Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ice Hockey - UK

13»

Comments

• Options
    Really hard one to prove I'd have thought.
    After this length of time, probably be seen as grounds for concern.  I think it will come down as insufficient evidence.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I'm not surprised after watching the incident and I assume the legal defence will have to find a reason why his leg was raised so high?
    A shocking sickening way to lose a life playing Sport.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Really hard one to prove I'd have thought.
    I think I would have agreed with you if I hadn't seen the video. 
    I've seen it, and I've got my own opinion.

However, skating round at 15, 20 mph on a slippery surface etc, sure the defence would point to the guy slipping as a reasonable possibility, and all they need would be reasonable doubt.
    ?He's been charged, therefore I assume the CPS think there's at least a fifty percent chance of conviction.  It should be taken as read that everyone knew the ice would be slippery, so that couldn't be presented as a defence. All the prosecution would have to do is to show that an existing duty of care which it is reasonably foreseeable gives rise to a serious and obvious risk of death and does, in fact, cause death in circumstances where, having regard to the risk of death, the conduct of the defendant was so bad in all the circumstances as to amount to a criminal act or omission.  

I won't comment any more on this case as it's live. But I will say there's a massive difference between the case of Phillip Hughes losing his life due to a cricket ball delivered "legally" by Sean Abbott and what looked like an assault on Adam Johnson. And, I hope the police investigation is as thorough as it could be and that the court case takes place quickly and fairly. 
    Has he been charged? Can only find reports he's been arrested. I'll be amazed if he does get charged. 
  • Options
    He hasn't been charged. He's been arrested and is in custody.
  • Options
    That's all I could find, although  @Chizz said he'd been.
  • Options
    I struggle with this one as to me it looks like he goes arse over tit after trying to body check another guy. 

I suppose that's why it's down to experts and not me, someone who knows nothing about ice hockey!

A real tragedy though.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    That's all I could find, although  @Chizz said he'd been.
    I think he hasn't been charged, although I'm sure there was a report on the radio that said he had been. As far as I can see, it's still being investigated. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I struggle with this one as to me it looks like he goes arse over tit after trying to body check another guy. 

I suppose that's why it's down to experts and not me, someone who knows nothing about ice hockey!

A real tragedy though.
    There's no room for "expert opinion" here - we already have our crack team of legal minds on the case! 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Huskaris said:

A real tragedy though.
    There's no room for "expert opinion" here - we already have our crack team of legal minds on the case! 
    Quite

Thread:  I’m a criminologist with 16 years experience researching violence in sport, specifically in ice hockey (PhD, 2016). 
    I understand the confusion that a lot of hockey players and fans are experiencing at the moment. I teach modules on sports criminology & on homicide…

2.   While it is not necessary, it is common practice that a person whose actions lead to an unexpected death may be arrested in order for information to be gathered about an event and potentially for restrictions to be put in place (including residing in the country)…

3.  …while investigations are carried out. 
    As with all unexpected deaths, this matter has been passed to the coroner who will fully investigate the case and pass judgement on evidence….

4/4
    This process can take months or even years to fully investigate. 
    Importantly. An arrest does not equal guilt.  Even a criminal charge does not equal guilt. 
    We need to let the legal system run its course and avoid speculating on sensationalised accounts.