Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricky Holmes - now at Southend (p4)

Comments

• Ricky may be transfer listed by Sheff Utd, but he's still under contract.

If he has a serious injury, he's not going to pass any new club's medical.
    He'll first need to spend the summer receiving treatment at Sheff Utd. 

Wilder was also Holmes' manager at Northampton, before bringing him to Sheff Utd.

• Interestingly Ricky flew in to Faro, Portugal earlier today as we saw him at the airport.

hope he can get back playing soon though. Waste of talent

• edited May 2019
    Looks set to sign for AFC Wimbledon
  • Looks set to sign for AFC Wimbledon
    As he's still under contract at Sheffield Utd, are they subsidising this as he would be taking a massive pay cut?
  • I would not mind him back here as a backup. Who knows, he might regain his form.
  • His back injury is bad hence Sheffield Utd releasing him

he can’t cut it in the Championship
  • Bows did not want him last season.
  • Wouldn’t want him in the Champ but he would still be our best (only winger) 
  • hes finished - had some good games for us he left for better things and it didn't work out - injury prone. 
  • thanks but no thanks. We have moved on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• tony watt back?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Ricky may be transfer listed by Sheff Utd, but he's still under contract.

Wilder was also Holmes' manager at Northampton, before bringing him to Sheff Utd.

I’ts a very big NO from me.
  • I know, lets assemble a squad made up from all the has beens, wantaways & general players of yesteryear shall we. I'll start with the ones already mentioned so far this week ;

Hariott
    Cousins
    Watt
    Holmes
    Shelvey

You can get KR to manage them as well if you like. I will stick with LB & the team he wants to assemble if you don't mind - which wont include any of the above thats for sure. 

No Shelvey? Don't be an idiot. 

And Bowyer might want to assemble an squad, but he might not have a choice as to which one he can assemble. 
  • edited May 2019
    Fill the gaps in the team with previous wantaways etc?
    Pope 
    Dijksteel - Konsa - Pearce - DaSilva
    Shelvey
    Fosu----- Aribo --- Holmes
    Taylor - Grant

You're right I don't want that team...
  • I'd use as back up or if we needed to change system to included genuine wingers. I like Dazzlers  team above ;) 
    Not normally a fan of people coming back but Holmes if he can find his quality likewise if Fosu ever fits the system and gets firing they would be useful.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Ricky may be transfer listed by Sheff Utd, but he's still under contract.

I’ts a very big NO from me.
    In my post that you quoted, SoundAs - I wasn't suggesting that we signed him ...... just that he's still under contract at Sheff Utd. 

If he does have a serious back injury, he'll need the summer to rehabiliate at Sheff Utd.

After not even being able to play during his half-season loan at Gillingham, surely no new club will touch him until he passes a medical and proves 100% fitness.

Taylor spends 50% of his time out wide, and we need two  strikers to get on the end of chances created by Lyle.

Taylor spends 50% of his time out wide, and we need two  strikers to get on the end of chances created by Lyle.

More reason to get a proper winger, or get Fosu to sort his life out! Get Taylor back in the middle and running behind defenders. 

More reason to get a proper winger, or get Fosu to sort his life out! Get Taylor back in the middle and running behind defenders. 
    Bows doesn't do wingers.

Unless you're saying he's been wrong all season?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2019

Wouldn’t want him in the Champ but he would still be our best (only winger) 

Bows doesn't do wingers.

Unless you're saying he's been wrong all season?
    No he doesn't although Taylor has been on the wing alot lately. I have said if he changes his system or as an option to change from the bench, i am aware he doesn't fit in the way he likes to set up. But its always good to have a plan B (dont tell Gobbo) 

PS - The set up in a division higher might be different, not saying it will but sometimes its slightly different how you would play in different leagues. 
  • Be surprised if Ricky Holmes goes to Wombles for 100k, only place I've seen that is one of those useless twitter itk accounts and the well informed BexleyBoy on ITTV...

Can see him out on loan again, maybe even back to Northampton or some other league 2 club and finishing his career non league. Shame cause he really was a bright spark here 
  • Be surprised if Ricky Holmes goes to Wombles for 100k, only place I've seen that is one of those useless twitter itk accounts and the well informed BexleyBoy on ITTV...

Can see him out on loan again, maybe even back to Northampton or some other league 2 club and finishing his career non league. Shame cause he really was a bright spark here 
    If Holmes is fit he'll go to a much better team than AFC on loan or permanently, as he's a quality player at L1 level

On the other hand, if he's still hampered by his back(?) injury, why would anyone take him on?

If Holmes is fit he'll go to a much better team than AFC on loan or permanently, as he's a quality player at L1 level

On the other hand, if he's still hampered by his back(?) injury, why would anyone take him on?
    It's more that I can't see a club like Wimbledon spending that kind of money. One of their recent signings was from Metropolitan Police FC, that's their market. 

I also don't see many clubs taking a gamble with his injury record. I think Blades will pay him off and he will end up in a league 1 lower half or challenging league 2 club. 

Taylor's stats were so good because he isn't just a number 9.  Why limit him when he does so many assists as a wide man and  can score as a striker as well. Karlan Grant played the same way by going wide at times and alternating with Lyle in the box.
    Magic partnership that we did well to overcome when it was prematurely broken up.
  • edited May 2019
    Ricky Holmes was superb in his first season for us.  He and Josh Magennis were a breath of fresh air.  We had suffered seasons of negative, sideways moves - and suddenly here was a midfield player who carried the ball from defence to attack, provided goals and scored them, too.  Holmes also scored direct from free-kicks outside the box, the son of Yann Kermorgant.

Bowyer at that time was still tending carp at his fishing lakes in France.

We had watched with horror midfielders like Poyet, Kashi and many others who were simply incapable of attacking, aggressive play.  Holmes is contracted at Sheffield United for another year, but has been made available for transfer.

It's a pity that serious injury has stunted the career of such a skilful, intelligent and progressive player.  
  • cafctom said:
    Think it’s a little unfair to suggest that he isn’t Championship quality - especially based on how good he was for us.

Also let’s not forget that this Sheffield United side is the best they’ve had in over a decade - not being able to break into it certainly doesn’t mean you’re not a good player.

Ricky Holmes at his best is absolute quality. Anyone suggesting otherwise clearly wasn’t watching when he was playing for us.
    He was quality apart from his crossing which wasn't.
    He's had a long term back injury and been out for months.
  • Just seen the account who started the Ricky Holmes rumour no doubt. Never seen such a nonsense transfer account and I've seen some.

It's at is @TransferCentre9

My favourite is one they posted 9 hours ago. Posted a rumour about a player that had already signed for MK Dons