Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gordon Taylor

Comments

• Options
    I can only assume Paul Elliott was referring to the Richard Rufus dealings. What happened to Rufus in the end??
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

I can only assume Paul Elliott was referring to the Richard Rufus dealings. What happened to Rufus in the end??

God was his judge.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Rudders22 said:

God was his judge.
    and he's still considering the verdict.
  • Options
    clive said:

Paul Elliott has resigned as a trustee of the Professional Footballers' Association.

The former Aston Villa, Celtic and Chelsea defender was reappointed as one of the charity's nine trustees in September 2015, having resigned after only two months in the post in 2013.

On Thursday, he resigned for a second time, saying the move was because of his personal finances.

"We wish him well while he works through these issues," the PFA said.

"I was victim to a financial fraud several years ago," Elliott said.

"I lost a significant amount of money and as part of my efforts to clear my obligations, which I take incredibly seriously, I explored entering into a financial arrangement that I knew might impact on my eligibility as a trustee of the PFA.

"On seeking initial legal advice, I was informed that the arrangement would not impact upon the eligibility criteria. However, following further clarification from the Charity Commission, it was confirmed that it would cause an issue. I therefore chose to resign my position as a trustee."

The PFA and its charity arm have been under scrutiny in recent weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46407062
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/30/fresh-blow-pfa-paul-elliott-resigns-trustee-charity-commissions/
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/30/paul-elliot-leaves-pfa-charity-breaching-charity-commission

Is Rufus to blame for this?
  • Options
    An opportunity for Chris Powell?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Apparently all his bank accounts have reached the maximum amounts permitted.
  • Options
    Would the term "useless piece of shit" be to strong?
  • Options
    Would the term "useless piece of shit" be to strong?
    What’s that opinion based on? 
  • Options
    That’s a genuine question by the way, not being sarky 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    No problem AND why I asked the question.  Just comes/came across as someone who has sat on the fence and watched football go down the toilet.  Not that he is the only culprit but does he leave a legacy worth leaving? 
  • Options
    Stayed on too long, I think his reputation 20 years ago was pretty positive
  • Options
    How did this person cling on to power,trousering 2m a year for so long,something obviously not right.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    No problem AND why I asked the question.  Just comes/came across as someone who has sat on the fence and watched football go down the toilet.  Not that he is the only culprit but does he leave a legacy worth leaving? 
    Always thought he was utterly useless and not interested in a number of issues - comes across terribly when interviewed. How on earth he's kept his job and trousered such a large amount of cash is pretty amazing. Must be an opening for him in FIFA.

Harry Redknapp speaks highly of him - I think that says it all.
  • Options
    Parasite 
  • Options
    They have a few bob in the bank but hardly contributed to the investigation into early onset demetia which is getting more common with ex players.

Saw Chris Sutton on BT a few months ago slagging him off because of that and that the PFA offered no help for his father who now suffers from it.

• Options
    Stayed on too long, I think his reputation 20 years ago was pretty positive
    He would probably disagree with you about that given his salary. I do know what you mean though - there was a time when you saw a lot of him in relation to issues. To be honest about him, most of us had forgotten he was there in recent years. For a job with that salary, it seems reasonably easy!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I wonder if there's any union in the world where one member earns 350 thousand a week and another earns £100 pound a week ? (Under 19 in lower leagues)

Gordon Taylor seemed to be giving comments on issues and appearing in the media on a regular basis in the early part of his tenure but in recent times despite earning 2 million per annum had became about holding on too his job, and not about the myriad of issues facing ex pros as they retire in their 30's.

A recently retired articulate player with an understanding of the shock to the system when the adrenaline rush of match days and the camaraderie of team mates vanish and the real world of standing on your own two feet enters your life, maybe for the first time since they were six and first attached to a pro club, would be a good choice for this high profile position.

A salary of 1 million a year would surely interest an ex player from League 1 or 2 and who has the skill set to tackle issues from historic sex scandals by coaches to retraining and learning new skills outside the insular world of football. ( Ex premier shouldn't have money problems but may have mental health issues concerning the loss of their status)
  • Options
    He probably realised that the better he was at his job, the more pressure there would be to get rid of him. I mean, where does his salary ultimately come from?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    They have a few bob in the bank but hardly contributed to the investigation into early onset demetia which is getting more common with ex players.

Saw Chris Sutton on BT a few months ago slagging him off because of that and that the PFA offered no help for his father who now suffers from it.

As one player said the other day 'he claims to be determined to research dementia in football yet the PFA funding for the research is less than 8% of his own salary'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he's going at the end of the season AND NOT BEFORE TIME .. Gordon Taylor: PFA chief executive to stand down at end of season - BBC Sport
  • Options
    he's going at the end of the season AND NOT BEFORE TIME .. Gordon Taylor: PFA chief executive to stand down at end of season - BBC Sport
    Good, he's long past his sell-by date. He should have retired 10 years ago at 65
  • Options
    2m a year at 75 years old for doing FA,the man is a parasite.
  • Options
    What a useless prick.
  • Options
    If you asked me who I dislike most in football he would top the list. A complete scumbag.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    He had been in charge longer than Putin in Russia. There should be a set period. 
    A 40 year stay reeks of cronyism and looks so undemocratic.

5 year period and you only stay 5 more years if you have improved the lot of ex players from the Last Century who didn't earn a million a month like the current superstars.

Taylor earning millions while ex players his age were hard up was a disgrace. 

The salary should be 200k Max and the rest of the salary  should go into the ex players funds who become crippled because of the injections they received into joints on a regular basis and dementia which in some cases would have come earlier because of heading the ball in training and match days.

• Options
    didn't SCP once have a job at the PFA - maybe time for him to get the top job there
  • Options
    Gordon Taylor seems universally unpopular. Always enjoyed Simon Jordan ripping him to shreds on the radio.
  • Options
    the amazing thing is, how did he keep the job for sooooo long .. a man who MUST know where a lot of bodies are buried ((:>)
  • Options
    the amazing thing is, how did he keep the job for sooooo long .. a man who MUST know where a lot of bodies are buried ((:>)
    You may be onto something!