Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ice Hockey - UK

Comments

• Options
    Ice hockey is a fantastic sport - the closest North Americans have got to forming a great sport. But I agree with the consensus here that the little British ice hockey I’ve seen is an embarrassing standard. 
    The national side have improved though. We managed to last 3 years at the elite level until relegation this year.

We host the Division 1A tournament in Nottingham next year as we hope to bounce back up at the 1st attempt.
  • Options
    Been thinking about taking my 7yr old to see the ice hockey at Alexandra Palace for a while, but just haven't got round to it. Have literally no idea what to expect or if it'll be entertaining or not? Is pretty cheap, so worth a punt doing something different on a Saturday night I guess. Anyone been there before?
  • Options
    where did you go @McBobbin ?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Chelmsford chieftains. Walking distance! I've no idea what "Chieftains" has to do with Chelmsford btw.
  • Options
    Give me garbage standard hockey within a proper league pyramid over the Franchise nonsense in the USA
  • Options
    Give me garbage standard hockey within a proper league pyramid over the Franchise nonsense in the USA
    Our league is kinda franchise. We don’t have promotion to the main league. 
  • Options
    Went Raiders vs Peterborough Phantoms at Romford this evening in the NIHL National division playoffs. 

Really entertaining even if Romford lost 3-4
    £46 quid for two adults and two kids 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    MrOneLung said:

Chelmsford chieftains. Walking distance! I've no idea what "Chieftains" has to do with Chelmsford btw.
    Alliteration! 
  • Options
    I have been to see Chelmsford Chieftains a few times and at a higher level, Belfast Giants. I enjoyed all the games. One thing's for sure you can virtually guarantee a good punch up. Once at Chelmsford, it really went off, so we had the spectacle of the Old Bill being called on to break it up. Off course they could barely stand up let alone intervene. It was hugely entertaining.

Regarding earlier comments about the standard being poor, I would say it doesn't matter unless you are an aficionado.  The teams are fairly equally matched so it's still a good watch.

A good evening's entertainment.
  • Options
    A good evening indeed (though I didn't see any fights). Chelmsford currently have Petr Cech (the real one) as one of their goalies!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two guys who put ice hockey on the map in London Arthur Green and John Rost I knew really well back in my youth. Both of these players built Wembley Lions up and John helped Streatham Red Skins become a force .

Both players are in the British ice hockey hall of fame.

I haven’t been on a ice ring in years.
  • Options

Nottingham Panthers forward Adam Johnson has died after suffering a serious cut to his neck from a skate during Saturday's Challenge Cup match.

The game against the Sheffield Steelers was stopped in the 35th minute as the 29-year-old American received emergency treatment from paramedics on the ice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/67253892

• Options
    Wow, horrifying way to die.

RIP
  • Options
    Saw the story last night but hoped he'd be OK, horrific incident.

RIP.
  • Options
    clive said:

Nottingham Panthers forward Adam Johnson has died after suffering a serious cut to his neck from a skate during Saturday's Challenge Cup match.

The game against the Sheffield Steelers was stopped in the 35th minute as the 29-year-old American received emergency treatment from paramedics on the ice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/67253892

very very rare occurrence .. a great shock and this will put a real blot on the sport .. R I P Adam Johnson
  • Options
    Only saw it declared a major medical incident last night , this is absolutely horrible news.

RIP
  • Options
    Saw the video on twitter earlier, the worst sports injury i've ever seen, absolutely horrific.

If you're the opposition player who injured him i've no idea how you even get over that.
  • Options
    RIP to Adam Johnson.

A shocking thing to happen on the ice and traumatic for both teams(and spectators) especially his team mates. Only 29 years old and really feel for his family.

Death playing sport is always sickening and 25 year old  Aussie test batsman Philip Hughes dying 9 years ago after being struck on the head remains a rare but shocking event.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Just seen this on the BBC. Terrible injury. I know ice hockey is a very physical sport, but you just don't expect this sort of thing. But then again, when you think about it, at the speed they are travelling with blades on their feet, it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often really.

RIP.

Edit: Oh Jesus. Just saw the video while reading a report and really wish I hadn't now. That is horrific. I feel sick. What a terrible terrible thing to happen.
  • Options
    I would not be happy if I was a loved one of Adam Johnson.
    The more times I see it........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    It really doesn’t look good at all on the video - but then again I don’t skate. I haven’t a clue what would happen via a collision like the Sheffield player had and resulted in his leg going  into the air.

regardless of what happened in this incident - it does raise the question of the line between deliberately injuring a player in sport and GBH. 

What’s the difference? Just because it happens on a sports field doesn’t mean it should be treated differently.

Muscat is the obvious one. Guy should be in jail.
  • Options
    I played a lot of Roller Hockey back in the 80's and tried for a while Ice Hockey for the then Streatham Redskins, it'a a very physical sport and I'd say back then was worse, it was common place to see real aggression and attempt to hurt.

No idea of the guys intentions, but all I will say is it's not uncommon to see trips and falls like that. More than once I had a skate to the helmet in a challenge/fall.

RIP to the chap who died and I sincerely hope it was a pure fluke accident.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Someone has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter  
  • Options
    A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the death of ice hockey player Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut during a match.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67419951
  • Options
    Really hard one to prove I'd have thought.
  • Options
    I think I would have agreed with you if I hadn't seen the video. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I've seen it, and I've got my own opinion.

However, skating round at 15, 20 mph on a slippery surface etc, sure the defence would point to the guy slipping as a reasonable possibility, and all they need would be reasonable doubt.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Someone has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter  
    I wonder who it is?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

However, skating round at 15, 20 mph on a slippery surface etc, sure the defence would point to the guy slipping as a reasonable possibility, and all they need would be reasonable doubt.
    ?He's been charged, therefore I assume the CPS think there's at least a fifty percent chance of conviction.  It should be taken as read that everyone knew the ice would be slippery, so that couldn't be presented as a defence. All the prosecution would have to do is to show that an existing duty of care which it is reasonably foreseeable gives rise to a serious and obvious risk of death and does, in fact, cause death in circumstances where, having regard to the risk of death, the conduct of the defendant was so bad in all the circumstances as to amount to a criminal act or omission.  

I won't comment any more on this case as it's live. But I will say there's a massive difference between the case of Phillip Hughes losing his life due to a cricket ball delivered "legally" by Sean Abbott and what looked like an assault on Adam Johnson. And, I hope the police investigation is as thorough as it could be and that the court case takes place quickly and fairly. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The more i've watched the video the worse it looks. I've no idea how you can fall like that and yet end with your left leg out and up like that. If you watch it in slow motion right at the end it also looks as though he flicks his foot at him again.

When you factor in that the guy is apparently known the dirtiest player in the league with the highest amount of penalty minutes, it doesn't look good. Obviously not for one second do i think he meant to kill him, but neither do the CPS, hence the charge. To me it looks like he meant to foul/check him, but it's gone horribly wrong.