes on in wider society but they can control what they permit in their stadiums. 
  • Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Charlton play in the English league 1 not a Serbian or Montenegro domestic league which is where both of the complaints have been from.
  • Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Charlton play in the English league 1 not a Serbian or Montenegro domestic league which is where both of the complaints have been from.
    So? There used to be plenty of racism in London, change requires action.
  • Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I'm talking about from when kids start school.
  • Chizz said:
    i see Danny rose was in the papers today saying it is so bad that he cannot wait to retire, goes without saying that it should not happen and tbh i don't know how much of it goes on in prem but i have never heard any ( that players would hear ) at the valley. 

danny rose is on 60k a week if he did want to pursue a different career there would not be much stopping him - of course he shouldn't have to give up because of racist abuse

thoughts?
    Thoughts?  Well mine include the following: 
    1. No-one should ever be in a position where they consider not carrying out their profession because they are on the receiving end of racist abuse. 
    2. The fact you haven't heard any at The Valley ("that the players would hear") is of no relevance whatsoever. 
    3. If Danny Rose wanted to pursue a different career, he should be able to.  But no-one should be forced into making a choice of suffering racism or changing jobs. 
    4. It doesn't matter how much money someone earns: everyone should be entitled to live without being the victim of racist abuse. 
    5. He earns lots of money - that doesn't mean he should compromise on his rights. 
    6. Anyone who does hear racist abuse and can identify the perpetrator should take action - everyone is culpable, whether they're a perpetrator or if they're someone who fails to prevent it. 
    Regarding Point 2 
    i haven’t visited all 91 other pro clubs in the uk so can only comment on the fans I have sat with.... that fair enough knobber?
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I personally haven't taken it any way as I've not made the comment, but do you think that maybe you've now taken their comment out of context?
  • se9addick said:
    ha full marks for the distortion of a comment.

danny rose always talks out of turn and always shows his lack of appreciation for the luck he has had in life. (no little effort and skill of course, but should remember how lucky he is)

just see the outrageous comments on how he is better than Spurs, big mouth but doesnt engage brain.

what part of "i cant wait to retire so i can be done with it all" will help to resolve the problem of racism in football/society?

Danny rose had nothing to say on the matter before Raheem started speaking out. Ive never heard Sterling say the answer is to walk away. the answer is to do the business on the pitch and use your talent as a mouthpiece.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am, and always have been, a motivated and active challenger of any form of discrimination.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    i see Danny rose was in the papers today saying it is so bad that he cannot wait to retire, goes without saying that it should not happen and tbh i don't know how much of it goes on in prem but i have never heard any ( that players would hear ) at the valley. 

danny rose is on 60k a week if he did want to pursue a different career there would not be much stopping him - of course he shouldn't have to give up because of racist abuse

thoughts?
    Thoughts?  Well mine include the following: 
    1. No-one should ever be in a position where they consider not carrying out their profession because they are on the receiving end of racist abuse. 
    2. The fact you haven't heard any at The Valley ("that the players would hear") is of no relevance whatsoever. 
    3. If Danny Rose wanted to pursue a different career, he should be able to.  But no-one should be forced into making a choice of suffering racism or changing jobs. 
    4. It doesn't matter how much money someone earns: everyone should be entitled to live without being the victim of racist abuse. 
    5. He earns lots of money - that doesn't mean he should compromise on his rights. 
    6. Anyone who does hear racist abuse and can identify the perpetrator should take action - everyone is culpable, whether they're a perpetrator or if they're someone who fails to prevent it. 
    Regarding Point 2 
    i haven’t visited all 91 other pro clubs in the uk so can only comment on the fans I have sat with.... that fair enough knobber?
    Yes, that's totally fair.  But still of no relevance whatsoever. 
  • Minimal research but it seems the record fine for racism is to England, away in Turkey in 2004. €99k.

I think that justifies the thread title.
  • Minimal research but it seems the record fine for racism is to England, away in Turkey in 2004. €99k.

That’s some night out....
  • FFS It’s a throwaway line to point out that the fines aren’t big enough. Why are so many people focusing on his choice of words? He’s not the bad guy.
    Can we focus on the real issue here - tackling racism?
    Exactly!

It’s easy to forget quite how many people on here are actually pretty racist in their outlook - whether they realise or accept that fact. Those beliefs manifest in some very strange posts when confronted with a thread like this.

As in England were fined?? We didn’t get an allocation for that game? Do you mean at home to Turkey at the SOL? We did get fined but I think the pitch invasions were included in that. Whilst the chants were unacceptable, “i’d rather be a paki than a Turk” if I remember rightly, I’d suggest that was a one off incident based on a hatred for Turkey at the time after various incidents in the preceding years, rather than aimed at any individual or l any deep-rooted issue at the time or since.

Was a great opportunity for UEFA to stick the knife in though, which they are always desperate for and I think the fine, relative to other incidents, proves that.

As in England were fined?? We didn’t get an allocation for that game? Do you mean at home to Turkey at the SOL? We did get fined but I think the pitch invasions were included in that. Whilst the chants were unacceptable, “i’d rather be a paki than a Turk” if I remember rightly, I’d suggest that was a one off incident based on a hatred for Turkey at the time after various incidents in the preceding years, rather than aimed at any individual or l any deep-rooted issue at the time or since.

Was a great opportunity for UEFA to stick the knife in though, which they are always desperate for and I think the fine, relative to other incidents, proves that.

Agreed, uefa were over the moon when they had the chance to stick the knife in, I mean, all England did was sing racist songs, invade the pitch and have at least one supporter clash with an opposition player.

Agreed, uefa were over the moon when they had the chance to stick the knife in, I mean, all England did was sing racist songs, invade the pitch and have at least one supporter clash with an opposition player.
    At least we didn't break the crossbar while wearing skirts

yeah but it was against ingerland so no one cares

yeah but it was against ingerland so no one cares
    Everyone's cup final, playing the England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Disgraceful. 
  • Whilst we moan about FIFA and UEFA we certainly need to look to our own shores about issues

Football here in England needs a complete overhaul; the FA, Premier League, the Football League, just needs some independent regulator to deal with it all now as its becoming a joke
  • Good to see the press jumping on this one...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/10/padliham-congleton-non-league-fined-leaving-pitch-racist-abuse-fans

Even more embarrassing for the FA that the opposing team agreed with Padiham's decision
  • "All county FAs continue to work hard on tackling any forms of discrimination within the game. We encourage all participants and clubs to continue to report incidents and actions that fall into the categories of discrimination or racist abuse, so we can work together on eradicating it completely from the game.”

Yep....fining the club 160 quid, that'll definitely eradicate it
  • "All county FAs continue to work hard on tackling any forms of discrimination within the game. We encourage all participants and clubs to continue to report incidents and actions that fall into the categories of discrimination or racist abuse, so we can work together on eradicating it completely from the game.”

Yep....fining the club 160 quid, that'll definitely eradicate it
    To be fair £160 to Congleton probably isnt akin to the fines a League Club would get and imagine that sum does hurt them

The problem is the fact that Padiham shouldnt have been fined more, let alone at all
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47909511 

Arsenal investigating racial abuse of Koulibaly.

Wouldn't say it was a one-off. I was on the tube to Wembley for the Spain friendly where fat Frank scored - Bunch of knuckle draggers got on at Baker St and were singing it loud and 'proud' then too
  • although they are chelsea fans, technically speaking it wasn't inside a football ground, so what punishment can you hand out, also why should chelsea have to sort it out.