Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrible Mosque Shooting in New Zealand

Comments

• Options
    Terrible news to wake up to. What depths do you have to sink to to think this sort of mass murder is a solution to anything other than your own mental illness?
    RIP to all the victims and their families.
  • Options
    Awful. Just goes to show that it's not only Muslims that can be radicalised.
  • Options
    Spent most of the morning trying to make sense of this (really glad I didn't see any of the fuckwit's footage that was live-streamed).

While humans are capable of many wonderful things, we're also the worst shits ever, barbarism is never far enough away from the surface (which, allied with our supreme ability to ignore what does not impact upon us directly, depresses the hell out of me).

RIP to the victims, and condolences to relatives and those scarred by this massacre. 
  • Options
    Really good bit of journalism (again) by bellingcat, explaining the journalism traps that the shooters have set up 

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/03/15/shitposting-inspirational-terrorism-and-the-christchurch-mosque-massacre/
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    anyone can be radicalised (you don't even really need an outside influence) just need to have the right state of mind to adopt bat shit crazy ideals that go against any decent moral code. then to follow those ideals to the extreme and use them to justifier your actions.
  • Options
    White supremacists have long been a terrorist threat - there are a lot of angry hateful people out there.

The politicians who fuel this know who they are but will deny any responsibility.

We need to promote unity not division.

I feel so terribly sorry for those who have died and their families.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    RIP to those that have lost their lives and the speediest recovery to those injured.  

I have nothing but contempt for the evil, inadequate and pathetic low-lifes that perpetrated this abhorrent act and for those who foment the radicalisation that spawns events like this.  

Thankfully there are still more of us than them. 
    Your last sentence is what gives me hope that things can and will get better .
    RIP all who died 
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    anyone can be radicalised (you don't even really need an outside influence) just need to have the right state of mind to adopt bat shit crazy ideals that go against any decent moral code. then to follow those ideals to the extreme and use them to justifier your actions.
    You just have to look at some of the batshit opinions of people in the politics group on here to see it’s not a far stretch from defending politicians you like to mass murdering regimes around the world and throughout history, simply because it fits with their opinions on particular individuals.
  • Options
    Absolutely awful. Thoughts with our Kiwi Addicks and hope that you and yours are okay.

Will save the rest of my thoughts for the House of Commoners. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really good bit of journalism (again) by bellingcat, explaining the journalism traps that the shooters have set up 

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/03/15/shitposting-inspirational-terrorism-and-the-christchurch-mosque-massacre/
    bellingcat.......I wonder if this person is from the Bellingham/Catford area?
  • Options

bellingcat.......I wonder if this person is from the Bellingham/Catford area?
    Bellingcat is an open source (meaning you and I could contribute if we wanted) investigative journalist organisation, created by Eliot Higgins, who set it all up from his bedroom just by looking things up and cross referencing things. 
  • Options
    The shooter says in his manifesto that 8chan was heavily influential in his radicalization. Is that an offshoot of 4chan? And isn’t 4chan where all the celeb phone hacks were released? I assume 4 and 8chan are dark web locations of some kind. I suspect those kinds of areas are ruining the minds of lots of people.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    RIP to those that have lost their lives and the speediest recovery to those injured.  

I have nothing but contempt for the evil, inadequate and pathetic low-lifes that perpetrated this abhorrent act and for those who foment the radicalisation that spawns events like this.  

Sadly though, they have the bombs and bullets.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Chizz said:

Sadly though, they have the bombs and bullets.
    But no coherent philosophy other than bigotry and hatred. They ultimately can't win however much chaos they cause.

These are not intelligent people.
  • Options
    Just when you think things can’t get any worse. 
    Love to Kiwi Addicks and may those affected find solice in the warmth of their friends & families. 
    To those who died in a place they thought was safe, may you forever Rest In Peace. 
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    What a strange thing to say
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    addick05 said:

Why strange? Perhaps I should have expanded a little. So many incidents of terrorist attacks worldwide and the media love the 'radicalism' tag - especially when these atrocities are carried out by Islamist fanatics. My comment was meant to show that anyone can be radicalised. Sorry if it sounded a little confusing.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    After every terrorist arrack you always get stuff floating around on Twitter. Having seen the video of it this morning I’d advise against opening the app until it’s removed.

Its horrificly surreal. 
    I opened a video on a reddit early-on as it was unfolding before posting this thread here figuring it was a news report (even CNN's TV channel was not reporting it here at the time.) Instead of a news report, it was some of the live stream. Honestly, it took me about 15 seconds to realize it was actually... real. It looked exactly like a first person shooter video game. I hear there is more footage worse than what I saw apparently. I've kind of been stunned ever since. Not sure I could ever play one of those games now.
    I did something similar. Opened a video on Whatsapp this morning, I thought I was watching some video game footage, took me about 20 seconds to realise it was actually real.  Awful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick05 said:
    shine166 said:
    addick05 said:

Why strange? Perhaps I should have expanded a little. So many incidents of terrorist attacks worldwide and the media love the 'radicalism' tag - especially when these atrocities are carried out by Islamist fanatics. My comment was meant to show that anyone can be radicalised. Sorry if it sounded a little confusing.
    Christians can be radicalised.
    Muslims can be mentally ill.

Or is it the same thing anyway?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Social media must take some responsibility.  The grooming and encouragement that  influences the vulnerable, unstable, and hateful on those platforms is more powerful than any amount of education can combat. 

RIP.
  • Options
    It’s been heartwarming to read the messages of condolence.  There have been messages from all over the world including Theresa May and the Queen.  My favourite - if that’s the right word - came from Prince Charles.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Deleted
  • Options
    The only one truly responsible is the shooter. There may be things that inspired or encouraged him but ultimately the only one who chose to pull the trigger is him and him alone.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    /
  • Options
    Nope

Rock & roll wasn't to blame
    Hippies weren't to blame
    Dungeons & Dragons wasn't to blame
    Heavy metal wasn't to blame
    Rap wasn't to blame
    Video games weren't to blame
    And social media isn't to blame. 

Kneejerk responses to atrocities help nobody. The roots of this are much, much deeper than that - and attempting to 'blame' something trivialises it
    I said "some" responsibility.

True, but why single out social media among the hundreds of other things that bear 'some' responsibility? All that does is give it a convenient scapegoat to pin the blame on, which means the complex underlying issues get ignored. 
    Social media offers a means for extremists to share their ideas that didn't previously exist. To say it isn't a contributory factor in the rapid spread of ideology would be ludicrous.

Warped hateful individuals can now connect much more easily with like minded psychos - this wasn't quite so easy in the past.
  • Options
    Nope

Rock & roll wasn't to blame
    Hippies weren't to blame
    Dungeons & Dragons wasn't to blame
    Heavy metal wasn't to blame
    Rap wasn't to blame
    Video games weren't to blame
    And social media isn't to blame. 

Kneejerk responses to atrocities help nobody. The roots of this are much, much deeper than that - and attempting to 'blame' something trivialises it
    I said "some" responsibility.

True, but why single out social media among the hundreds of other things that bear 'some' responsibility? All that does is give it a convenient scapegoat to pin the blame on, which means the complex underlying issues get ignored. 
    I deleted my comment because it was obviously leading to a distraction from the actual tragedy of this event. 
    Me too pal - if you delete this it'll be like it never happened