Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky Holmes - now at Southend (p4)

124»

Comments

• Options
    Hasn’t played in about 18 months by the looks.
  • Options
    I thought he'd retired
  • Options
    I thought he'd retired
    Me to
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Could do a job for us at this level.

Not really.
  • Options
    Hope he smashes it. Class player for us. 
  • Options
    I believe it was the second home game of the season when he scored the hatrick against Shrewsbury. One straight from a corner, one goal from 25 yards and ?
    I can't remember the other goal but I'm know he was magic that day and had a magic spell until he was head hunted by Sheffield United and his form fell away over the last 6 weeks or so. An exciting player who was good in a mediocre team.
  • Options
    I believe it was the second home game of the season when he scored the hatrick against Shrewsbury. One straight from a corner, one goal from 25 yards and ?
    I can't remember the other goal but I'm know he was magic that day and had a magic spell until he was head hunted by Sheffield United and his form fell away over the last 6 weeks or so. An exciting player who was good in a mediocre team.
    https://youtu.be/64uEji6eE9s

Lovely hat-trick. He was a fantastic player was Ricky Holmes, but I felt we ended up playing some of our worst, as well as best football with him in the team.

Under Robinson we became so predictable - pass it along the back line, get it out to Holmes who would then have to essentially take it past the whole team as there were no other options. 

• Options
    https://youtu.be/64uEji6eE9s

Lovely hat-trick. He was a fantastic player was Ricky Holmes, but I felt we ended up playing some of our worst, as well as best football with him in the team.

Under Robinson we became so predictable - pass it along the back line, get it out to Holmes who would then have to essentially take it past the whole team as there were no other options. 

It wasn’t just Holmes though, we were sometimes too predictable with other players who stood out such as Lookman and Taylor and the game play would be to get the ball to them and hope they’d do something with it. Take them out if the game, mark them, dunk them on their arse if they get the ball and you break up the attack
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Thanks @FishCostaFortune for posting that. My memory wasn't totally accurate with the 3 goals but I knew they were crackers.  
    Agree with the summing up of Ricky Holmes where everyone passed the responsibility on to him and we became so predictable. I'm sure he played with injuries after the many kicks he received. 

Sad to see his career fall away after his move to Sheffield United. 

I tried to see the booing he received by the covered end when he was on loan at Oxford as being at a panto but still feel their tossers for doing that and the sheep who joined in.

• Options
    It was the away game that had his hatrick. Two cracking goals from him in the home game though, I think JJ got our other goal that night, incidentally his final Charlton goal. 

If only we could recreate that form against Shrewsbury when we played them the following season!
  • Options
    His goals/assists and attacking play is what I'm expecting from Maddison at this level. Once we work out whether his ankle is injured, needs recovery or is in the squad for the next game.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    CAFCTrev said:
    It was the away game that had his hatrick. Two cracking goals from him in the home game though, I think JJ got our other goal that night, incidentally his final Charlton goal. 

If only we could recreate that form against Shrewsbury when we played them the following season!

I have finally lost it, I must be colour blind !
    Cheers Trevor, one of those goal was identical to the one he scored at the valley.
    No goal straight from a corner was the give away. JJ getting his final Cafc goal slipped my memory.
    Six months from being at the valley and I forgot what the stadium looks like.

Must put my glasses on next time I look at a video  B)

• Options
    Mark Marshall on one wing, Ricky Holmes on the other. Who thought that CAFC 2017 was such a vintage year that others would copy it 😂
    4th or 5th highest budget in the league we had too I think?
  • Options
    I hope he does well, especially against Sunderland, Portsmouth, hull etc but he has hardly played for 3 years and in football years, age is against him. Can’t see it working. Hope I’m wrong
  • Options
    Was a great player for us, hopefully everything goes well for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like he has joined Southend.
  • Options
    Blimy Southend really is last chance saloon this season isn't it.  Supprised Marcus hasn't rocked up there, yet. 
  • Options
    Where was he at before, was it Northampton?
  • Options
    Bloody hell. Can we have him back?
  • Options
    Bloody hell. Can we have him back?
    Not a Bowyer player. Too much of a maverick & not a team player.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Blimy Southend really is last chance saloon this season isn't it.  Supprised Marcus hasn't rocked up there, yet. 
    I was joking but Marcus starts at Southend today, Ricky on the bench.  No sign of Ranger 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Probably the best player we had in the Karl Robinson era.