Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    Fair to say Aribo has been a bit of a disappointment so far. 2 goals in 23 SPL games is an abysmal return for an attacking midfielder in a side who dominate probably 80% of their games.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It wasn't the right move for him but in one way, financially it probably was. We tend to look at players in terms of their potential and the goal being optimising it. But many players probably prioritise money over their careers and many agents certainly do. So we look at Aribo and think he has made a mistake but he may not be doing so when he checks his bank account. I think decent players going to Scotland should be at the end of their careers. It is a poor league. 
  • Options
    I get the feeling some people are taking pleasure in seeing this sort of stuff.

What was he meant to do? Sign Roland’s piss poor one year offer which was for less money than the previous offer? Yeah, that makes sense. Such a dick, that Aribo fella.
  • Options
    I think he could have signed for a Championship club which would have given him a better stepping stone.
  • Options
    Yeah or he could still be playing for Charlton. 
  • Options
    Well, who knows if he had. Maybe there would be Premier League clubs sniffing about for him. 
  • Options
    It's really a six of one and half dozen of the other situation.

Going to Rangers is a great move, playing in front of 45,000 every home game, playing in Europe and challenging for honours - plus a very decent wedge.

On the other hand, playing in the Championship gives you MUCH better visibility to the Premier League clubs, if you can do it in the Championship in an average team like Charlton then you have a good chance of doing OK in the Premier League.

You only have to look at how Conor Gallagher improved his reputation while he was here and he will probably go on loan to a Premier League team next season.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Fair to say Aribo has been a bit of a disappointment so far. 2 goals in 23 SPL games is an abysmal return for an attacking midfielder in a side who dominate probably 80% of their games.

It's not always greener on the other side. Players (and agents) too often think their player is the CAUSE of their own greatness, in isolation. And thus they believe that player deserves as much money as Player X, elsewhere, on Z wages. But they fail to understand that in many cases they are of a certain quality BECAUSE of all the other moving parts around them; teammates, club culture, luck, even fans. And thus the player moves-on from a good place, lose their own narrative and finally, control over their own destiny. To me it seems when things are going well and you like it at Club Y, then only leave if you almost have no choice, not for a marginal step-up. Unfortunately, agents only see their fees and since most players are young and relatively uneducated about the world, they come under the influence of those who should be looking out for them, but are only out for themselves. Agents have probably ruined more careers than injuries have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and missing out on 12k a week :)
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Admittedly we would have had to pay him more than he was on but if we had started 12 months earlier and increased his wages by £6k a week then I reckon he’d still be here on £8k a week more with 2 years left to run in his contract with a year’s extension.

Then when we sold him to a premier league club next year (or we got promoted) he’d be in line for a big pay day and a new contract. 

What might have been eh?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Depends on why you play football I suppose. If it's to test yourself against the best players you can, in some of the best stadiums that you can then Premier League or The Championship is the way to go. If its to pick up the money & you dont care if you are playing in front of 5k fans every other week or against players that would just about make League 1 then stay in The Scottish Premiership.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Depends on why you play football I suppose. If it's to test yourself against the best players you can, in some of the best stadiums that you can then Premier League or The Championship is the way to go. If its to pick up the money & you dont care if you are playing in front of 5k fans every other week or against players that would just about make League 1 then stay in The Scottish Premiership.
    They are called professionals for a reason. They don't play football to test themselves against the best. First and foremost they play football to earn a good living. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Or play in Europe and go to the Prem after. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    They are called professionals for a reason. They don't play football to test themselves against the best. First and foremost they play football to earn a good living. 
    Unless you are a Chief Executive at a FTSE100 company £250k pa (5k per wk) is a "good living". 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Or play in Europe and go to the Prem after. 
    What do you class as playing in Europe...?Playing Champions League football against Barcelona and Real Madrid.......or Europa league football against Dudelange and Qarabag FK.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I'm fairly certain that in Aribo's position last summer, 9 footballers out of 10 would've gone to Rangers on more money rather than stayed with us for (a reported) 12k less a week.

Footballers back their own ability and Rangers are a big club, so most would be thinking, go there, do well, earn decent money, then get a premier league move in 2 years. However it's not really going that way for him so far.

However this is a kid who less than 5 years ago was playing for Staines Town, so i'm sure he's not losing much sleep over it.
  • Options
    What a goal 2-2
  • Options
    Great goal from Aribo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just scored against Braga after coming on as a sub.

I reckon the Rangers fan will be on here at about 10:17pm...
  • Options
    Not from my understanding, most rangers fans seem to think he’s class
  • Options
    Mortimeresque like mazy run and finish 
  • Options
    3-2 to Rangers.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Mental 3-2 up from 0-2 down 
    think it’s Gheorghe Hagis son who’s got the other two goals 
  • Options
    The defending on the Aribo goal was tragic but still a great goal
  • Options
    that's the Aribo we fell in love with
  • Options
    Well done Joe
  • Options
    Living rent free in some Rangers fans heads lol, BT Sport tweet the goal and this is a Rangers fans response