Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    It was clearly offside having seen it again. Player was definitely in the sight of the keeper, Still feel a bit fortunate though. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Here you are James Seed. The offside decision is made when the ball is kicked.
    The ball is just about to go over Naby's shoulder.
    Marquis has already shot & it's 100% clear to me that the offside player is not standing in front of Phillips.
    Also, it's not offside if you are in the keepers sight.
    Most of the stadium is in the keepers sight !
    It's whether he was interfering.
    Whilst close I'd say he wasn't, if it is being judged by the same as all other games in recent years. 

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Funniest moment was the two Donny fans who ran onto the pitch to celebrate their 'winner' - only to get frog marched out of the ground.

Did one Donny fan try to get to the Charlton fans after the disallowed goal?
  • Options
    Definitely offside.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Here you are James Seed. The offside decision is made when the ball is kicked.
    The ball is just about to go over Naby's shoulder.
    Marquis has already shot & it's 100% clear to me that the offside player is not standing in front of Phillips.
    Also, it's not offside if you are in the keepers sight.
    Most of the stadium is in the keepers sight !
    It's whether he was interfering.
    Whilst close I'd say he wasn't, if it is being judged by the same as all other games in recent years. 

While not right in front of him, he’s not in his peripheral vision, but reasonably central. 
    If I was the keeper I’d be aware he was there at least, and I’d be worried he might get his head to the ball. That by the letter of the law makes it offside, although I’m sure they’re sometimes or even often not given. 

I’m no expert though :-)
  • Options
    The ball is travelling in his direction. He can't not be not in the keepers vision. He is offside when the kick is taken, but being in the vison can be any point before it goes in. Maybe if the ball went bottom corner to keepers right there could be a decent argument it should have stood. A good spot by the ref's assistant.
  • Options
    Regarding the game best we've played in quite a while.
    Roll on the play offs, there's no one I fear in this league and we play better against the better teams.
    I do think though we mess about with the ball to much sometimes.
    Just hope the next 11 games we can play the same sort of line up rather than having to make two or three changes.
  • Options
    We do play some passing football that no other team can play in this league -No other team. But we have weak areas. It was quite interesting watching on a stream yesterday as the play stopped when we were in attacking positions, and it gave time to think what we could do from that position to score a goal and we should have done it but we didn't. There are lots of terrible choices at the moment of truth. 

It feels to me that we are a team that if we score two, we win 90%. That shouldn't be beyond us with the players we have - but we need certain players on the pitch to maximise our chance of doing this. For me that is Fosu, Aribo and Taylor and given the lack of alternatives, Vetokele.  Our chances of success rest to a large extent of getting the most from these players in my opinion. 

I am not saying the other players are not important. But I don't have concerns with these doing their jobs. But their jobs are not getting the goals we need, although they are welcome to chip in with a few.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We do play some passing football that no other team can play in this league -No other team. But we have weak areas. It was quite interesting watching on a stream yesterday as the play stopped when we were in attacking positions, and it gave time to think what we could do from that position to score a goal and we should have done it but we didn't. There are lots of terrible choices at the moment of truth. 

It feels to me that we are a team that if we score two, we win 90%. That shouldn't be beyond us with the players we have - but we need certain players on the pitch to maximise our chance of doing this. For me that is Fosu, Aribo and Taylor and given the lack of alternatives, Vetokele.  Our chances of success rest to a large extent of getting the most from these players in my opinion. 

I am not saying the other players are not important. But I don't have concerns with these doing their jobs. But their jobs are not getting the goals we need, although they are welcome to chip in with a few.
    I think Parker will score more than Vetokele at the moment.

If Vetokele gets really fit that may change.
  • Options
    Our biggest problem is our centre midfielders would be good in a 433 but we don’t have the wingers. We are playing a diamond full of decent CMs who lack creativity in the final third. Someone like Oztumer would have been perfect oldyong at the top of the diamond. Taylor and Grants partnership hid the fact we lacked attacking midfielders but now it’s being highlighted. 

Our only hope IMO is getting to the play offs defending brilliantly and scraping through. We are capable of that but it’s going to be a tough ask. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    a point towards cementing a playoff position, think we will beat Pompey Saturday, was a long shot for autos but that draw pretty much confirms we will be going up if any via playoffs - which for us as fans would obviously be better. 

from what ive read sounded like they should of won the game, so will defo take it. 
  • Options
    I think you take the game as a whole, with us being the away side, we definitely deserved a draw at least. Had the game ended after we had scored, it would have been a richly deserved victory. It is just we decided to take off one of our strikers and they had to chase the game. The last twenty minutes was pretty bad from our perspective.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Reckon the shot was definitely on target but to be honest it was a header from Marquis rather than deflecting off him
  • Options
    I haven't posted on here much regarding our recent performances and results, but Saturday we seemed to create chance after chance which we really ought to have scored at least three, the good thing is we kept getting into those positions and creating those chances. The worrying thing is that we didn't put them away and have only scored more than one goal once in our last 7 and failed to score in 3 of those. Our defence is solid enough, conceding 35 in 35 is pretty good going in this division, but it shows that without that partnership up top, we could struggle where it really counts.

What we have proven this season is when we are good, we are very good and able to match and beat any side in this division. But when we aren't firing and are beginning to struggle, we really do struggle.

It's been said many times, but Bows always said about getting through August and we got 5 points from those 5 games, scoring 4 and conceding 5.

Now since we last saw the partnership of Taylor and Grant, which is when we have started to struggle again, we have played 6 and picked up 7 points, scoring 4 and conceding 4.

That's 11 games where we have picked up 12 points, scoring 8 and conceding 9. I think it is this period we are in now and the start of the season that could potentially cost us getting promoted.

If you take out those 11 games and look at the period where we have been very good, 24 games this season we have picked up 48 points, scoring 43 goals, conceding 26. Automatic promotion form.

The biggest difference for me is goals scored. Goals win games and that is the difference, an average of around 1.8 goals per game when we have been very good, in comparison to 0.73 goals per game when you look at those 11 games in isolation. Losing Grant is a far bigger issue than so many believed it would be, not only shown in the stats for results and goals, but shown in performances and our ability to get in behind the opposition. It is not a surprise that Taylor has failed to score since Grant's departure.

We must learn to be more ruthless and capitalise on our momentum when we are on top in games, just like we should've done against Doncaster on Saturday. If we manage to do that, we have enough quality within the squad to go all the way. It's crunch time now, 11 games to go, we can't afford to have another set of results like those 11 games I have spoken about in isolation. 
  • Options
    The ball is travelling in his direction. He can't not be not in the keepers vision. He is offside when the kick is taken, but being in the vison can be any point before it goes in. Maybe if the ball went bottom corner to keepers right there could be a decent argument it should have stood. A good spot by the ref's assistant.
    To quote Lord Brian Clough (RIP), on the 'not interfering with play while in an ostensibly offside position' ..  'if any of my players aren't interfering with play, what are they doing on the pitch ?' UNQUOTE
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Marquis took the goal superbly, without his intervention, I am sure the shot would have gone wide .. however, it'd be nice for Josh if he were to be awarded the goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our biggest problem is our centre midfielders would be good in a 433 but we don’t have the wingers. We are playing a diamond full of decent CMs who lack creativity in the final third. Someone like Oztumer would have been perfect oldyong at the top of the diamond. Taylor and Grants partnership hid the fact we lacked attacking midfielders but now it’s being highlighted. 

Our only hope IMO is getting to the play offs defending brilliantly and scraping through. We are capable of that but it’s going to be a tough ask. 

Agreed, we can 'scrape through.' But to get promotion we will actually have to score more than the opposition over two legs of a semi-final followed by a Wembley final. And what can't we do at the minute? Yup, score goals.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Agreed, we can 'scrape through.' But to get promotion we will actually have to score more than the opposition over two legs of a semi-final followed by a Wembley final. And what can't we do at the minute? Yup, score goals.
    Agree completely, to win the play offs I doubt we could concede more than 2 goals in the 3 matches. 
  • Options
    addick05 said:

We've not let many in either over the past 10 games
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    addick05 said:

Huddersfield didn't score any goals in open play during their play off games. It can be done  :D  
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    addick05 said:

Last 10 games, scored 11 conceded 6
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    clb74 said:
    addick05 said:

In theory good stats for when (when notice NOT if) we are in the play offs .. the problem of course will be if/when we go behind and are forced to play catch up .. 
    our recent cup record is appalling and the p/os  are essentially a series of cup finals .. A t m two of our potential rivals have goals conceded records almost as good as ours, (Sunderland's is better as is Barnsley's) and much better goals scored records ..  at the moment (still a way to go of course) all have better goal differences. 
    Cliché time .. the best form of defence is attack .. our management and coaching staff need to find a way to vastly improve our goal scoring potential .. encouraging the midfielders to shoot at goal would be a start .. otherwise, like last year, we could fall at the play off hurdles and that would sting like a 2 ton bee
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table

• Options
    edited March 2019
    clb74 said:
    addick05 said:

In theory good stats for when (when notice NOT if) we are in the play offs .. the problem of course will be if/when we go behind and are forced to play catch up .. 
    our recent cup record is appalling and the p/os  are essentially a series of cup finals .. A t m two of our potential rivals have goals conceded records almost as good as ours, (Sunderland's is better as is Barnsley's) and much better goals scored records ..  at the moment (still a way to go of course) all have better goal differences. 
    Cliché time .. the best form of defence is attack .. our management and coaching staff need to find a way to vastly improve our goal scoring potential .. encouraging the midfielders to shoot at goal would be a start .. otherwise, like last year, we could fall at the play off hurdles and that would sting like a 2 ton bee

Totally agree that we have to improve our goal scoring stats but the solution isn't asking people to shoot when they don't have shots in them. We do miss that deadlock breaking type player like Holmes was for us, who could ping one in from outside the box every now and then. What Bowyer has to do, seeing as we don't have that sort of player, is categorise players as scorers and missers and increase the ratio of scorers in the side. That doesn't mean prolific, but players who may get you a goal as opposed to they almost certainly won't.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    addick05 said:

Totally agree that we have to improve our goal scoring stats but the solution isn't asking people to shoot when they don't have shots in them. We do miss that deadlock breaking type player like Holmes was for us, who could ping one in from outside the box every now and then. What Bowyer has to do, seeing as we don't have that sort of player, is categorise players as scorers and missers and increase the ratio of scorers in the side. That doesn't mean prolific, but players who may get you a goal as opposed to they almost certainly won't.
    Bielik has a great shot on him, and seems happy to have a pop. 
    More like him please. 
  • Options
    Kevin Nolan's match report

The January transfer window departure of Karlan Grant, off to spin his wheels with doomed Huddersfield, may come back to haunt Bowyer. Not owner Roland Duchatelet, of course, who couldn’t care less.

Those are concerns for the long run. In the short term, this “six-pointer” shared out an inconclusive point apiece between these play-offs hopefuls, a result more to the liking of Bowyer than the frustrated McCann. It’s been a marathon. Now it’s a sprint.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-need-goals-to-start-flowing-from-attackers-to-really-boost-promotion-hopes/