Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Sunderland : 5th January 2019

Comments

• Options
    We all see it differently.
  • Options
    Early on in the match thread where some were watching on SAFC's version of ifollow and others at the game, Pratley was getting pelters. Also Thommo on Soccer Saturday gave him stick for the missed header.
  • Options

To be honest, Pratley had a decent game. For me, it was the missed header that marked him down. He should have scored.

I didn’t think he had a decent game, he was slow, missed a few passes and the header should have gone in.

Perhaps someone should ask Bowyer what he thinks of Pratley's contribution recently?

He doesn't seem to hesitate to play him.

• Options
    Pratley definitely has a place in the squad, if enough people are fit that place is on the bench at most or offering experience and tips in training. But with fitness issues going around he's an adequate stop gap without being an ideal solution.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

To be honest, Pratley had a decent game. For me, it was the missed header that marked him down. He should have scored.

I didn’t think he had a decent game, he was slow, missed a few passes and the header should have gone in.

Perhaps someone should ask Bowyer what he thinks of Pratley's contribution recently?

He’s got no choice
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    It'll be interesting to see what average mark Pratley gets in the Statbank because if he was that bad in the first half say worthy of a 3, 4 or 5 out of ten then to score a 6 overall he must have produced a 9, 8 or 7 second half performance :open_mouth: .
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB3?saison_id=2018&min=18&max=27

Just having a look at the form guide for the league, in our last 10 we have won 6 lost 3 and drawn 1. We are currently sit in 4th for the teams in form, sitting behind Luton, Pompey and Doncaster. The big concern is Doncaster, I thought they would fade but they seem to be on a Plymouth like run from last season and at the rate they are going could end up in the play offs comfortably.

Peterborough away is a massive, massive game, we could seriously knock them back with a win similar to the win against Plymouth last season although not as late on as that was in the season obviously

I shouldn't be too scared of Doncaster; They're a decent team and work hard for each other, but I'd be surprised if they finish the season higher placed than they are now.

Since they beat our stiffs in the Cup, their run has been playing Bristol Rovers, Scunthorpe, Oxford, Fleetwood, Gillingham and a Rochdale side that's now getting beaten by everybody.

Okay, you can only beat what's in front of you and they've been doing that, despite losing 3-0 to Fleetwood over Christmas.
    But they've not had any promotion rivals to face for quite a while.

Anyway, our rivals all have to play each other - lot's of dog-eat-dog matches, loss of form, injuries and suspensions to take into account and they will all drop points.

Really, it's about what Charlton can do; can we can put consistant winning runs together?
    It's in our own hands entirely, and I shouldn't worry too much about the others at this stage.
    It's deffo in our hands but we need to win more away from home, if we can beat Peterborough and Doncaster away and then Pompey and Luton at home we will be somewhere near those auto slots, just worry a bit about Peterborough cause they seem like a bit of a bogey side for us, in our last 5 games against them we have lost 4 and drawn 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019

Oggy Red said:

;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB3?saison_id=2018&min=18&max=27

Just having a look at the form guide for the league, in our last 10 we have won 6 lost 3 and drawn 1. We are currently sit in 4th for the teams in form, sitting behind Luton, Pompey and Doncaster. The big concern is Doncaster, I thought they would fade but they seem to be on a Plymouth like run from last season and at the rate they are going could end up in the play offs comfortably.

Peterborough away is a massive, massive game, we could seriously knock them back with a win similar to the win against Plymouth last season although not as late on as that was in the season obviously

I shouldn't be too scared of Doncaster; They're a decent team and work hard for each other, but I'd be surprised if they finish the season higher placed than they are now.

Since they beat our stiffs in the Cup, their run has been playing Bristol Rovers, Scunthorpe, Oxford, Fleetwood, Gillingham and a Rochdale side that's now getting beaten by everybody.

Okay, you can only beat what's in front of you and they've been doing that, despite losing 3-0 to Fleetwood over Christmas.
    But they've not had any promotion rivals to face for quite a while.

Anyway, our rivals all have to play each other - lot's of dog-eat-dog matches, loss of form, injuries and suspensions to take into account and they will all drop points.

Really, it's about what Charlton can do; can we can put consistant winning runs together?
    It's in our own hands entirely, and I shouldn't worry too much about the others at this stage.
    It's deffo in our hands but we need to win more away from home, if we can beat Peterborough and Doncaster away and then Pompey and Luton at home we will be somewhere near those auto slots, just worry a bit about Peterborough cause they seem like a bit of a bogey side for us, in our last 5 games against them we have lost 4 and drawn 1
    Past records count for nothing (apart from the Spanners :disappointed: ), it's the here and now that counts. IIRC we was robbed at home against Posh earlier in the season by a late dodgy penalty decision and their form of late is poor having only won once in the last six. With a decent away following behind the team, players coming back from injury and our luck changing on that front, I fancy us to take 3 points off them.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Oggy Red said:

Dropped him for Walsall in favour of an 18 year old debutant.

I generally agree though, he doesn’t have the silky skills of most of our other midfielders but he’s not nearly as bad as is being made out. Some fans just have to have a player they dislike though - looks like Pratley has been singled out this year.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

I generally agree though, he doesn’t have the silky skills of most of our other midfielders but he’s not nearly as bad as is being made out. Some fans just have to have a player they dislike though - looks like Pratley has been singled out this year.
    Except it wasn’t the 18 year olds debut
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    On Pratley I think he does what he is told as well as he can and he is an OK league 1 multi-purpose midfielder.

Would I prefer someone better, yes, is he terrible no.
  • Options
    timken said:

On a different note I have just watched newport beat liecester on the box and oldham beat fulham after gillingham beating cardiff yesterday and really really wish we could have a cup run.

Well yes, but as you're boycotting you wouldn't have gone even if we had a great home tie.
  • Options

Can't really add to what has already been said, but did enjoy this read from Sunderland supporter as he recalls his memories and observances from 1975. http://salutsunderland.com/2019/01/the-first-time-ever-i-saw-your-ground-charlton-athletic-and-the-valley/

Good atmospheric coverage of the match here https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=Jn9DO1cT_h8

Great link there to the 1975 game, which I remember very well.
    It was on The Big Match, we lost 1-2.
    Hales got sent off for kicking Henderson and my school mates got thrown out (seen on TV) for running on the pitch when we scored.

NB Mel Holden scored that day for Sunderland and I just read he died age 27, 6 years later from Motor Neurone Disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Holden
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Personally I think Neil Harris was there to watch Bauer

Don’t think they can afford Taylor. If he goes reckon we can get at least £1m for him. I don’t believe Millwall have that sort of dough, even selling that bloke earlier in the season. Possibly KAG but I think when you weigh up who started y’day, Bauer is the most likely candidate given he’s on a free
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Personally I think Neil Harris was there to watch Bauer

Don’t think they can afford Taylor. If he goes reckon we can get at least £1m for him. I don’t believe Millwall have that sort of dough, even selling that bloke earlier in the season. Possibly KAG but I think when you weigh up who started y’day, Bauer is the most likely candidate given he’s on a free

To be honest most of our squad are out of contract could have been any of them
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

redman said:

Echo a lot of above comments but 2 like to stress

Morgan; thought he was excellent for last 10 minutes of first half and in second half. Thought it was him who took the game by the scruff of the neck and got us going

Djiksteel; awful. Drifted out of position for their goal, almost gifted them a second 2 mins later. Totally off the pace. Slight improvement in second half but still a big weakness. Call for Toby at LB and Solly back to his natural position

Nice to see Williams and pleased he got a good reception. Not sure why it was Morgan rather Pratley who came off though.

Dijksteel was brilliant in the second half
    His first half was a nightmare and his 2nd half was a dream. I keep hearing he's playing out of position but he wouldn't get in the team anywhere else at the moment.
    Credit to his character for a barnstorming 2 nd half.
    It was disengenuos for anyone not to recognise his 100 % improvement in the second half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oggy Red said:

First league start = full league debut.
  • Options

My first home match of the season - a last minute decision. Flew down at crack of dawn. Colder in London than Glasgow!

Ten minutes in I was thinking I'm a total loony and should have known better after Barnsley. Was it going to be another good weekend ruined by a football match?

I was vociferously critical of Dijksteel while actually feeling quite sorry for a young lad hung out to dry. Surely Solly would hold his own better v McGeady? Pratley and Bielik also huge cause for concern. I don't really get the Bielik hype - he is too ponderous and doesn't impose himself on the game. Think some are flattered because he's Arsenal. But it's all opinion.

It was great to see The Valley looking and sounding lively and the support from the NU was admirable in a dire first 35 mins. Then Morgan decided to show those with more experience how to do it. High hopes for that youngster.

Then what a second half! Privileged to see Taylor at his finest at close quarters from our great vantage point near the front and East side of the NU. He is a class act and got the goal out of nothing.

The ref let them get away with cynical, repetitive fouling esp on Fosu which was frustrating. But otherwise really enjoyable match - latterly.

Going into injury time, both teams seemed unsure of whether to sit tight for the point or throw caution to the wind. A draw certainly a fair result and relieved they didn't repeat the last minute snatch and grab of SoL.

Then post match drinks at The Swan and a fine Charlton curry. Only thing missing were mates who are still boycotting / staying away. Let's hope we can all hurry back soon.

Seeing and hearing today's crowd, I have a little more faith that we will rapidly get our Charlton back as soon as Roland is gone.

Yes, very, very harsh on Beliek. Currently running a close 2nd to Taylor for POTY. As you say ....just your 1st home game of the season. Maybe see him a few more times & then judge.
  • Options

So ...... Anybody still disagree with Lord Bowyer's tactics in the FA Cup ??

Yes. Because then yesterdays game would have been postponed & when rescheduled we might have been able to field a stronger team (Cullen & maybe even Aribo back) & won.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Nope. Not singled out because we need a scapegoat.....because he is very defensive & when played with Beliek we effectively have 2 DM's in the team. Reason why we lost at Coventry & Barnsley imo. Our midfield recently had been too slow & ponderous. Without Aribo we have no-one to drive forward with the ball. Morgan done an ok job yesterday but having to rely on someone who is 19 in a few weeks time & only played 3 games this season is asking a lot. Need some energy in the midfield. Hoping Jonny Jonny will provide that.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

He started against Peterborough at the beginning of the season
  • Options
    Great atmosphere from the Charlton fans despite being a goal down , much better than when we were 2-0 up in the previous home game .
    That game we were great first and chuff second half and this game was the opposite.
    Just a couple of moans cos all the positives have been said elsewhere .
    Seriously after 4 mins we are 0-1 down and passing the ball around and going backwards to keep it safe and some of our fans are jeering and on the players cases, we have some proper chump supporters .
    Bielik made that misplaced back pass and just stood and watched, in disappointment, as they broke through and nearly scored, instead of tracking back and doing his utmost to make up for his blunder .
    Half time crossbar challenge , I’ve had enough , how do I enter .
    Seriously how bad are most of these entrants at football !!

• Options
    edited January 2019

Oggy Red said:

He started against Peterborough at the beginning of the season
    Then I stand corrected. Sure I read or heard somewhere on Saturday it was his first start in the league.

Either way, Pratley being dropped for him is hardly a massive vote of confidence for Pratley by Bowyer.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Nope. Not singled out because we need a scapegoat.....because he is very defensive & when played with Beliek we effectively have 2 DM's in the team. Reason why we lost at Coventry & Barnsley imo. Our midfield recently had been too slow & ponderous. Without Aribo we have no-one to drive forward with the ball. Morgan done an ok job yesterday but having to rely on someone who is 19 in a few weeks time & only played 3 games this season is asking a lot. Need some energy in the midfield. Hoping Jonny Jonny will provide that.
    Absolutely none of that is Pratley’s fault, so he is being singled out and scapegoated if those are the reasons for getting on his back.
  • Options
    @golfaddick I have been to away games and watched many other matches this season via stream so have seen plenty of Bielik. I stand by my judgment but each to their own. Wind your neck in a bit, please.
  • Options
    I am very happy with Bielik.