Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Disparnumerophobia

2»

Comments

• Options
    Uboat said:

Riviera said:

I think this comes from watching the Test Card as a kid

Oh and I've always prefered odd numbers, find even numbers smug.

I can't relate to most of your post, but it's nice to know I wasn't the only child to watch the testcard and I couldn't agree more about those bastard even numbers. Who do they think they are?

I can't remember exactly when it was, but there was a point when it occurred to me that everyone is a bit weird, which is absolutely fine.
    It is the ones who pretend they are completely straight/non-weird who you have to worry about it.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    i have the even numbers thing as well but that's the smallest of my weird quirks... If I were to walk on three drains in a row in my mind something bad will happen - not necessarily world ending but if I accidentally do it and Charlton lose that day? Well in my lunatic brain then it's on me.

I also have to (HAVE TO) touch door handles with both hands if i want to open them or I will feel out of balance.

Oh and don't even get me STARTED on the bizarre rituals i go through when I see a magpie (groups of them are even worse as I have to address them all individually...) Had to come to terms with my oddness and occasionally looking like a prat in public a long time ago!
  • Options
    Stig said:

I've got a colleague who is obsessed with he number 4. I don't think it's a fear of odd numbers just a compulsion to do things in sets of four.

I've got another colleague with koumpounophobia - look it up it's a real thing but sounds absolutely mad. She doesn't get much sympathy and prefers not to talk about it because everyone takes the piss.

Steve Jobs apparently had koumpounophobia (Hello touch screens!)
    Tell your colleague, she may not feel so bad.

I've gone through life with various superstitions, but no out & out phobia I can think of.

Many moons ago, I did however have an odd superstition of not watching old repeat episodes of Grange Hill (that used to be shown on a Sunday), because eveytime I seemed to, I would get bullied quite severely in school the following week.

I was quite the portly chap, & got picked on anyway, but always seemed harsher if I did watch the show - bizarrely.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

sam3110 said:

I have a similar thing with the volume of my TV etc. There are numbers that it is allowed to be on and that's it. Those numbers are 0, 5, 8, 11, 15, 19, 25, 33, 50, 66, 75, 100. No other numbers are allowed

Interesting that you don't allow 31 or 10 a look in
    Both too close to 11 and 33 respectively, though weirdly both are in my lottery numbers, alongside 11, but not 33
  • Options
    Petrol pumps !

I have to finish on an even number.
    As the price has gone up in recent years it's harder to stop exactly on £40 but will go up to £40.10 or 20 or 30 etc, if I miss the round pound number.
    When buying the 'i paper' which now costs 60p I will try to stop at £39.40p.

Life is a numbers game.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I have some weird traits with numbers and other things. If someone says a number or a year then I have a mental picture of these numbers. For example I see 1-10 in a vertical line going up from 1. At 10 the line then goes right horizontally until 20 and then comes down vertically from 21 - 100 and then starts again from 101 etc etc So in 2018 as we are in my mind we are on the horizontal line before we drop down in 2021.
    I also see days of the week as various coloured rectangles:

Sunday: Dark yellow thick vertical
    Monday: Light yellow thin vertical
    Tuesday: Light blue thin vertical
    Wednesday: Yellow thin horizontal
    Thursday: Thick navy vertical
    Friday: Pink thin vertical
    Saturday: Black thick horizontal

I think this comes from watching the Test Card as a kid and also being a stickler for routine. I used to go one of my Nan's on Tuesdays and Thursday pre-school and this was sort of drummed into me and if I ever had to go there on a Wednesday or any other different day I would get upset.
    I also associate certain meals with days of the week and really don't feel comfortable changing. I don't have the same meals every week but for example if I was to have sausage and mash or lamb chops and mash I will only have that on a Tuesday for example.

Fascinating post, Riv. It's interesting that the Daniel Tammet video that Raith posted has paintings of his synesthetic connections in it, because I was thinking it would be great if you could commit these associations to paint.

I love the painting Hyena Stomp by Frank Stella (currently in Tate Liverpool, but often shown in the London Tates) which depicts the syncopations in the song of the same name by Jelly Roll Morton.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Mother-in-law suffers from a touch of this, especially with volume controls. I always thought I was immune to this kind of thing, although as someone involved in electronic design, I have always preferred binary factors of 2 as it makes life easier. However I have recently changed cars and realised that I always used to set the climate control to a x.5 value and the fact that in the new motor has only integer values is seriously pissing me off. The vagaries of the human mind never ceases to surprise me
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Stig said:

Riviera said:

I have some weird traits with numbers and other things. If someone says a number or a year then I have a mental picture of these numbers. For example I see 1-10 in a vertical line going up from 1. At 10 the line then goes right horizontally until 20 and then comes down vertically from 21 - 100 and then starts again from 101 etc etc So in 2018 as we are in my mind we are on the horizontal line before we drop down in 2021.

I think this comes from watching the Test Card as a kid and also being a stickler for routine. I used to go one of my Nan's on Tuesdays and Thursday pre-school and this was sort of drummed into me and if I ever had to go there on a Wednesday or any other different day I would get upset.
    I also associate certain meals with days of the week and really don't feel comfortable changing. I don't have the same meals every week but for example if I was to have sausage and mash or lamb chops and mash I will only have that on a Tuesday for example.

Fascinating post, Riv. It's interesting that the Daniel Tammet video that Raith posted has paintings of his synesthetic connections in it, because I was thinking it would be great if you could commit these associations to paint.

I love the painting Hyena Stomp by Frank Stella (currently in Tate Liverpool, but often shown in the London Tates) which depicts the syncopations in the song of the same name by Jelly Roll Morton.

I really like that painting but don't know the song. Even if I did i don't think I'd be able or want to link the two.
  • Options
    I can't say that I can link the two, but it fascinates me that that someone else can. I don't think you'd like the song anyway Henry; bit too jazzy for your tastes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Petrol pumps !

I have to finish on an even number.
    As the price has gone up in recent years it's harder to stop exactly on £40 but will go up to £40.10 or 20 or 30 etc, if I miss the round pound number.
    When buying the 'i paper' which now costs 60p I will try to stop at £39.40p.

Life is a numbers game.

Nothing more irritating to when you want to spend £10 for example...

The price is on £9.98 then £9.99 then... £10.01!!
  • Options
    I have a few issues here, has to be even numbers for me in my life no matter what, clockwise as well, I cannot walk around Bluewater in an anti clockwise direction from the entrance I walk in.
  • Options
    car sterio/tv i always have on an even number.
  • Options

Without a doubt, the climate control in my car as well, none of this 15, 17, or 19 lark, nor 21.5!!!

Good solid 16, 18, 20, or 22 for me.
  • Options

Without a doubt, the climate control in my car as well, none of this 15, 17, or 19 lark, nor 21.5!!!

Good solid 16, 18, 20, or 22 for me.
    yep to both of these !
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Riviera said:

That's impressive.

I have a very weird thing were I smell in colours. When I try to describe a smell (especially perfumes) I associate the smell with a colour.

• Options
    Just following on from my buddy with the time issue, he also has to try and get everything to a round number. This is his worst nightmare
  • Options
    I need everything to be an even number, so you can imagine my annoyance when i discovered i had a 7 inch todger.

Thank god for penis reduction surgery.

I am now five inches, happy and divorced.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Just following on from my buddy with the time issue, he also has to try and get everything to a round number. This is his worst nightmare

At £3.99 a gallon, I think my disparnumerophobia wouldn't be a problem.