Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Chase-ITV [Paddy versus The BEAST! - Match Thread]

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    in the 90’s I was on standby for Going for Gold

One Saturday I popped out for 15 minutes and my house mate had taken a call from production team to see if I could go up to Manchester on the Monday to replace someone who pulled out. By the time I got back  in Touch they had filled the space. 

I also didn’t make it to the auditions for 100 percent  on channel five as had a hangover. 
    Used to love watching Going for Gold, had a great theme tune - Was probably the first Quiz show I got into

That and Strike It Lucky, my Mum wrote to ITV complaining when they moved the show to later in the evening and after my bedtime
  • Options
    It sounds like it's impossible getting on The Chase, so why do they sometimes get such dim people on there? Case in point, a young girl had this question: 'Which of these was the lead singer in The Commodores? Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie or Marvin Gaye?' Her reply? 'I've never heard of any of them.' 

George Formby was before I time, but I know who he is.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    i enjoy beat the chasers, and as long as you keep your head, think the odds are slightly more in your favour. I also think having all of the chasers on that actually puts the contestant at an advantage, as one or two will second guess themselves thinking the others know more. There's also the time it takes for them to buzz in and then answer (something that swings the favour to the house in the final chase of the vanilla show imo) adds more advantage to the contestant. 
  • Options
    Probably dont care how stupid some are, the Producers probably just think they'll look great making an idiot of themselves as its a few cheap laughs
  • Options
    Todays episode on ITV is listed as Season 14 Episode 72 so it appears you are around 10 weeks behind.
    It does vary depending on country, and I think the series have overlapped in the past sometimes. I'm not sure what episode number it is, but I've found that tonight's is listed as S14E55 by both Sky and on the "The Chase" subreddit - TV Guide says ep 72 but I think that's wrong.

They're also not sequential (e.g. this week is episodes 52, 55, 57 and 58, nothing on Wednesday due to Biden's inauguration).
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    hawksmoor said:
    It sounds like it's impossible getting on The Chase, so why do they sometimes get such dim people on there? Case in point, a young girl had this question: 'Which of these was the lead singer in The Commodores? Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie or Marvin Gaye?' Her reply? 'I've never heard of any of them.' 

My observed bitterness says it is because:

1. She's a looker and/or

2. She's incredibly 'quirky' and/or

3. They like adding in some people who, clearly, are highly likely to fail but have something about them.

The bottom line is that you need to try and stand out in your written application and hope that they find you (or your picture) interesting enough to warrant a Casting Researcher to want to interview you over the telephone. Even if you don't do amazingly at the interview quiz, your personality can get you to the face to face audition stage. It's there that you find your 'funny' story to be nothing compared to what the others offer up. Definitely an eye opener though.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

One Saturday I popped out for 15 minutes and my house mate had taken a call from production team to see if I could go up to Manchester on the Monday to replace someone who pulled out. By the time I got back  in Touch they had filled the space. 

I also didn’t make it to the auditions for 100 percent  on channel five as had a hangover. 
    'What am I' 

one of those quiz shows I watched, but never really understood the rules....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I swear though Paddy, if you pass on a question you can easily have a guess at such as "in which UK country is" or "In which century..." you are dead to me !
    I'm absolutely certain there are a few questions where I look like an idiot! I can definitely remember a couple of shockers anyway...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably dont care how stupid some are, the Producers probably just think they'll look great making an idiot of themselves as its a few cheap laughs
    These programmes are entertainment shows and not just quiz shows. The producers want people who are outgoing, interesting etc. not clever people who will do well and answer lots of questions. 
  • Options
    good thread.  My mate was on the chase, but he didn't win.  I think it's very tough.  The knowledge of the chasers is ridiculous.  I think you do need a good bank of general knowledge to win it, plus it's luck of the draw who is on your team,  I've seen some decent totals in the cash builder, but teams fall apart in the final round.  

I think University Challenge is probably the ultimate quiz show for hard questions.
  • Options
    i enjoy beat the chasers, and as long as you keep your head, think the odds are slightly more in your favour. I also think having all of the chasers on that actually puts the contestant at an advantage, as one or two will second guess themselves thinking the others know more. There's also the time it takes for them to buzz in and then answer (something that swings the favour to the house in the final chase of the vanilla show imo) adds more advantage to the contestant. 
    A bloke I used to work with was on Beat the Chasers a couple of weeks ago and won £40k.

He certainly kept his composure, but insists a lot of it was down to luck!
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    good thread.  My mate was on the chase, but he didn't win.  I think it's very tough.  The knowledge of the chasers is ridiculous.  I think you do need a good bank of general knowledge to win it, plus it's luck of the draw who is on your team,  I've seen some decent totals in the cash builder, but teams fall apart in the final round.  

I think University Challenge is probably the ultimate quiz show for hard questions.
    Only Connect thumps that.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Never seen it.  Will look out for it 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Seen this a few times and still barely have a clue what is going on half the time or how the contestants get to the answers.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Exactly.
    'The answer you were looking for was Jesus.'
    'No. Wouldn't have known that. Before my time.'
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

It's on usually before UC.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I'll never know how David Mitchell bagged her, i really don't.
    Patrick Kielty & Kat Deeley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

It's on usually before UC.
    The host is really annoying. Can't stand her... Yet find her strangely attractive, strange given how much I dislike her personality shown in the show. 

I just can't put my finger on what it is... 

Victoria Coren Mitchell Only Connect GIF - VictoriaCorenMitchell OnlyConnect  - Discover  Share GIFs
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    These programmes are entertainment shows and not just quiz shows. The producers want people who are outgoing, interesting etc. not clever people who will do well and answer lots of questions. 
    That’s one of the reasons i never got in to that Eggheads show, as the quiz ‘professionals’ were rather dull and too focused on the questions and looking as smart as possible. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Ah, Going for Gold. A quiz show built on the premise that we compete against foreigners in their non-native language in the hope that we win. We rarely did.
  • Options
    "the heat is on, the time is right. It's time for you, for you to play your game...……………………"
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    cabbles said:

Have you watched only connect?
    Fk me that's ridiculous. 

If I get 4pts the whole programme I'm over the moon.

Edit, should have read the whole thread
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Used to love watching Going for Gold, had a great theme tune - Was probably the first Quiz show I got into

That and Strike It Lucky, my Mum wrote to ITV complaining when they moved the show to later in the evening and after my bedtime
    Hans Zimmer wrote the going for gold theme tune; probably his best work 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Hans Zimmer wrote the going for gold theme tune; probably his best work 
    Wow I didnt realise that!!... Bloke is up there with John Williams for me!!