Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CHARLTON 2 AFC WIMBLEDON 0 - 15th December 2018

CHARLTON 2 (Taylor 60, Marshall 86) WIMBLEDON 0

Attendance: 10,691 (1,048 Wimbledon)

Charlton Steer, Solly, Bauer, Pearce (c), Sarr, Bielik, Reeves (Marshall 77), Aribo, Fosu, Taylor, Ajose (Dijksteel 77).

Wimbledon McDonnell, Watson, Purrington, Nightingale (c), Thomas, Wagstaff (Burey72), Hartigan (Jervis 60), Pinnock, Barcham (Hanson 78), Soares, Wordsworth.

Summary

Crazy start to the game as before you could sneeze and apply a proper wife of your nose, Nabby Sarr found himself trudging back down the tunnel with the quickest sending off in Charlton's history. Fortunately, Wimbledon were absolutely pants and offered no threat going forward, and lost their man advantage before HT as one of their players stupidly dived and received a 2nd yellow. In the 2nd half, a goal from Taylor (despite needing an injection to play) and a good strike from Marshall during an impressive late cameo were enough to see Charlton comfortable victors, and now 5 league wins in 6 for the Reds.

Post Match comments

Bowyer: "It was difficult. I think they came here, played a certain way, they tried to sit in there and make it difficult for us. They did for a good part of the game. It was tough conditions, the pitch, I just walked across it there, another half hour or hour and he (the referee) might of stopped it (the game). The ball wasn’t moving too well out there.

"Overall I think we probably deserved it. Even when we went down to 10 men we were still the better side. We were still moving the ball and creating the odd chance. We just had to be patient and I said that before the game. We had to keep the ball, move the ball and try and switch it. That’s how we’d open them up and I think we did that. The most important thing is we’ve got the three points and now we’ve got a bit of a break, so roll on next Saturday.

"We had a couple of chances first half but a lot of possession. Teams know that we’re a good side, especially at home. They came here, tried to make it difficult, I understand why."

STATBANK Player Marks

Bielik = 7.83
Taylor = 7.58
Aribo = 7.34
Pearce = 7.29
Bauer = 7.22
Steer = 6.86
Solly = 6.79
Fosu = 6.64
Reeves = 6.57
Ajose = 6.56

Team Average = 7.07

At the game...

@Henry Irving : Cold, miserable day, cold miserable game. People often say that the opposition are the "worst team at the Valley this season" but Wimbledon were really lacking in any fight or ambition. They tried in last 15 minutes but not what you expect from a Wally Downes or Wimbledon team.

Bowyer was brave, regardless, by going with three at the back and we dominated possession. It seemed just a matter of time before we scored but Reeves was wasteful and Fosu didn't do enough with the wealth of possession he had. Lovely finishes from Taylor and Marshall to win it.

Ajose worked hard and good assist. Back three comfortable as had little real defending to do until late on. Aribo maybe not at his best but very busy. Would have to see the Sarr sending off again but looked like he slid in with his studs up and caught the attacker. Wet pitch might not have helped but it was worth a card, question is which colour. Both Pinnocks yellows seemed justified. AFCW had one attack in 20 mins which resulted in a sending off!

The six points this week put us right in the mix. Another ground out win but that's what we need to do to go up. Happy days.

Matchday Links

Preview
Match Thread
Post Match Views
Player Marks Thread
Statbank

Return to 2018/19 fixtures HERE

Comments