Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    Heard more shenanigans were had with the 20 somethings unable to hold their beer ruining it for families at the Oval last night. Even a fight at the tube station.

Is this happening at T20 now? I haven’t been since I moved to Eire but I was a regular at the Oval for all forms before & never saw it 🤷‍♀️
    The double header women and men’s matches mean twice as much drinking time...
    Are these types actually attending both? 
    Get there early, and use the women's match mainly as a drinking session?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Get there at 6.30 after work as we did and only have time for 2 pints before the bar shut 30 balls into the chase was very frustrating (at 8). I’d say almost encouraging binge drinking. Not their fault we couldn’t get there from work till 6ish of course. 

A test match gate opens at 9 and serves till 6 even if play goes on till 7ish but likelihood is people will get there earlier than tea. 

Unfortunately there are idiots that can’t control themselves after a few pints and spoil it for the rest of the fans in all forms.  
  • Options
    Rashid Khan is a great cricketer.  To perform at such an exceptionally high standard while his country is being devastated and abandoned is remarkable.  

Plus, it's great to see a cricketer play the game with a smile on his face. 
  • Options
    Coming back here from the Kent thread , was trying to remember who was originally drafted and then pulled out? Warner , Starc,Maxwell,Marcus Stoinis , Andre Russell was all I could think off the top of my head. 

With the redraft it will be interesting to see who becomes available for next year. Don't think we'll ever see the Indians play as the BCCI don't like devaluing the IPL. 
  • Options
    What a rubbish cricket day yesterday was 😫😫

Ah well, going to get behind the Brave woman & the Phoenix men now 🤷‍♀️🤩🤩
  • Options
    All Brave aren't we?! Hoping the superchargers do the business tonight so we are straight into the final
  • Options
    All Brave aren't we?! Hoping the superchargers do the business tonight so we are straight into the final
    Women yes, men? Just can’t do it even with wee Stirling.
    Got famo in Brum, so that’s my excuse 😜
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Is it just me? I follow cricket intensely and watch a lot of games live, but I haven't the foggiest who is top / bottom of The Hundred or which players have starred. 

If The Hundred is a success and it's what the majority want, I guess the T20 Blast has to go or become the 2nd XI tournament like the RLODC has become.
  • Options
    Women yes, men? Just can’t do it even with wee Stirling.
    Got famo in Brum, so that’s my excuse 😜
    Brum are easily my second favourite side in the tournament, mainly for Livingstone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find franchise cricket an easy watch , I've not got a team to care about (even if the Southern Brave is the Sussex bowling attack , they're a Hampshire team) 

The problem I've had recently especially with the BBL is that it's got way too long, I get it's the cash cow but CA have just constantly added games and gimmicks to it. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The ECB I think will add one more, maybe 2 at a push teams to the Hundred, there needs to be a SW team probably at Bristol (which will get the capacity up to 15,000 easily, or maybe Taunton as for example it has better floodlights) and then maybe a team at Durham, but no more then 10 teams and you add a few more games to the mix. 
  • Options
    Is it just me? I follow cricket intensely and watch a lot of games live, but I haven't the foggiest who is top / bottom of The Hundred or which players have starred. 

If The Hundred is a success and it's what the majority want, I guess the T20 Blast has to go or become the 2nd XI tournament like the RLODC has become.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/the-hundred-men/table 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/the-hundred-women/table 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57975357 

• Options
    I thought the Invincibles women team were out?
    Woooo hooo! Thanks for posting the tables, I thought they both got kick out yesterday, seems it’s only the geezers.

Must pay more attention lol
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I find franchise cricket an easy watch , I've not got a team to care about (even if the Southern Brave is the Sussex bowling attack , they're a Hampshire team) 

The problem I've had recently especially with the BBL is that it's got way too long, I get it's the cash cow but CA have just constantly added games and gimmicks to it. 
    Completely agree about the length of the tournaments, the hundred is a much more sensible timeframe
  • Options
    Phoenix have bowled sensationally tonight. Superchargers hit 65 off the first 25 balls, so on for 250 at that rate. Phoenix pulled it back brilliantly, restricting them to 143 (so just 78 off the remaining 75 balls)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    A sign of how the 100 has screwed the 50 over competition, is that the semis were on Monday and Tuesday, and the final this Thursday!

The ECB couldn't have made it clearer how little they care for it. Two days notice for Durham fans wanting to go
  • Options
    A sign of how the 100 has screwed the 50 over competition, is that the semis were on Monday and Tuesday, and the final this Thursday!

The ECB couldn't have made it clearer how little they care for it. Two days notice for Durham fans wanting to go
    Says it all.
  • Options
    Here we go for the wooden spoon contest. Spirit off to a good start. Reckon they'll beat the Fire and climb off the bottom.

Shame about the Surrey Incognitos though (snigger, snigger!)

• Options

Then that is the first nail in the coffin of County Cricket.  Sad..  I don't see how one can have an alliance with made up teams with soppy names.  Especially in Kent or Sussex etc. Poke it.
    Some people may be able to have an allegiance to more than one team, given that county teams and Hundred franchises are mutually exclusive.  One can easily cheer for Kent and the Invincibles.  Or Middlesex and London Spirit.  

And, as the hundred takes up just a few weeks in the middle of the season, it's easy to imagine some of the thousands of new cricket fans that have seen cricket for the first time by attending Hundred games will go on to give their allegiance to county sides.  And they may well stick with them if they're served up with exciting, engaging, accessible cricket.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It has been a very enjoyable watch and the crowds seem to love it.

I know the calendar is crowded, but couldn't it be accommodated so that other tournnaments aren't affected. 
  • Options

I know the calendar is crowded, but couldn't it be accommodated so that other tournnaments aren't affected. 
    How about the comp takes place in April/May when currently, counties start their 4 day matches & the hardiest of supporters wrap themselves in blankets, drink hot bovril & shiver their way through the days' play ? 

Even fielding sides wear 2 sweaters and snoods  at times ! 

Then we'd see just how supportive REAL cricket lovers are .....:-)
  • Options

How about the comp takes place in April/May when currently, counties start their 4 day matches & the hardiest of supporters wrap themselves in blankets, drink hot bovril & shiver their way through the days' play ? 

The Hundred is perfectly suited to the time of year in which it's currently scheduled.  The warmest days, with the most likelihood of cricket still being possible into the dark evenings.  And, crucially, during the school summer holidays, and outside the times when other world franchise tournaments are played. 

That's why the Hundred is well scheduled: the biggest cricket matches outside Tests played when the most people can enjoy watching the best players. 
  • Options
    It’s hard to argue that the Hundred has been a bad thing. There’s been full crowds, exciting matches, some of the worlds best players and plenty of families taking advantage of the scheduling to bring kids along and get them into cricket. With the way cricket is going these days (around the world, not just here), the UK needed a white ball competition to rival the IPL, the BBL etc and the T20 Blast was never going to be it with so many games - that just doesn’t work for these big global tournaments and won’t attract the biggest names regularly. The Hundred, whilst not ideal having to create a new format, can be that global tournament we need. 

Yes there remains a problem with what happens to the Royal London Cup, and the ECB need to sort out what will happen next year. The schedule will be different as the women have the commonwealth games so will see what happens there. 

Test cricket needs to remain the pinnacle, and our test players need better scheduling to ensure they actually play some red ball cricket. That doesn’t mean we can’t have a popular, global franchised white ball tournament as well though - we just need to get the scheduling right. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The Hundred is perfectly suited to the time of year in which it's currently scheduled.  The warmest days, with the most likelihood of cricket still being possible into the dark evenings.  And, crucially, during the school summer holidays, and outside the times when other world franchise tournaments are played. 

That's why the Hundred is well scheduled: the biggest cricket matches outside Tests played when the most people can enjoy watching the best players. 
    Of course ! Why would I expect your post & the likes of 2 of the Hundred's most ardent fans, regardless of whether they've actually attended a match to be anything less ! 

Why would it be played at a less suitable time for families & those who love to have one too many beers ? 

Let's just play white ball cricket ALL the time & preferably with those "stars" that everyone wants to watch ( even though most attendees will have no idea who they are except their names are up in lights ) if their other Franchise type commitments allow them to play. 

Let's see what kind of comments appear on the Ashes thread when we're barely able to field a competitive team. 

Red ball cricket ? 

Only for the wrinklies of course & those who expect sport to be just that, without gimmicks & door to door advertising for the kind of products children shouldn't be over indulging in ! Couldn't make it up really....
    The best players in the England team in the current Test series v India have been those who also played the Hundred, with Sam Curran being (pretty much) the sole exception. 

The worst players have generally been those not involved in the Hundred, like Sibley, Burns, etc. 

The idea England's Test team will improve if we play fewer of the shortest-format games makes no sense. Do New Zealand cricketers play T20 cricket? Are the IPL and BBL continuing? Why should we imagine that England's players are so exceptionally distracted and fragile that they can't play a few short-format games, like the world's best Test teams? Couldn't make it up really. 

As far as the Ashes thread is concerned, I'll make a prediction. At the start of the series, there will be several people bemoaning the amount of white ball cricket England plays. And, by the end, no-one will be mentioning that the Ashes have been won by a country with an abundance of short-format, white ball cricket. 
  • Options
    I would highly doubt I would take my lad to a 7pm start in April/May, during term time to the Oval, with the accepted risk of the weather being shit and cold. 

I would happily take him to a double header on a warm late afternoon/evening, when it doesn’t really matter if we get home at midnight from Vauxhall, and there is no knock on to his school day in August.

We won’t be able to field a team for the Ashes for reasons not relating to the Hundred.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Of course ! Why would I expect your post & the likes of 2 of the Hundred's most ardent fans, regardless of whether they've actually attended a match to be anything less ! 

Why would it be played at a less suitable time for families & those who love to have one too many beers ? 

Let's just play white ball cricket ALL the time & preferably with those "stars" that everyone wants to watch ( even though most attendees will have no idea who they are except their names are up in lights ) if their other Franchise type commitments allow them to play. 

Let's see what kind of comments appear on the Ashes thread when we're barely able to field a competitive team. 

Red ball cricket ? 

Only for the wrinklies of course & those who expect sport to be just that, without gimmicks & door to door advertising for the kind of products children shouldn't be over indulging in ! Couldn't make it up really....
    The best players in the England team in the current Test series v India have been those who also played the Hundred, with Sam Curran being (pretty much) the sole exception. 

The worst players have generally been those not involved in the Hundred, like Sibley, Burns, etc. 

The idea England's Test team will improve if we play fewer of the shortest-format games makes no sense. Do New Zealand cricketers play T20 cricket? Are the IPL and BBL continuing? Why should we imagine that England's players are so exceptionally distracted and fragile that they can't play a few short-format games, like the world's best Test teams? Couldn't make it up really. 

As far as the Ashes thread is concerned, I'll make a prediction. At the start of the series, there will be several people bemoaning the amount of white ball cricket England plays. And, by the end, no-one will be mentioning that the Ashes have been won by a country with an abundance of short-format, white ball cricket. 
    You aren't comparing like against like -  Australians do play an abundance of white ball cricket in Australia but they also all regularly play in the Sheffield Shield  - the likes of Warner, Smith, Harris (also played here for Leics), Labushagne (also played for Glamorgan), Starc, Green, Paine, Lyon, Head (also played for Sussex), Wade etc etc all did so. Some of our centrally contracted players might have turned out once or twice this season but a lot of them don't see a red ball 'til they meet up for the first time with England. Equally, the Aussie batsmen aren't forced to play in the Sheffield Shield when conditions are a seamers' paradise on pitches where a 45 year old bowling at 69 mph is King.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Red ball cricket ? 

You aren't comparing like against like -  Australians do play an abundance of white ball cricket in Australia but they also all regularly play in the Sheffield Shield  - the likes of Warner, Smith, Harris (also played here for Leics), Labushagne (also played for Glamorgan), Starc, Green, Paine, Lyon, Head (also played for Sussex), Wade etc etc all did so. Some of our centrally contracted players might have turned out once or twice this season but a lot of them don't see a red ball 'til they meet up for the first time with England. Equally, the Aussie batsmen aren't forced to play in the Sheffield Shield when conditions are a seamers' paradise on pitches where a 45 year old bowling at 69 mph is King.

Thank you for returning my point. The best Test teams will always be the countries with the highest-standard white-ball cricket for their players to play in. The money it generates talks.