Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Fans’ Forum invites supporters to 2019 Player of the Year at The Valley on Sunday, May 5th.

Comments

• Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    cafc4life said:
    Personally think Dijksteel deserved that more 
    I agree, assuming Bielik and Cullen aren't eligible (both of whom are younger than Lapslie and Dijksteel). I don't know when votes are taken but it's really been in the last few games that Dijksteel has really grown into his own. He's our first choice RB with or without Solly as far as I'm concerned.

Cullen's older than any of them. Maybe just me but I don't see young player of the year as an award for a player we've signed on loan to play for the first team. Makes sense to me that it's one of our own young players who has made an impact in the first team and improved in the past year.

Cullen Born: 7 April 1996 (age 23 years)
    Bielik Born: 4 January 1998 (age 21 years)
    Lapslie Born: 5 September 1997 (age 21 years)
    Dijksteel Born: 27 October 1996 (age 22 years)
    If the award was voted on now, I wonder if Morgan might have pipped Lapslie
    Dijksteel would have won IMO
  • Thanks to Jean and Ian for a great night. Well done folks!
  • Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    cafc4life said:
    Personally think Dijksteel deserved that more 
    I agree, assuming Bielik and Cullen aren't eligible (both of whom are younger than Lapslie and Dijksteel). I don't know when votes are taken but it's really been in the last few games that Dijksteel has really grown into his own. He's our first choice RB with or without Solly as far as I'm concerned.

Cullen's older than any of them. Maybe just me but I don't see young player of the year as an award for a player we've signed on loan to play for the first team. Makes sense to me that it's one of our own young players who has made an impact in the first team and improved in the past year.

Cullen Born: 7 April 1996 (age 23 years)
    Bielik Born: 4 January 1998 (age 21 years)
    Lapslie Born: 5 September 1997 (age 21 years)
    Dijksteel Born: 27 October 1996 (age 22 years)
    If the award was voted on now, I wonder if Morgan might have pipped Lapslie
    Isn’t the winner chosen by Steve Avory? I’m not sure he’d change his mind based on recent form.
  • edited May 2019
    Someone has posted on a fb group that they have been told Igor is out for 10-12 weeks
    If this was true, surely Bowyer wouldn't have said he expected him back for the -offs although there seems to be a lack of detail in his update. Generally, you would say what the problem is, like a tight muscle or something!

As for young player, I think it is an award you have to give to one of your prospects, not another clubs. It is different to overall player of the year in that respect.
  • For the first time for years we had competition for the awards and places.
    It's subjective and other than Lyle Taylor Baby winning the main award because he has been good from Match 1 till 46 all the other awards and places could've gone to numerous players.
    Any other year, Bielik, Cullen, Nabster, Aribo, Phillips, Bauer or Taylor could have won.
    Plus if we had fallen away and ended up 7th Grant would of Won !
  • Must admit I heard concerning stuff about Igor's injury from two different and well-connected sources yesterday.
    Did you hear it from Igor though ?
    I knew we couldn't get 3 games
    (play-offs)out of Igor but the thought he may not play 1 would be scary judging by Parker's erratic performance on Saturday.
  • I am astonished there is any debate over Lapslie.
    He is now, and will become a very good player as will Morgan.
    Pause and think about the trajectory of young players. They very rarely land in any team fully formed and ready to go. Brandon Hanlan and Joe Piggot are amongst two examples of lat(er) development, as is Karlan.
    If you think of a young player starting 'men's football' a bit like a new kid in year 7 being rather in awe of the big kids in years 10 and 11 you get the idea. 
    Once settled and assimilated more Lapslie will be fine. He deserves his award in my view, he has actually opened the door for the management to have confidence in introducing other young players like Djiksteel and Morgan.
  • Igor is still feeling his injury and is by no means sure whether he will be able to participate in the play offs. He has a scan scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. My impression was that there is no chance of him being involved next weekend. After that, who knows?
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I am astonished there is any debate over Lapslie.
    Pause and think about the trajectory of young players. They very rarely land in any team fully formed and ready to go. Brandon Hanlan and Joe Piggot are amongst two examples of lat(er) development, as is Karlan.
    If you think of a young player starting 'men's football' a bit like a new kid in year 7 being rather in awe of the big kids in years 10 and 11 you get the idea. 
    Once settled and assimilated more Lapslie will be fine. He deserves his award in my view, he has actually opened the door for the management to have confidence in introducing other young players like Djiksteel and Morgan.
    Lapslie works hard and is full of enthusiasm etc. Morgan (who's younger) though seems a cut above him in terms of vision and control.
  • some of @wwtone 's photos from last night.

Lee asks @killerjerrylee if he can play up front on Sunday
  • Steve Avory saying "don't listen to those people on Charlton Life, it's young player of the year not the last game played".

• seth plum said:
    I am astonished there is any debate over Lapslie.
    Lapslie works hard and is full of enthusiasm etc. Morgan (who's younger) though seems a cut above him in terms of vision and control.
    They are different players, and both in their own ways a team mates dream.
  • @killerjerrylee and @Fanny Fanackapan with some bloke who was very excited to meet them

• Lee and Igor with @wwtone

• Dr Kish (Chris Thompson) Henry Irving said:
    @Fanny Fanackapan @killerjerrylee who was fan of the year?

• Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:
    Dr Kish (Chris Thompson) Henry Irving said:
    @Fanny Fanackapan @killerjerrylee who was fan of the year?

Cheers, well deserved
  • Are the voting results ever released? - I'd love to know how much of a gap there was between the top three

Even how much of the vote the likes of Bielik and Phillips got
  • Are the voting results ever released? - I'd love to know how much of a gap there was between the top three

OS says Taylor got 52%, can’t see any mention of anyone else though.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ccf22171b314/lyle-taylor-named-201819-player-of-the-year
  • Scoham said:
    Are the voting results ever released? - I'd love to know how much of a gap there was between the top three

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ccf22171b314/lyle-taylor-named-201819-player-of-the-year
    Every player on the list (10+ games) got at least one vote.
  • To complete my files, could someone tell me who came 2nd and 3rd in seasons:
    08-09,10-11,11-12 and 16-17?
  • 2016-17 Jackson second and Lookman third. 2011-12  Kermorgant second and Jackson third.
  • Igor is still feeling his injury and is by no means sure whether he will be able to participate in the play offs. He has a scan scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. My impression was that there is no chance of him being involved next weekend. After that, who knows?
    What is this injury and when did it happen? (I guess I have missed news of it elsewhere, so apologies if it's generally known)
  • edited May 2019
    It was strange when Bowyer said he expected him to be fit next week, he didn't say what the problem was. My guess is that he hasn't recovered from a knock as quickly as hoped for which suggests a deeper issue. I presume they know now, and the scan is merely going to confirm the seriousness which from reports Igor is not hopeful about. He could be being negative because of all the injuries he has suffered in recent years. The only reason why I can think they are waiting until Tuesday to have it, rather than now is that if it needs an op he is out for the play offs so timings don't matter.
  • Scoham said:
    Are the voting results ever released? - I'd love to know how much of a gap there was between the top three

Every player on the list (10+ games) got at least one vote.
    Every player voted for themselves :-)