Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Accrington | Sat 19 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:

Bloody hell, if you excuse the language, I would never have guessed how much support I would get over this. I do enjoy doing the matchday thread, so unless anyone else wants to have a go, I will carry on. Thank you for the support

Goodonya Ross. Welcome back. I’m going to have a drink to celebrate🍺
  • Options

Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley
    Saturday 19th January 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: John Busby

Introduction

Well it’s not been a bad start to 2019 has it!!... It’s certainly a contrast to the end of 2018 which saw back to back defeats on the road and so leave the majority of Addicks fans thinking that the Play-Offs were our best option for promotion. This Saturday will see a return to the Valley after an impressive 3-0 win at Shrewsbury, for the first time in a while our home has become a fortress, and with just one defeat and one draw since October this is a place that teams wont like visiting – Accrington Stanley are next up to visit, lets hope that we can send them home to the Greater Manchester area with their tails between their legs, just like everyone else!!

The Opposition
    Name: Accrington Stanley | Manager: John Coleman
    Ground: Crown Ground

Of course there are no givens in Football and tomorrow will be no different… As mentioned in the match preview for this reverse fixture; Accrington are a side who know how to battle back from adversity…. Yes it’s a line you’d expect on something like the X-Factor yet when you support a side that are in their third existence, the fact they’ve been able to battle back and reach the heights they have done this season is no mean feat.

Naturally its nearly always the case that the size of a clubs budget will determine whether a side is competitive or not yet we all know that’s not always the case, determination and desire play just as big a part and for the first quarter of the season it looked as though Accrington would be the surprise package and so be challenging for the Play-Offs.

Unfortunately for the Stanley, a poor November has seen our opponents drop into mid-table… With still a while to go till the end of the season you’d hope that they wont drop into the relegation spots (especially when you take into account the way they’re ran), yet the loss of Goalkeeper: Connor Ripley, recalled by his parent club and then sold to Preston North End will hurt Accrington, their current inexperienced ‘keeper: Jonny Maxted will certainly need to be at his best to keep out one of the deadliest strike duo in England at present.

Charlton Team News
    The fact that Charlton have remained competitive throughout their injuries is a huge credit to Lee Bowyer and his backroom staff – So impressive it meant that Johnnie Jackson would be on the receiving end of some false rumours which saw him linked with the Luton job… Thankfully those were quashed by Bowyer after Shrewsbury and so we all move on together to continue the sole aim this season… Promotion!!

With the Addicks just three points off second they could find themselves in the automatic spots come 5:10pm tomorrow – They would of course need to overhaul a goal difference of ten goals, yet as we welcome back Josh Cullen and Ben Reeves from injury anything is possible, although both players may need to be consigned to the bench after layoffs, especially with Darren Pratley now returning to some kind of form in recent weeks

Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
    Cullen | Bielik | Pratley
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Lapslie | Reeves | Fosu | Marshall | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
    With form being better at the Valley than it is on the road you’d certainly hope that the hosts can record another three points… With our rivals playing big matches (Luton v Peterborough) this is a chance to close the gap even further; Accrington will enjoy tomorrow as playing at grounds like this will be a reward for their promotion efforts last season, don’t expect them to simply turn up and roll over though, they’ll want to record another famous win themselves!!
    Fosu for Pratley/Cullen
  • Options
    This might be a tougher game than some are thinking, the away game certainly was. Hopefully we can build on recent good form and just sneak this one, 2-1 to Charlton.
  • Options
    Well done Ross1, good decision
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Bloody hell, if you excuse the language, I would never have guessed how much support I would get over this. I do enjoy doing the matchday thread, so unless anyone else wants to have a go, I will carry on. Thank you for the support

Great to hear mate. I only attend home games these days & really look forward to & appreciate your efforts on the match thread.
  • Options
    0-1
  • Options
    So tomorrow we have a potential midfield that comprises Cullen, Reeves and Williams?

Bloody hell. That's not League one at all.
  • Options
    A nervy 2-1 win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Introduction

Well it’s not been a bad start to 2019 has it!!... It’s certainly a contrast to the end of 2018 which saw back to back defeats on the road and so leave the majority of Addicks fans thinking that the Play-Offs were our best option for promotion. This Saturday will see a return to the Valley after an impressive 3-0 win at Shrewsbury, for the first time in a while our home has become a fortress, and with just one defeat and one draw since October this is a place that teams wont like visiting – Accrington Stanley are next up to visit, lets hope that we can send them home to the Greater Manchester area with their tails between their legs, just like everyone else!!

The Opposition

Of course there are no givens in Football and tomorrow will be no different… As mentioned in the match preview for this reverse fixture; Accrington are a side who know how to battle back from adversity…. Yes it’s a line you’d expect on something like the X-Factor yet when you support a side that are in their third existence, the fact they’ve been able to battle back and reach the heights they have done this season is no mean feat.

Naturally its nearly always the case that the size of a clubs budget will determine whether a side is competitive or not yet we all know that’s not always the case, determination and desire play just as big a part and for the first quarter of the season it looked as though Accrington would be the surprise package and so be challenging for the Play-Offs.

Unfortunately for the Stanley, a poor November has seen our opponents drop into mid-table… With still a while to go till the end of the season you’d hope that they wont drop into the relegation spots (especially when you take into account the way they’re ran), yet the loss of Goalkeeper: Connor Ripley, recalled by his parent club and then sold to Preston North End will hurt Accrington, their current inexperienced ‘keeper: Jonny Maxted will certainly need to be at his best to keep out one of the deadliest strike duo in England at present.

Charlton Team News
    The fact that Charlton have remained competitive throughout their injuries is a huge credit to Lee Bowyer and his backroom staff – So impressive it meant that Johnnie Jackson would be on the receiving end of some false rumours which saw him linked with the Luton job… Thankfully those were quashed by Bowyer after Shrewsbury and so we all move on together to continue the sole aim this season… Promotion!!

With the Addicks just three points off second they could find themselves in the automatic spots come 5:10pm tomorrow – They would of course need to overhaul a goal difference of ten goals, yet as we welcome back Josh Cullen and Ben Reeves from injury anything is possible, although both players may need to be consigned to the bench after layoffs, especially with Darren Pratley now returning to some kind of form in recent weeks

Phillips
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Lapslie | Reeves | Fosu | Marshall | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
    With form being better at the Valley than it is on the road you’d certainly hope that the hosts can record another three points… With our rivals playing big matches (Luton v Peterborough) this is a chance to close the gap even further; Accrington will enjoy tomorrow as playing at grounds like this will be a reward for their promotion efforts last season, don’t expect them to simply turn up and roll over though, they’ll want to record another famous win themselves!!
    No Clarke?
  • Options

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Prediction
    No Clarke?
    Just caught up on the Billy Clarke thread. 🙄
  • Options

So tomorrow we have a potential midfield that comprises Cullen, Reeves and Williams?

Bloody hell. That's not League one at all.

And Aribo to come back.

Someone tell Grant!
  • Options

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Prediction
    No Clarke?
    I reckon Cullen will start on the bench given he has been out a while.
  • Options
    Agree Cullen on bench. Not sure if Marshall will make the squad.
  • Options
    At home where we ought to be on the front foot, it might be worth giving Fosu another chance to find his form. It could be a big factor as the season progresses.
  • Options

Agree Cullen on bench. Not sure if Marshall will make the squad.

It’d be a kick in the teeth if he didn’t :-(

I like him coming on as sub. Adds a threat, and can defend too.
  • Options
    The bench is looking pretty strong, when it looked very weak not so long ago.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

My only change to your team FA is, I cannot see (unfortunately) Cullen starting, so as I think Reeves will also be on the bench, I would put Lapslie on instead to start.

Concerning this match, after receiving sarcastic, rude remarks about another article I posted a couple of days ago that I thought some people would find as interesting as I did, I realised, at my age, I do not need this, so have decided not to continue doing the matchday commentary or post any other articles. Sorry for those that rely on it and thanks to all the "likes" I have received in the past. I am sure there will be someone more than capable to do this from now on.

Didn't see anything that happened. Sorry to hear that Ross. Really enjoyed your commentary. Ease don't let the idiot's get to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you are doing a great job @ross1 and those times I can’t be there and don’t have access to a stream I rely on your posts to keep up.

Don’t let anyone get you down.
  • Options

Concerning this match, after receiving sarcastic, rude remarks about another article I posted a couple of days ago that I thought some people would find as interesting as I did, I realised, at my age, I do not need this, so have decided not to continue doing the matchday commentary or post any other articles. Sorry for those that rely on it and thanks to all the "likes" I have received in the past. I am sure there will be someone more than capable to do this from now on.

Whatttttt, is this based on the thread for U17s where are they now?

PS- just checked if its just @golfaddick dont worry he is the resident grump take it with a pinch of salt. Article was interesting but a bit soon for a where are they now, but he could have presented differently...

Ross i love your commentary and also all the little bits you add to this site, information from twitter and updates. Don't let one thread dictate what you would normally do, i am pretty sure there are alot more who value your input on here especially on the matchday thread.

Blimey......some people are sensitive. My bad. Apologies all round to all those who are now going to miss Ross's match thread input.
  • Options
    It’s going to be a “get the job done and onto the next one” kind of game.

Predicting a relatively comfy 2-0 lead with a late Accrington goal to get the nerves jangling. But we hang on and get three points.
  • Options
    Pleased you’ll be staying around Ross..........carry on soldier.
  • Options
    timken said:

accringtom have a very good away record

timken said:

accringtom have a very good away record

They’ve lost 5 of their last 7 away. Only one win
  • Options
    We need to spank a couple of teams to gain some goal difference back on the others.
    That could hurt come the end of the season.
    This looks like on of the tightest promotion races for a few years. Addicks 5-1 Taylor, grant double, Bauer & Bielik pile driver
  • Options
    First home game missed this season. Been lucky all my other work weekends having fallen on aways, gutted to be not going today.

Though I fear a frustrating afternoon and a tougher game many anticipate.

I’m reminding myself what a wise man once told me “never bet on f***ing Charlton”
  • Options
    6-1 to the rip roaring Addicks
  • Options
    Gut says 2 points dropped today but bounce back in front of the travelling hordes next week.
  • Options
    On reflection, 4-0. Grant hat trick and Taylor