Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Sunderland : 5th January 2019

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer could learn from Curbs here. Curbs would have told them off. He treated the fans as an extra player.
  • Options
    we were crap 1st half
    we were good 2nd half

draw was a fair result imo the defending for their goal was laughable pratley looked like a rabbit in headlights.

if they were more clinical 1st half we could of been 2/3 down at ht thankfully they weren't and i see it as a point well earned.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    For the first goal, it was Djiksteel who was out of position - Pratley had two men to stop. The scorer was a defender who wasn't picked up - I don't know whose job that was. Some people have suggested Solly, but I would normally expect midfielders to track defenders in open play.
  • Options

For the first goal, it was Djiksteel who was out of position - Prately had two men to stop. The scorer was a defender who wan't picked up - I don't know whose job that was. Some people have suggested Solly, but I would normally expect midfielders to track defenders in open play.

It was certainly an odd one in terms of who should have been picking him up and have to wonder if it should have been someone like Fosu or Morgan i.e. the man who's job it is to protect their full-back?

Dijksteel gets out of position so Pratley runs over to cover his position; Dijksteel on the other hand slots into the Defensive Midfield role so he in turn is covering where Pratley should have been... Because everyone has gone towards the near post; Sarr has covered the first attacker and Solly has covered the second

Because of Solly having to come out of position it would have meant that Morgan (as wasn't he on the left flank of the diamond?) should maybe have ideally tracked the run of O'Nien - Him and Bowyer were certainly having a discussion about something as they came over towards the East Stand and were in the process of making hand gestures about what seemed his movement off the ball
  • Options
    Bielik is an excellent player but inexperienced - his main fault seems to be overplaying things when he'd be better releasing the ball. I'm sure he'll play at a much higher level.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Bielik does sometimes give the ball away, maybe lack of concentration or perhaps different wave length. But He is by far and away the best footballer at the club.
  • Options

Bielik does sometimes give the ball away, maybe lack of concentration or perhaps different wave length. But He is by far and away the best footballer at the club.

I think it's just inexperience - a few bollockings and he'll cut this out of his game. Very skilful and composed player - surprised we got him on loan.
  • Options

I think it's just inexperience - a few bollockings and he'll cut this out of his game. Very skilful and composed player - surprised we got him on loan.
    I wonder if we wouldnt had it not been for his injury problems of late

Didnt get much time at Birmingham so was difficult to work out if he was good enough for at least the Championship, guess last seasons loan to Walsall would have been to see if he was better than League One, his injury stopped that happening so back to this level he comes

In a way its similar to Jay Dasilva... Came to League One solely for a season and a half because he didnt really get a chance to show what he could do in that first half season, and will be the same again in the summer... If we go up we probably stand a chance of getting Bielik back in on loan, if we dont then he'll make the step up with another team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oggy Red said:

To be honest, Pratley had a decent game. For me, it was the missed header that marked him down. He should have scored.

I didn’t think he had a decent game, he was slow, missed a few passes and the header should have gone in.

Perhaps someone should ask Bowyer what he thinks of Pratley's contribution recently?

He doesn't seem to hesitate to play him.

Dropped him for Walsall in favour of an 18 year old debutant.

I generally agree though, he doesn’t have the silky skills of most of our other midfielders but he’s not nearly as bad as is being made out. Some fans just have to have a player they dislike though - looks like Pratley has been singled out this year.
    Except it wasn’t the 18 year olds debut
    First league start = full league debut.
    He started against Peterborough at the beginning of the season
    Then I stand corrected. Sure I read or heard somewhere on Saturday it was his first start in the league.

Either way, Pratley being dropped for him is hardly a massive vote of confidence for Pratley by Bowyer.
    Bowyer needs to manage the situation and talk to prately. Morgan deserves the shirt over him at the moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Classy player who is essentially a CB according to his parent club that has adapted well in a defensive midfield role with us. Learnt from being subbed at HT at Rochdale for overplaying it a bit and came back even more determined to nail down a place in the side.

Saw him for the first time at Accrington and made an immediate impact on me having to fulfill a couple of roles during that game. Not surprised we got him on loan given the relationship with Arsenal following previous attachments especially Song and Coquelin.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Morgan is an excellent prospect but has a long way to go still. It is good he is getting experience and impressing, but there are parts of his game he needs to work on. Mostly when he hasn't got the ball, but there was a chance in the second half when he had a good shooting opportunity but his first touch was awful.
  • Options
    timken said:

On a different note I have just watched newport beat liecester on the box and oldham beat fulham after gillingham beating cardiff yesterday and really really wish we could have a cup run.

I really really wish we could have a promotion run. :smile:

Far more rewarding in the long run.

• Options

Oggy Red said:

To be honest, Pratley had a decent game. For me, it was the missed header that marked him down. He should have scored.

I didn’t think he had a decent game, he was slow, missed a few passes and the header should have gone in.

Perhaps someone should ask Bowyer what he thinks of Pratley's contribution recently?

He doesn't seem to hesitate to play him.

Dropped him for Walsall in favour of an 18 year old debutant.

I generally agree though, he doesn’t have the silky skills of most of our other midfielders but he’s not nearly as bad as is being made out. Some fans just have to have a player they dislike though - looks like Pratley has been singled out this year.
    Bowyer said he took Pratley out of the starting XI v Walsall because he was exhausted after the Christmas games.

Don't forget he had missed several weeks injured and thrust back into the team as soon as he was recovered - but that doesn't make him match fit.
    It normally takes a 30+ player longer to recover and gain match sharpness after a period out injured.

• Options

Just a couple of moans cos all the positives have been said elsewhere .
    Seriously after 4 mins we are 0-1 down and passing the ball around and going backwards to keep it safe and some of our fans are jeering and on the players cases, we have some proper chump supporters .

Glad someone raised this. It’s the back of the NE Family Corner. Always where the boos start and they waited just 4 minutes to boo a back pass. Does my head in as it clearly can’t be kids.
    I must of been at a different game.
    We played the ball around and back nearly all the first half.
    Was it 30-35 minutes before we had a shot.
    To add although I moan , I never boo players or players or the team
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Seriously after 4 mins we are 0-1 down and passing the ball around and going backwards to keep it safe and some of our fans are jeering and on the players cases, we have some proper chump supporters .

Glad someone raised this. It’s the back of the NE Family Corner. Always where the boos start and they waited just 4 minutes to boo a back pass. Does my head in as it clearly can’t be kids.
    this usually drives me mad but on Saturday I could tolerate it .. we were under serious pressure and needed possession, ANY possession to gain some control, some foothold and to deny Sunderland the ball during a time when they were well on top and threatening to overwhelm us .. AND it worked
  • Options

clb74 said:

this usually drives me mad but on Saturday I could tolerate it .. we were under serious pressure and needed possession, ANY possession to gain some control, some foothold and to deny Sunderland the ball during a time when they were well on top and threatening to overwhelm us .. AND it worked
    We did the same at Barnsley - even when 2-0 down. No points from that, one point from Saturday so I think it's a bit inconclusive re whether or not it works.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

clb74 said:

We did the same at Barnsley - even when 2-0 down. No points from that, one point from Saturday so I think it's a bit inconclusive re whether or not it works.

clb74 said:

I'll amend .. AND it worked (in this case) ((:>)
  • Options
    To be fair we only started to get a foot in the door when we went direct down the middle to Taylor.

The problem was with the possession that neither Full back was interested in going forward first half. We actually had a free kick in their half and Solly passed it backwards into our 3rd of the pitch, that fckin infuriated me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Referee: almost anonymous but inconsistent with the bookings
    Phillips: decent
    Dijksteel: vast improvement over NYD and offered some threat going forward
    Bauer: solid enough
    Sarr: solid and picked a decent pass or 2
    Solly: solid
    Bielik: overplayed from time to time
    Pratley: head like a 50p, shoulda scored
    Morgan: looking good
    Fosu-Henry: didn't try a leg first half, usual running up blind alleys, bad decisions and giving it away in 2nd half - with arrival of Williams and probable return to fitness of Clarke his starting days are numbered unless he bucks his ideas up
    Taylor: no service first half, and excellent nuisance 2nd half
    Grant: no service first half, pace alarmed mackems 2nd half, missed a sitter!
  • Options

clb74 said:

Needed possession we was 3/4 of the way up the pitch on a couple of occasions and the ball ended up back with Phillips.
    No I'm all for it lincs if you don't let a 2nd goal in.
    As weegie said we done the same at Barnsley when we were 2-0.
    Was talking to a fellow lifer at half time the Barnsley game.
    His a defensive man, he asked me said attack.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Diamond formation provides absolutely no width. You have 4 midfield players in the same 20x20 yard area, all facing their own goal, when in possession at the back. Solly and Djiksteel were pinned back by Sunderland two wider forwards, so when Bauer and especially Sarr had the ball, the options are extremely limited. It’s no surprise that when we went direct, with Taylor’s aerial ability and Pratley, Fosu and Morgan picking up the second ball, that we got joy. I’m really not a fan of the diamond formation, particularly against a well organised and intelligent side like Sunderland, if we are going to go short from Phillips. I just don’t think we have the intricate players in midfield required to play that system in that way in League One.
  • Options

Diamond formation provides absolutely no width. You have 4 midfield players in the same 20x20 yard area, all facing their own goal, when in possession at the back. Solly and Djiksteel were pinned back by Sunderland two wider forwards, so when Bauer and especially Sarr had the ball, the options are extremely limited. It’s no surprise that when we went direct, with Taylor’s aerial ability and Pratley, Fosu and Morgan picking up the second ball, that we got joy. I’m really not a fan of the diamond formation, particularly against a well organised and intelligent side like Sunderland, if we are going to go short from Phillips. I just don’t think we have the intricate players in midfield required to play that system in that way in League One.

And to people saying who should have picked up their goalscorer, that’s the issue with the diamond. We had no winger to track their full back. Advantages and disadvantages of any formation and that was a disadvantage.
  • Options

Believe me its full of twats back there.
  • Options
    When I was a very successful coach I explained to my under 11's side that don't do back passes because:

1. The pitches are mainly shite and too many bad bounces.
    2. The reason our keeper Jack is between the sticks are, he has wonderful hands and two left feet.
    3. Most goals will be scored in the penalty area or from a Max of 20 yards so keep the ball away from our area at all costs.

I understand why we did it Saturday was to get some passes going and stop Sunderland's momentum but it took 30 plus minutes for young Morgan to run at them and get a shot on target.

I would never boo back passes but we do overdo it and we were getting closed down so quickly by the wearsiders that it was only when we became more Pro active at getting forward did we start to gain control after 35 minutes.
  • Options
    Get the ball in their half & preferably in their box - they can't score in your net from there !
  • Options
    Just for those who don’t know , it’s LYLE Taylor not Lyall or Kyle
  • Options
    Thanks oohaah, I also know him as Grant Taylor, or on particularly bad days when I can't remember anybody's name 'the bloke with the hair'.