Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    I actually think he is vastly overhyped on here. Average Prem player at best. Cannot see him being a regular starter for Southampton.

Southampton won't pay this money as modest as it may sound for a squad player.
    Is it over hyped or just loyalty to an ex player who has had more success at Rangers than many thought possible including Lee Bowyer. I thought Aston Villa and Stevie G might put in a bid but they have already pushed the boat out to be a top 12 premier club where Southampton are regular premier hangers on by the time the business end of the season comes round. 
    Joe Aribo if he gets this 4 year contract at Southampton at 25 have really made good considering he never played in a League clubs academy. 

Joe Aribo is a role model to many young black players in London and especially South London that going to non League at 18(Staines not Cafc !) doesn't mean you won't still make it.
  • Options
    Don’t know if we agree a sell on in the tribunal, hopefully they would have had the sense at the time to maybe agree a lower compensation and higher sell fee! 

We did get around 250k I believe at the time… I know he left at the end of his contract, but we offered him a contract, he refused to sign, because of his age at the time we got a tribunal fee
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Joe Aribo is a class player and I think he’ll have no difficulty whatsoever in holding his own in the Premier League. A fine, humble and respectful young man as well, by all accounts. I look forward to seeing him plying his trade on Match of the Day.

Didn’t the imbecilic Duchatelet withdraw a new contract offer to Joe before the start of 2018/19 because he was trying to force through a transfer to Southampton or Derby for £900,000 ? It was certainly reported in the credible press at the time. Another example of unforgivable, egregious negligence by our erstwhile owner.
    dooshitalot certainly withdrew/reneged on a contract offer that JA hadn't agreed to swiftly enough (for RD)
    don't know if RD was failing to engineer a transfer like he had done with Michael Morrison (ultimately forcing him out on loan)

JA then making his own arrangements was disappointing but entirely unsurprising and nothing more than the belgian arsehole deserved
    Scottish Prem is worlds away from the English top division in both quality and physicality.  It'll be interesting how often we hear JA's name on MOTD as Saints stumble around the lower reaches of the division for another season. 
  • Options
    Joe Aribo's transfer to Southampton is progressing nicely and will be announced soon.
  • Options
    Only downside to the move is he has to play in what looks an awful Southampton kit this season!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Katerine was right.  We got to see a Premiership star in the making. 
  • Options
    I wonder if villa tried to sign him when they found out he was in talks with Southampton
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I wonder if villa tried to sign him when they found out he was in talks with Southampton
    Yeah I'm surprised Southampton have seemingly got this done unchallenged and without having to pay Rangers much. Honestly don't think there are many teams in the premier League whose midfield he wouldn't improve.
  • Options
    I don't suspect playing for Southampton will afford him the luxury of "showcasing his talent".  Up north in "The Division of two competitors" he could show off week after week. Be under no illusions Joe. You are entering perennial relegation world at Soton. 

I wish you every success in the dog fight
     Villa would have been a perfect fit. 

• Options
    Pretty low risk signing for the money.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Stevie G recently purchased for 350K Rory Wilson from Rangers, a 16 year old "Wonder kid" striker. One for the future. 
    Rangers then went and purchased 16 year old Zac Lovelace from Millwall who made his 1st team debut last season becoming the second youngest ever player to represent our Nemesis.

Looking at Villa's midfield, they have an abundance of talent in that area and I didn't hear a whisper that Joe would go there from his associates. Aribo would've gone from playing 70+ games to being a sub for Villa and the difference is he should play every game for Southampton. Joe is set up for life with this contract.
  • Options
    Does a dribble of cash come Charlton's way, sorry but I can't remember if it will. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does a dribble of cash come Charlton's way, sorry but I can't remember if it will. 
    No I don't think so, because tribunal payments when a player leaves to go to another country are almost non-existant 
  • Options
    I'm pleased aribo proved bowyer wrong. His success at rangers and recent transfer has also given the SPL a lift in its football reputation. 

He clearly has and had a genuine love for Rangers after playing for them and experience of life up in Glasgow. 

He had a required courage to actually play for them in the 1st place.

I personally hope bowyer openly admits he was wrong. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dave2l said:
    I'm pleased aribo proved bowyer wrong. His success at rangers and recent transfer has also given the SPL a lift in its football reputation. 

He clearly has and had a genuine love for Rangers after playing for them and experience of life up in Glasgow. 

Had he gone to Brentford , he might have been playing in the premier league a lot earlier . 

I don't think he would give a shit. He chose a pathway that he clearly warmed to.

He's taking a particular outside experience with him to the premier League. He at least would have learned and picked up things within those 3 years.  
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Dave2l said:

I am not. Rangers have trousered a massive transfer fee when they paid us next to nothing.Bowyer was sticking up for Charlton's interests.Had he gone to Brentford that would have given us a better fee as it wasn't cross border.

Maybe we could have signed a couple of players which could have kept us up.

I forgot about that to be honest. Vaguely remember it now.

We needed the money and received nothing for his talent.

I was just considering a players progression
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dave2l said:

Had he gone to Brentford , he might have been playing in the premier league a lot earlier . 

I don't think he would give a shit. He chose a pathway that he clearly warmed to.

He's taking a particular outside experience with him to the premier League. He at least would have learned and picked up things within those 3 years.  
    He might have learnt a little playing in the europa league and for Nigeria .  Not convinced battering Dundee United will have done much for his footballing development 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dave2l said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dave2l said:

He might have learnt a little playing in the europa league and for Nigeria .  Not convinced battering Dundee United will have done much for his footballing development 
    He has has played (and scored) in a European cup final, won a championship, won a domestic cup final and every other week for two years has played in front of a massive crowd in one of Britain's best stadia. 

For two years he has played under the guidance of one of the best footballers this country has produced in recent years.

Now he is playing in the Premier League, the strongest league in world football. Southampton wouldn't be buying him if he were still a Division 3 player.

He will do well in the PL, irrespective of how good or bad Dundee United were.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dave2l said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dave2l said:

He has has played (and scored) in a European cup final, won a championship, won a domestic cup final and every other week for two years has played in front of a massive crowd in one of Britain's best stadia. 

For two years he has played under the guidance of one of the best footballers this country has produced in recent years.

Now he is playing in the Premier League, the strongest league in world football. Southampton wouldn't be buying him if he were still a Division 3 player.

You're right but they would have bought him last year or the year before if he'd been playing in the Championship and he'd be an even better player than he already is having played in a far more competitive league. They'd also likely have paid a lot more for him as well.

Either way Southampton have a bargain and I think he'll do very well there.

• Options
    Jac_52 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dave2l said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dave2l said:

You're right but they would have bought him last year or the year before if he'd been playing in the Championship and he'd be an even better player than he already is having played in a far more competitive league. They'd also likely have paid a lot more for him as well.

Either way Southampton have a bargain and I think he'll do very well there.

Undeniably , he’s a class player