Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Copa Libertadores final

Comments

• Options
    The delayed 2020 tournament has reached the final, to be played in 2 weeks time.

Palmeiras will play Santos in an all Brazilian final to be held at the Maracana.
    They each finished top of their group and after the knockout rounds eventually qualified for the final this week by beating River Plate and Boca Juniors respectively.

No crowds is a bad thing at all levels of football but it’s a real shame there won’t be a crowd for this one. The last few finals have highlighted the amazing atmosphere in South America and have generally been good games too.

The game will once again be on BBC (most likely website only), Saturday 30th - 8pm kickoff (UK time).
    I would love to go to a game in Buenos Aires, for pure passion this must be one of the best places in the world to watch a game.

Perhaps @RedPanda can vouch for this?
  • Options
    Stupidly, I was in Argentina in the off season so only saw Argentina v Canada at Monumental. Was an okay atmosphere but not a patch on what I imagine domestic games are like. 

I found Brazilian atmospheres either damp squibs or bloody brilliant. I think they're a bit more selective about what games they really turn up to than Argentinian fans.
  • Options
    Really great memories of watching the final between River Plate and Boca Juniors at the Bernabéu in 2018. Unbelievable atmosphere both in the stadium and also in the hours before the game outside the stadium. Definitely one of best football experiences ever!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Stupidly, I was in Argentina in the off season so only saw Argentina v Canada at Monumental. Was an okay atmosphere but not a patch on what I imagine domestic games are like. 

I found Brazilian atmospheres either damp squibs or bloody brilliant. I think they're a bit more selective about what games they really turn up to than Argentinian fans.
    Agreed. Vasco v Flamengo was electric.  

I was in Buenos Aires a week after their mid-season break.  That was VERY frustrating as you could do loads of games in a week.

Boca aside, I'd like to tick San Lorenzo and Independiente.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Pre match at the Avellenada Derby in Buenos Aires. Racing v Independiente. 

https://youtu.be/0tGIt8NldTM
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I went to Fluminense v Goias and the atmosphere was completely flat, but that's understandable as it's not a big game and Goias only had about 10 away fans.

Would imagine that when they're playing their big derby v Flamengo or one of the other Rio sides then it'd be quality. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I went to Fluminense v Goias and the atmosphere was completely flat, but that's understandable as it's not a big game and Goias only had about 10 away fans.

Would imagine that when they're playing their big derby v Flamengo or one of the other Rio sides then it'd be quality. 

Was this played at Fluminese's ground or the Maracana?
    Due to the size of the country you get very little away support outside of derby games.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I went to a San Lorenzo game in Buenos Aires, the fans were great especially for a low key match. Boca were playing at home while I was there and it was the game they won the title, tried to get tickets but seems they've really clamped down on the reselling to tourists which while annoying I can respect. 

Did get slightly lost after the game and ended up walking through a very rough barrio, my heart rate was quite high when I saw a roadblock with armed police checking every car entering and leaving the area. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Was this played at Fluminese's ground or the Maracana?
    Due to the size of the country you get very little away support outside of derby games.
    Maracana.

True but i thought (perhaps naively) that you might get a bunch of Goias fans who'd relocated to Rio for work, who'd turn up. Definitely not the case.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    RedPanda said:

I went to a San Lorenzo game in Buenos Aires, the fans were great especially for a low key match. Boca were playing at home while I was there and it was the game they won the title, tried to get tickets but seems they've really clamped down on the reselling to tourists which while annoying I can respect. 

Did get slightly lost after the game and ended up walking through a very rough barrio, my heart rate was quite high when I saw a roadblock with armed police checking every car entering and leaving the area. 

Unless things have changed I gather away fans are not allowed in for derby games.  However, hotels can get tickets for you if you contact them in advance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    RedPanda said:

Unless things have changed I gather away fans are not allowed in for derby games.  However, hotels can get tickets for you if you contact them in advance.
    Yeah so when we went the only way to get tickets to a game at the Bombonera was through an agency for tourists as all seats are season ticket only. Apparently they have a new club president who vowed to stop the tourists getting in. As I said annoying for us but if that was my club I'd absolutely want that
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    RedPanda said:

Yeah so when we went the only way to get tickets to a game at the Bombonera was through an agency for tourists as all seats are season ticket only. Apparently they have a new club president who vowed to stop the tourists getting in. As I said annoying for us but if that was my club I'd absolutely want that

I went on a tour which was good.  It would have been a lot better as we were not allowed on the pitch and in the changing rooms.  The reason, they were staging weddings that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    RedPanda said:

Pre match at the Avellenada Derby in Buenos Aires. Racing v Independiente. 

https://youtu.be/0tGIt8NldTM

Racing's ground is two minutes walk from Independiente's.  I'd like to know how they would seperate fans once away supporters are allowed in!
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    RedPanda said:

I went on a tour which was good.  It would have been a lot better as we were not allowed on the pitch and in the changing rooms.  The reason, they were staging weddings that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah we did the tour but it was just before they played in the libertadores so also didn't see the changing rooms. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Agreed. Vasco v Flamengo was electric.  

I was in Buenos Aires a week after their mid-season break.  That was VERY frustrating as you could do loads of games in a week.

Boca aside, I'd like to tick San Lorenzo and Independiente.
    Independiente has the least impressive atmosphere out of Argentina's bigger clubs but would definitely recommend San Lorenzo. Incredible experience.

Their fans have been in a decades-long battle to get the club back to their home neighbourhood and stadium after going into rack and ruin in the 70s and 80s. Reminded me of our supporter-led struggle to get back to The Valley so San Lorenzo became my adopted team when I lived out there. Amazing club to be part of.

Brazil is a mixed bag but Buenos Aires and Argentina in general is probably the best place in the world to watch football. 

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    RedPanda said:

Yeah we did the tour but it was just before they played in the libertadores so also didn't see the changing rooms. 
    Must have known we were English!
  • Options
    I'll definitely go back over there for football one year.  Staying in San Telmo was very pleasant as a base.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Yep - I went to Fla-Flu game at the Maracana a few years ago. Was a cracking atmosphere. We were in with the Mengo fans.

Was right up there with a full house at Sincil Bank.
  • Options

Palmeiras and Santos meet on Saturday in only the third all-Brazilian Copa Libertadores final - a match you can watch live on BBC Sport.

The game, which kicks off at 20:00 GMT at Rio's Maracana is being streamed on the BBC Red Button, BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website and app from 19:50.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55856761

• Options
    not sure they could put many more sponsors on their shirts. waiting for company's to get players to have tattoos sponsoring their products. 

and what is that Cuca bloke wearing?? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not sure they could put many more sponsors on their shirts. waiting for company's to get players to have tattoos sponsoring their products. 

and what is that Cuca bloke wearing?? 
    It’s a bold look!
  • Options
    Christ, this is boring.
  • Options
    I assume it’s penalties and extra time if it’s a draw after 90 mins?
  • Options
    Cuca’s gone!
  • Options
    Talk about leaving it late
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cuca’s gone!
    Haha he got sent of and asked the ref to check VAR 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cuca’s gone!
    Haha he got sent of and asked the ref to check VAR 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    And then jumped into the the crowd, blokes a nutter! 
  • Options
    Are these just random fans on the pitch with the players?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Are these just random fans on the pitch with the players?
    Yeah