Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Problems with our midfield.

Poor final ball.
Poor set piece delivery.
Poor decision making.
Failing to provide defensive cover.

What else is there?

Comments

• Options
    People where saying we had the best midfield in the league a month ago.

Our problem is more up front if you ask me. Taylor will be suspended again soon. We need a striker in quick if we want to stay in the playoffs.
  • Options
    People where saying we had the best midfield in the league a month ago.

Our problem is more up front if you ask me. Taylor will be suspended again soon. We need a striker in quick if we want to stay in the playoffs.
    Our midfield has been utter cack in the last two games.
  • Options
    Aribo was head and shoulders above the rest of our midfield today (not saying much though). Once he's fully fit he'll make a big difference. 
  • Options
    basically good players in their own right, but playing together totally unbalanced. Aribo does add some balance and will be all the better for today's game 
  • Options
    Of the midfield that started today Aribo only just came back in, Cullen's only just been back a few games after his shoulder injury, Reeves has been in and out and also had injuries and Williams hasn't played much before joining us.

It's no wonder the midfield today was absent when there's hardly been any regular consistent match time played between any of them for a significant period of time.
  • Options
    Aribo, Cullen/Bielik, Lapslie, Morgan.

Better than Reeves and have more impact than Williams.
  • Options
    Maybe the shape isn’t right and playing Williams and Reeves in the same side doesn’t seem to work 
  • Options
    Williams, reeves and Cullen cannot all play together in a midfield 4....for me, Reeves missss out 
  • Options
    Where has Albie Morgan been? I thought he looked tidy when he was playing a few weeks ago. We're definitely missing something in midfield. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    Where has Albie Morgan been? I thought he looked tidy when he was playing a few weeks ago. We're definitely missing something in midfield. 
    He was sitting in crossbars 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    He's out injured at the moment
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Injured at the moment.

Pratley is a bit unlucky to miss out at the moment, at least he gives some physical presence and picked up a couple of goals fairly recently
  • Options
    Hopefully as Aribo gets fit he'll knock a few goals in - seems unlikely the rest of our midfield will deliver.

Very disappointed in how few goals Reeves has got.
  • Options
    No width - added to the lack of an attacking full back we don’t stetch the game enough. 

It’s like a Midfield of Karl Robinson making.
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    No width - added to the lack of an attacking full back we don’t stetch the game enough. 

It’s like a Midfield of Karl Robinson making.
    Possession is a waste of time if all you do with it is pass the ball around in the middle of the pitch.
  • Options
    Missing a forward on last shoulder to create space for others. 
  • Options
    Missing a forward on last shoulder to create space for others. 
    But at home with defenders defending deep, there wouldn't be much space behind the defenders anyway
  • Options
    Too narrow 
  • Options
    Poor final ball.
    Poor set piece delivery.
    Poor decision making.
    Failing to provide defensive cover.

What else is there?

Can I add winning the ball? We barely won a challenge in midfield today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe the shape isn’t right and playing Williams and Reeves in the same side doesn’t seem to work 
    This as I've just posted on the post match thread.

I don't think we have the players currently to play anything than 4 across the middle rather than diamond.
  • Options
    Missed Beliek today. Reeves has never been any good since he joined us. Aribo needs to learn to shoot more & not to try too many flicks & tricks although he's the best mover with the ball.  Williams is probably the best passer but he himself said when he signed that he sets other players going & doesn't generally score.....great  !! Cullen should only play when Beliek doesn't.

The sum goals from that 5 all season......10. Pathetic. And none from free kicks. At all. 
  • Options
    Reeves is garbage; that good 20 minutes against Accrington seems a long time ago
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Reeves is garbage; that good 20 minutes against Accrington seems a long time ago
    Think Reeves , Fosu and Marshall probably won’t get new deals. Reeves is too inconsistent 
  • Options
    Type your commentHas anyone seen much of Taylor Maloney? I see he is doing well for the under 23s. Is he ready to step up yet ? 
  • Options
    Moo said:
    Type your commentHas anyone seen much of Taylor Maloney? I see he is doing well for the under 23s. Is he ready to step up yet ? 
    He's been involved in a few Cup games this season yet has looked pretty lightweight and out of his depth

Felt a loan to League Two or the Conference would have benefited him in January rather than playing U23 Football
  • Options
    The best I've seen us play this season has been when our strikers have been splitting and pulling wide which dragged their centre backs out of position and created space for Aribo and Fosu to drive into the box from deep. 

Obviously Karlan's pace was pretty key to playing this way but the other thing that was key was the make up of the midfield. We had Bielik as the physical presence at the base who ran things. We have ONE passer in Reeves then we had Aribo and Fosu who were under instruction to get into the box. 

More recently that make up has changed. We have been playing 3 passers in the diamond none of whom like to drive into the box. Williams at the top of the diamond doesn't work for that reason. This has meant that when the strikers have split there was no one coming through the middle so now they don't bother splitting making us even more narrow as there is no width in this formation. 

I know Fosu has gone off the boil of late and he's been a bit hot and cold this season but when he has been on it we have been excellent. The way he drove down the middle against Gills was brilliant. 

I don't know the way forward as I don't think split strikers will work well without a Pacey striker. 

I would certainly be considering a move to 3 at the back to give us some more width to use that as a way to get balls in to the strikers and allow us to fit in another passing midfielder. Certainly our pattern of play needs to adapt to the players we have available.
  • Options
    The best I've seen us play this season has been when our strikers have been splitting and pulling wide which dragged their centre backs out of position and created space for Aribo and Fosu to drive into the box from deep. 

Obviously Karlan's pace was pretty key to playing this way but the other thing that was key was the make up of the midfield. We had Bielik as the physical presence at the base who ran things. We have ONE passer in Reeves then we had Aribo and Fosu who were under instruction to get into the box. 

More recently that make up has changed. We have been playing 3 passers in the diamond none of whom like to drive into the box. Williams at the top of the diamond doesn't work for that reason. This has meant that when the strikers have split there was no one coming through the middle so now they don't bother splitting making us even more narrow as there is no width in this formation. 

I know Fosu has gone off the boil of late and he's been a bit hot and cold this season but when he has been on it we have been excellent. The way he drove down the middle against Gills was brilliant. 

I don't know the way forward as I don't think split strikers will work well without a Pacey striker. 

I would certainly be considering a move to 3 at the back to give us some more width to use that as a way to get balls in to the strikers and allow us to fit in another passing midfielder. Certainly our pattern of play needs to adapt to the players we have available.
    Good summary. Agree 100% with this.....and still think Fosu can play a big part for us this season.
  • Options

Good summary. Agree 100% with this.....and still think Fosu can play a big part for us this season.
    I agree but I don’t think LB does. I think yesterday proved that he’s lost patience with Fosu and I’d be surprised to see much more of him tbh. 
  • Options
    Need Pratley to come back in for next Saturday's game at AFCW. They will be physical and Reeves will be far too lightweight.