Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Art

Comments

• Options

This was painted by a guy I know 
  • Options
    Wow, I'm sure you can tell more when close up but it looks like a photo. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    shine166 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    each to their own - you must see something in these pictures that i don't and must think there is a lot more to producing them than there is - i'm not convinced but if you are, that all that matters  - and there's no question at all that that mexican gallery has been opened by somebody with even less talent coz if he appreciates those paintings, he's viewing from a very low skilled perspective  
    Art is not produced, it is created. 
    A good draughtsman produces work, an artist expresses their imagination.
    It reminds me of a conversation I had in a pub in Wembley, probably about 25 years ago. There was a two piece band playing, guitarist/vocalist and a drummer. They were pretty good technically and were knocking our mainly Dire Straits stuff. One of the guys I was with said to me that he couldn’t understand why these guys were earning maybe a ton on a Friday night in a pub, while Knopfler was a multi-million selling superstar. I replied ‘Knopfler created it, these guys are just copying it’. He just nodded in acceptance!

Let’s see photos of your ‘original thought’ - maybe you are a star to be discovered!
    i'd be genuinely interested in hearing what original thought you see in the paintings above and why you think it's so good 
    Harrington paints like a modern master, go stand infront of his Greenwich mural, if you can paint like that I can get you hi end 5 figure sums for a few days work.
    will do - at the moment i'm starting to think that portraits are a true test of an artist - if the true test is being able to exactly replicate something - the other sides to art are a lot more subjective i guess 

The ability to exactly replicate something with a paint brush is an incredible skill, but for me that is the skill of a technician, a draughtsman. Portraits - looking like a photograph is draughting, Picasso or van Gogh revealed so much more than their ability to recreate reality. That's not to decry the technicians skills, but for me art has to reveal more than that.

Let's take a subject dear to all true Charlton fan's hearts - trains!

There's this an an example of draughtsmanship:

Technically brilliant but, for me, lacks the exposure of the artist's imagination.

Then there's this masterpiece:

For me the first is to admire, the second is to look in wonder and awe.

But as you say - art appreciation is one of the most subjective of topics.

Not sure how you can really compare the two, even as an exercise, as they are so remote from each other?

I wasn't comparing, I was contrasting!
    One and the same?
  • Options

`Sisters Of Mercy' by Peter Howson
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    shine166 said:
    This Picasso quote sums it up perfectly and was a natural genius.

'It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child'
    'not got the brains he was born with' might be another - only joking, i'm sure picasso must have had something - not something i've ever wanted, mind you   
    You are a piece of work: come on then, let's see some of yours.
  • Options
    I’ve never really ‘got’ art. The only thing I’ve seen that has really grabbed me was “That Which I Should Have Done I Did Not Do (The Door)” by Ivan Albright. I saw it in a museum in Chicago. I usually spend about 30 seconds in front of any painting......but I must had stood transfixed by this for about 10 minutes.
    Still haven’t been able to find a decent image of this online. 
  • Options
    I’ve never really ‘got’ art. The only thing I’ve seen that has really grabbed me was “That Which I Should Have Done I Did Not Do (The Door)” by Ivan Albright. I saw it in a museum in Chicago. I usually spend about 30 seconds in front of any painting......but I must had stood transfixed by this for about 10 minutes.
    About the best you'll get.

Stunning artist.

Art Institute Chicago
  • Options

Not sure what Doucher will make of that??
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Stunning artist.

Art Institute Chicago
    Now that's one that I don't "get". What's so good about it? 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

18 hours of work that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:

Stunning artist.

Art Institute Chicago
    Probably one you have to stand in front of (it's 8 ft high) to get the full effect - that's not a great image.

Here's a detail which shows the intricacy of the work.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:

Stunning artist.

Art Institute Chicago
    Probably one you have to stand in front of (it's 8 ft high) to get the full effect - that's not a great image.

Thanks Bob. 

Like I said in the original post.......I know little about art. 

I just walk past paintings in galleries with barely a glance. 

This painting was different. I couldn’t take my eyes off it - and I couldn’t (and still can’t) explain why. 

I think it took him 10 years or something to complete. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:

Stunning artist.

Art Institute Chicago

Thanks Bob. 

Like I said in the original post.......I know little about art. 

I just walk past paintings in galleries with barely a glance. 

This painting was different. I couldn’t take my eyes off it - and I couldn’t (and still can’t) explain why. 

I think it took him 10 years or something to complete. 

I know probably less about art - I've never studied it and think that most art critics talk bollocks.

But I see it as about imagery rather than the image - good art (good in my mind, it may be bad art in another's mind and that's absolutely fine) engages more than your eyes - and it is clear that Albright's 'Door' engaged your senses beyond just the image - you couldn't leave it, it drew you back and in. That's the power.

Albright was a genius at doing that.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    shine166 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    each to their own - you must see something in these pictures that i don't and must think there is a lot more to producing them than there is - i'm not convinced but if you are, that all that matters  - and there's no question at all that that mexican gallery has been opened by somebody with even less talent coz if he appreciates those paintings, he's viewing from a very low skilled perspective  
    It reminds me of a conversation I had in a pub in Wembley, probably about 25 years ago. There was a two piece band playing, guitarist/vocalist and a drummer. They were pretty good technically and were knocking our mainly Dire Straits stuff. One of the guys I was with said to me that he couldn’t understand why these guys were earning maybe a ton on a Friday night in a pub, while Knopfler was a multi-million selling superstar. I replied ‘Knopfler created it, these guys are just copying it’. He just nodded in acceptance!

Let’s see photos of your ‘original thought’ - maybe you are a star to be discovered!
    i'd be genuinely interested in hearing what original thought you see in the paintings above and why you think it's so good 
    Harrington paints like a modern master, go stand infront of his Greenwich mural, if you can paint like that I can get you hi end 5 figure sums for a few days work.
    will do - at the moment i'm starting to think that portraits are a true test of an artist - if the true test is being able to exactly replicate something - the other sides to art are a lot more subjective i guess 

The ability to exactly replicate something with a paint brush is an incredible skill, but for me that is the skill of a technician, a draughtsman. Portraits - looking like a photograph is draughting, Picasso or van Gogh revealed so much more than their ability to recreate reality. That's not to decry the technicians skills, but for me art has to reveal more than that.

Technically brilliant but, for me, lacks the exposure of the artist's imagination.

Not sure how you can really compare the two, even as an exercise, as they are so remote from each other?

One and the same?
    Not at all. Comparing looks for similarities. Contrasting looks for differences.

• Options

Touch of Stanley Spencer there...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    agreed - i can appreciate the skill in the train picture but see very little no talent in the bottom picture  

Yes - JMW Turner was a charlatan of the highest order!

There's a lot of 'Emperor's new clothes' in the artworld - 'I have to like it because I'm supposed to like it' - but if you like something it's because you get something from it, not because you are expected to. Nothing to do with being up your own arsey.

I love this as a portrait:

Most of his other work that he is famous for leaves me cold.
    is it alex higgins on one of his better days??
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    imagination is something i' don't believe i have ever lacked, maybe that is why i don't appreciate it as much - sounds a bit up your own arsey but so be it - similarly, i prefer to read factual or analytical type books rather than fiction as i just think that anybody could make a story up and its not that difficult - boring even - who knows, who cares even - each to their own is probably about right. 

You must realise that if you make the effort, you could be the first to win both the Turner and Booker prizes.
    ain't got the room in the trophy cabinet tbh
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Redskin said:
    DOUCHER said:
    shine166 said:
    This Picasso quote sums it up perfectly and was a natural genius.

'It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child'
    'not got the brains he was born with' might be another - only joking, i'm sure picasso must have had something - not something i've ever wanted, mind you   
    You are a piece of work: come on then, let's see some of yours.
    thankyou - said i will upload my first 5 paintings once i've finished my 5th - it's not finished yet
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

a weird painting of some ugly / weird people? wouldn't want it on my wall, that' s for sure
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    bobmunro said:

18 hours of work that 
    sounds about right
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Talal said:
    bobmunro said:

Stunning artist.

Art Institute Chicago

not great - look at the blurring on top of the thumb - lazy 
  • Options
    and the hand is way too small compared to the fingers - the rest is whatever he wants it to be although admittedly, would have taken some time to do 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    and the hand is way too small compared to the fingers - the rest is whatever he wants it to be although admittedly, would have taken some time to do 
    From your perspective maybe but perhaps not the artists?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    shine166 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:

One and the same?
    Not at all. Comparing looks for similarities. Contrasting looks for differences.

It's still comparing, isn't it, not trying to be contrary.
  • Options

`The Heavy Metal Hero' by Rodney Matthews
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    From your perspective maybe but perhaps not the artists?
    its a badly drawn hand from anybody's perspective 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

did he tell you that?
  • Options

`The Heavy Metal Hero' by Rodney Matthews
    genius (crying with laughter thing)
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    shine166 said:

did he tell you that?
    Yeah he did, he also painted this, he's a full blown professional Artist and has made work for the nations favourite Bristol Born graffiti Artist... whether you believe that or not is completely up to you though.

• Options
    shine166 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    shine166 said:

did he tell you that?
    Yeah he did, he also painted this, he's a full blown professional Artist and has made work for the nations favourite Bristol Born graffiti Artist... whether you believe that or not is completely up to you though.

if both the above are painted then i applaud his talent