Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ultra Low Emission Zone

Comments

• Options
    I can't see the problem with this if you live in London. Hopefully I get caught with my old 2018 car in 2030 with the electricity evolution.
  • Options
    Im hoping to convert our bedroom to an ultra low emission zone. 
  • Options
    Riscardo said:
    You pricks in London voted him in.
    It's a tory policy that he has to implement !!!

Bejesus
    How do you come to that conclusion when for instance Tory Bexley & Bromley are vehemently opposed?
  • Options
    Riscardo said:

Bejesus
    I really think you need to check your facts here.
    Really? It was part of the govt bailout of TFL that the ULEZ was extended to the M25. Obviously the govt want Khan to get the blame but this was one of Grant Shapps main aims. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Riscardo said:

Bejesus
    Really? It was part of the govt bailout of TFL that the ULEZ was extended to the M25. Obviously the govt want Khan to get the blame but this was one of Grant Shapps main aims. 
    That's just wrong.

In layman's terms, as part of the bailout TfL are obliged to find savings. But the government did not instruct Khan to extend the ULEZ to the M25. That was Khan's choice.

You can see the TFL settlement letter here - https://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-settlement-letter-30-august-2022.pdf

If you look at para 22, it clearly - and quite pointedly -states "You have decided to consult on proposals for the introduction of a London-wide Ultra Low Emission Zone for introduction in 2023, to improve air quality in London."

There is no instruction from the government for him to do it.
  • Options
    Absolute appalling news. Especially in SE London where the tube doesn't even go anywhere near. I bet the ULEZ map would look a lot different if it was based on the Underground.

So basically there is a £12.50 charge to enter Greater London. 

Muppets.
    Yep, we’re in the same boat. We bought a Diesel Qashqai 4 years ago because the government said we should which is still a fab car, really reliable and exactly what we need and love but thanks to that prick, I’m now going to have to find £10k in the next 7 months to buy an equivalent car that does the same bloody thing and try to flog mine somehow for peanuts. Not happy. 
  • Options
    The artificial boundary between London and the Home Counties is a concern. Businesses just inside the London boundary will be impacted if customers just outside stop coming in, Crayford shops being a good example. 

It will be interesting if more people go to Dartford Sainsbury's and Aldi at the expense of the Crayford ones, even if they live nearer Crayford.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    meldrew66 said:
    Absolute appalling news. Especially in SE London where the tube doesn't even go anywhere near. I bet the ULEZ map would look a lot different if it was based on the Underground.

Muppets.
    Yep, we’re in the same boat. We bought a Diesel Qashqai 4 years ago because the government said we should which is still a fab car, really reliable and exactly what we need and love but thanks to that prick, I’m now going to have to find £10k in the next 7 months to buy an equivalent car that does the same bloody thing and try to flog mine somehow for peanuts. Not happy. 
    If that car is so polluting though @meldrew66 was it such a good buy in the first place? Does it actually fail the ulez checker to verify it breaches the Euro6 standard?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    meldrew66 said:

Muppets.
    How old is the car?
    I ask because the charge only applies to diesel vehicles older than 2015, you need to check, you might be worrying about nothing.🤞
  • Options
    The tfl black hole won’t be helped by the decision to ban Qatar adverts from all tfl vehicles, just announced.

Will also have significant impact on the City as Qatari investment looks like moving away as a result.
  • Options
    My Fiesta diesel (63 plate) is road tax exempt due to its low emissions, yet not for ULEZ. However my mate’s 335 which is £450 a year road tax because of the emissions is ULEZ compliant. Go figure.
  • Options
    Sadiq says 'Our city is being smothered by toxic air. Air pollution particles have even been found in the livers and brains of unborn babies. We can not stand idly by and allow this to continue'

What he forgot to add was 'unless you pay us £12.50 a day to help pay our 100k wages and bonuses, then that pollution magically disappears and you are no longer a baby killer'
  • Options
    It moves out to M25 in a couple of years too.
    It's the North and South circulars actually
    @killerandflash
    crystal ball working well.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    The tfl black hole won’t be helped by the decision to ban Qatar adverts from all tfl vehicles, just announced.

Will also have significant impact on the City as Qatari investment looks like moving away as a result.
    They own Harrods, right? So that'll get shut down and turned into a massive Sports Direct
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Muppets.
    How old is the car?
    I ask because the charge only applies to diesel vehicles older than 2015, you need to check, you might be worrying about nothing.🤞
    2010 mate. Only 66k on the clock
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    meldrew66 said:

Muppets.
    How old is the car?
    2010 mate. Only 66k on the clock
    Oh well……..you’re screwed there then.😕
  • Options
    Sadiq says 'Our city is being smothered by toxic air. Air pollution particles have even been found in the livers and brains of unborn babies. We can not stand idly by and allow this to continue'

What he forgot to add was 'unless you pay us £12.50 a day to help pay our 100k wages and bonuses, then that pollution magically disappears and you are no longer a baby killer'
    Incentives are the most effective way to bring behavioural change.

It's not a complicated concept.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And how do we stop the large number of families doing school runs every day for presumably small journeys? That’s poor on every level yet appears to be increasing. 

Schools try I think to encourage walking  as should be very viable for most but it seems to little success. 

ULEZ likely won’t solve. But what will?

• Options

And how do we stop the large number of families doing school runs every day for presumably small journeys? That’s poor on every level yet appears to be increasing. 

Schools try I think to encourage walking  as should be very viable for most but it seems to little success. 

Stricter enforcement around the schools with more restrictions?; so joint effort by council and schools leadership, on a council and school by school basis (Though couldn't see it happening myself either until some connected health scares materialise in the media!) 
  • Options

Stricter enforcement around the schools with more restrictions?; so joint effort by council and schools leadership, on a council and school by school basis (Though couldn't see it happening myself either until some connected health scares materialise in the media!) 
    It already happens in schools around London and rightly so imo
  • Options
    agreed that is needed. But doesn’t seem to happen often enough. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    rananegra said:
    Riscardo said:

Bejesus
    That's just wrong.

In layman's terms, as part of the bailout TfL are obliged to find savings. But the government did not instruct Khan to extend the ULEZ to the M25. That was Khan's choice.

You can see the TFL settlement letter here - https://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-settlement-letter-30-august-2022.pdf

If you look at para 22, it clearly - and quite pointedly -states "You have decided to consult on proposals for the introduction of a London-wide Ultra Low Emission Zone for introduction in 2023, to improve air quality in London."

There is no instruction from the government for him to do it.
    Just because it is not in that document doesn't mean it wasn't there. 

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Everyone says "No we don't want this" 

Politician does whatever the fuck he wants anyway

Shocked.
    Normally politicians implement policies which will get them elected next time round. So I wonder why he would make himself so unpopular? Maybe he truly believes that implementing the ULEZ will improve the lives of people in Greater London? Maybe he's been forced into it?

Personally, I think it's a bad idea which is being badly implemented. It will bankrupt businesses and force people into poverty. Not what is needed in a recession. 
  • Options
    A few years ago I got 3 new cars at work.  Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV because the emissions were low enough to go into the Congestion Charge without paying and my guys were in there every single day.  Effectively the saving meant the cars were very reasonably priced.
    What did they do?  The reduced the emissions level to be 1 g/km below the limit of the Outlander and we then had to pay a premium for a hybrid vehicle (relatively new tech back then) as well as a load of congestion charges.
    They convinced everyone to get diesels a while back and now make them prohibitively expensive to buy and impossible to sell.  Glad my wifes one is leased and goes back soon.
    They convinced everyone that electric vehicles are the way forward - but now we are charged stupid amounts for electricity.

No idea what to get when we get a new car or wifey now!  Might just stick with plain and boring petrol cars
  • Options
    I handsdown win the competition for the most shafted, because of ulez. I run a gardening company in Bromley with six transit tipper trucks only one of which is ulez compliant (18 plate) to continue to trade I will need to pay £62.50 per truck per day or spend £18,000 on an 18 plate truck x5. That’s too much money which ever way you look at it. I’m all for saving the planet but why do I feel I am the one picked on here?. Shouldn’t the burden be shared? It really is a question of fairness.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Swisdom said:
    A few years ago I got 3 new cars at work.  Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV because the emissions were low enough to go into the Congestion Charge without paying and my guys were in there every single day.  Effectively the saving meant the cars were very reasonably priced.
    What did they do?  The reduced the emissions level to be 1 g/km below the limit of the Outlander and we then had to pay a premium for a hybrid vehicle (relatively new tech back then) as well as a load of congestion charges.
    They convinced everyone to get diesels a while back and now make them prohibitively expensive to buy and impossible to sell.  Glad my wifes one is leased and goes back soon.
    They convinced everyone that electric vehicles are the way forward - but now we are charged stupid amounts for electricity.

No idea what to get when we get a new car or wifey now!  Might just stick with plain and boring petrol cars
    You are thinking of swapping out the Missus?  :o  Is she non-compliant?
  • Options
    I handsdown win the competition for the most shafted, because of ulez. I run a gardening company in Bromley with six transit tipper trucks only one of which is ulez compliant (18 plate) to continue to trade I will need to pay £62.50 per truck per day or spend £18,000 on an 18 plate truck x5. That’s too much money which ever way you look at it. I’m all for saving the planet but why do I feel I am the one picked on here?. Shouldn’t the burden be shared? It really is a question of fairness.
    I'd contact your MP maybe it's Bob Neill.
    It may not help, but there may be some chink of light.