Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2019

Time for a new thread.

No indication of new overseas signings from the Club but I suspect that they are monitoring the Matt Henry situation - NZ are very strong in the seam bowling department (Southee, Ferguson, Henry, Boult, Neesham, Kuggelijn, de Grandhomme, Wagner and Bracewell come to mind) and his figures in the recent ODI series against Sri Lanka were a bit disappointing (27.2-0-201-3) albeit that the matches were high scoring affairs.

So, could he miss out on their World Cup squad in which case would that open the door for us?

Comments

• edited January 2019
    As harsh as it sounds, I really hope that he does miss out and we get him for the season. You just know someone like surrey will chuck big money at him and he will end up there, fingers crossed that doesn’t happen!

Would also love to know if the club are planning to get any batsmen in, seeing as we are missing both Denly and billings for the majority of the start to the season.
  • edited January 2019

Good to see that Sam Billings followed up his top scoring 50 in the last match for the Lions with 108* off 104 against India A today.

Well played indeed, Bilbo.

However, don't use up all your runs now, save some for us!
  • Not necessarily good for Kent, but Billings is a good shout to be back in the England World Cup squad
  • Congratulations to Joe Denly - playing for England tomorrow!

Woohoo !!!!

Show 'em what you're made of, Joe !
  • Great news , cumon Joe !!
  • Replacing Jennings, so presumably Joe will open.
  • PeterGage said:

Replacing Jennings, so presumably Joe will open.

Yes with Burns...Don't mess this up Joey lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well that didn’t go to plan. 6 runs out. Very lucky not to be out on 0.

Lets hope he does better in the 2nd innings
  • I .might be wrong but as far as I'm aware Denly hasn't played any 1st class cricket since last season with Kent.
    One day cricket only since then I believe.
    If so this is a bugger of a wicket to be playing your first 1st class appearance on in months.
  • Wouldn't be surprised if Denly asks Kent if he can open the batting.

If he can score some runs at the top of the order in Div 1 then hopefully he can get himself an Ashes gig.
  • Who were the last 5 Kent players (contracted at the time) to have opened the batting for England in Test cricket before Denley?
  • I .might be wrong but as far as I'm aware Denly hasn't played any 1st class cricket since last season with Kent.
    One day cricket only since then I believe.
    If so this is a bugger of a wicket to be playing your first 1st class appearance on in months.

It just shows up how stupid international tour itineraries are now.

The old days of a fistful of first-class warm-up matches are long gone - players are expected to rock up in new conditions and play as though they've been there all season without any kind of break.
  • Riviera said:

Who were the last 5 Kent players (contracted at the time) to have opened the batting for England in Test cricket before Denley?

I'll take a stab at:

Key

Benson

Tavare

Luckhurst

Denness
  • I don’t think Denness ever opened for England. The other four are correct.
  • Riviera said:

I don’t think Denness ever opened for England. The other four are correct.

If Denness didn't open then it must be Peter Richardson or Colin Cowdrey
  • No Len you’re going back too far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bob Woolmer?
  • Ed Smith?
  • Bob Woolmer
  • Did Geraint Jones or Tredwell open as night watchman ?
  • Bob Woolmer. He opened on Grieg’s victorious tour of India 76/77
  • Riviera said:

Bob Woolmer. He opened on Grieg’s victorious tour of India 76/77

He played all the right batsmen very much in the right order ...

:wink:
  • I have one abiding memory of Bob Woolmer.
    Can anyone guess what it is/do you have the same mental image of him playing ?
  • I have one abiding memory of Bob Woolmer.
    Can anyone guess what it is/do you have the same mental image of him playing ?

Chubby, rosy cheeks ?