Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Mansfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Just had a look on the player marks and amazed at the amount of people who gave fosu a low mark - he isn't quite back to his best but he's not far off and is a cut above most of our side. Getting him fully firing again is going to be key and it looked like they were trialling billy clarke for the cullen role in the first half which isn't a bad shout as he's a very tidy player but maybe a few games off yet.
  • Options
    A rather misleading result as the game was close until the bizarre 3rd goal.

Taylor was excellent, and gave 100% commitment too, perhaps too much at times, we don't want him picking up bookings as he's too valuable. Bauer was excellent, read the play well and some excellent interventions.

In the first half in particular, we lost the ball in dangerous positions several times, and against more clinical opposition would have been punished. Dijksteel and Clarke in particular struggled (Clarke playing again in the Cullen role for the first half).

A very strange formation after the subs, with an incredibly raw and exposed defence. If Mansfield had pulled it back to 2-1, then I think we would have conceded more at the end. Don't know why Pearce wasn't on the bench, when Bowyer knew Bauer wouldn't last the game, he's had 2 weeks off already. We did look dangerous going forward though, especially as the 3rd goal killed things off. Marshall had a very good cameo
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR

It would've been offside anyway but Taylor missed an open goal in about the second minute. He got booked as well for a totally stupid challenge.
    Then he performs like that!
    Just flown back from Monserrat or wherever, and he was outstanding, his hat trick goal was almost Jensenesque, and no fluke whatsoever, he, and his team mates were hunting for his third and it was special.
    We seem to have a lot of luck against Mansfield, could have been level at the break, but credit to Ajose for laying on two goals for Taylor (and later he bagged one of his own), before the Ref decided to twist the knife into Mansfield by rightly giving us a free kick, but weirdly signalling it to Mansfield, all their players went up, and he gives the kick the other way, Marshall the beneficiary.
    One good save from a generally untroubled Phillips, Djiksteel was being well tested until he went into the centre for Bauer who was great to see back, then he played well. Sarr is Sarr obviously, but today he was the good Sarr, except when the bad Sarr appeared and he gave away a penalty that the ref didn't give in the first half!
    Stephenson was outpaced for their chance that hit the post, but grew into the game. Lapslie and Pratley were the players who kept us going in the disjointed first half where Clarke was continuing his rehabilitation, Lapslie was excellent through the whole game I thought. They doubled up on Fosu quite a lot and kept him quiet.
    Comprehensive win in the end although 5-0 was a bit harsh on Mansfield.
    I don't know who was the last Charlton player to get an F.A. Cup hat trick, but no way would they have rounded it off with a better goal than Taylor's.

Taylor tried a chip earlier in the second half, which was blocked on the line (and he was off side anyway) so he had already seen a weakness with their keeper!
  • Options
    What a turn up!

Very pleased for those who were dedicated enough to attend.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Highlights and goals here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46189628

Edit - beaten to it.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR

It would've been offside anyway but Taylor missed an open goal in about the second minute. He got booked as well for a totally stupid challenge.
    Just flown back from Monserrat or wherever, and he was outstanding, his hat trick goal was almost Jensenesque, and no fluke whatsoever, he, and his team mates were hunting for his third and it was special.
    We seem to have a lot of luck against Mansfield, could have been level at the break, but credit to Ajose for laying on two goals for Taylor (and later he bagged one of his own), before the Ref decided to twist the knife into Mansfield by rightly giving us a free kick, but weirdly signalling it to Mansfield, all their players went up, and he gives the kick the other way, Marshall the beneficiary.
    One good save from a generally untroubled Phillips, Djiksteel was being well tested until he went into the centre for Bauer who was great to see back, then he played well. Sarr is Sarr obviously, but today he was the good Sarr, except when the bad Sarr appeared and he gave away a penalty that the ref didn't give in the first half!
    Stephenson was outpaced for their chance that hit the post, but grew into the game. Lapslie and Pratley were the players who kept us going in the disjointed first half where Clarke was continuing his rehabilitation, Lapslie was excellent through the whole game I thought. They doubled up on Fosu quite a lot and kept him quiet.
    I don't know who was the last Charlton player to get an F.A. Cup hat trick, but no way would they have rounded it off with a better goal than Taylor's.

I cannot think of a hat-trick for Charlton in the FA Cup during my 55 years of support.

I know we beat Burton 7-0 c 1956 . Could someone (?Summers or Leary maybe) have scored one then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think I’ve found myself a new lucky CAFC polo shirt.

Been wearing it to the office on Tuesdays when the Addicks are playing.

2-0 win at Walsall followed by a 5-0 win this afternoon...

It’s going in the wash tonight and maybe I’ll have to start wearing it on Saturdays...
  • Options
    razil said:

No highlights show (of course)?

If I’d gone he would have played less first teamers and we would have lost

They’re on BBC Sports app. 5 charlton goals in their finest glory
  • Options
    That fourth goal is an absolute beauty.
  • Options
    Had to work so couldn’t make it, but struggling some of the scores being given. Find it hard to understand how you can win a game 5-0 but only two players were worthy of a 7 or higher!
  • Options
    Wrong again happyvalley 😀😀
  • Options
    Name on the cup
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR

Re Stephenson being outpaced. I think this was the instance that the commentators on Valley live said there was a blatant pull back and could not believe the officials missed it.
  • Options
    Great result although we well and truly rode our luck in the 1st half. 42% possession, they hit the post when it may have been easier to score.
    Second half a different story, we cut out the errors and generally went up a gear, except Taylor who seemed to be on it from the off.
    Some very pleasing finishes, but LB was spot on in post match interview."it never felt like it was a 5-0 game", but it was so we take it and move on to Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018

Had to work so couldn’t make it, but struggling some of the scores being given. Find it hard to understand how you can win a game 5-0 but only two players were worthy of a 7 or higher!

Same here, Taylor gets a hatrick but getting ratings as low as 8
  • Options
    Got the kids making a tin foil model of the cup , ready for that big weekend in May !!
  • Options
    It didn't feel like a 5-0 game but we made 5 or 6 clear chances (taking 4) and scored a goal out of nothing. Our attacking play came in bursts but when it did, it was clinical. Mansfield's excellent pressing in the 1st half left them short of energy in the 2nd. Yes, the ref helped us at a crucial time for 3-0 but after that, they couldn't get near us.

Lots of good performances...Taylor, Ajose, Lapslie, Sarr, Bauer, Clarke and all of our subs did well too.

Mansfield have played well but have paid the price for not putting us away in the first match. Such is the cup....
  • Options
    Agree that the score flattered us. Said to my daughter that she wouldn't see that happen very often. Taylor's lob of the goalie was fantastic. Is it too early to talk about player of the year? We'll miss him against Rovers.
    Thought everyone did their bit yesterday and at times after the first goal in the first half we were terrible. Was sat near Flitcroft and his assistant and they were top entertainment, forever getting in the 4th official's ear. After our third they were understandably livid and I could hear one of them saying "I don't want it explained" really loudly. Usually it's us on the end of this sort of inept refereeing, though he was conned by a couple of their players, especially Danny Rose.
  • Options
    I liked Bowyer's words from the win as he really compliments Mansfield and the way they played, hopefully the heavy defeat hasn't damaged their confidence too much and will just return to normality in the League now; I imagine it wont do much seeing as they took CJ Hamilton off quite early which felt as though they were conceding us the win by making that move

Dont usually like beating a lower league team by so many goals (Especially the amount that Doncaster got last night), I know its beneficial for our own confidence yet always feels like the bully has gone beyond beating up the little kid and is starting to humiliate them!!
  • Options
    Taylor's third goal was very reminiscent of Claus Jensen.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    RedChaser
    November 20 pre match

ForeverAddickted said:
    » show previous quotes
    Dont forget he wont be able to play against Bristol Rovers due to his suspension so keeps him match fit ahead of the trip up to Burton Albion next Tuesday

Good shout FA and as I'll be at Burton I want Taylor to be sharp to continue his scoring run after netting again tonight :-)

Told ya! :-)

Edit; before anyone asks, I don't do lottery numbers :-)
  • Options

I liked Bowyer's words from the win as he really compliments Mansfield and the way they played, hopefully the heavy defeat hasn't damaged their confidence too much and will just return to normality in the League now; I imagine it wont do much seeing as they took CJ Hamilton off quite early which felt as though they were conceding us the win by making that move

Dont usually like beating a lower league team by so many goals (Especially the amount that Doncaster got last night), I know its beneficial for our own confidence yet always feels like the bully has gone beyond beating up the little kid and is starting to humiliate them!!

They should be alright @ForeverAddicted. We got similarly hammered at Fulham in our record breaking return to the Championship which didn't affect us cos it was a case of 'FA Cup who gives fcuk we're Charlton Athletic and we're going up' :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Because for the 1st half (from the 25 mins we saw) we were absolutely pants. We didn't have a shot at all.....not even miles off target....and Mansfield were passing & moving as if they were Man City. They missed a sitter & had numorous other (half) chances. We scored a 2nd with our only chance of the 2nd half & then Mansfield ran out of steam with 15 to go.

First half marks would be in the 4-6 range....2nd half 6-7 with only Taylor worth anymore than that.

Sometimes you'll find it helps of you actually go to a game to find out why players get certain marks :smile: (edited...just saw thst you had to work so not a dig at you)