Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coping with driving test nerves?

Comments

• Options
    Doing my lessons one Saturday morning my instructor asked me if I'd been taking lessons from another company because I was driving flawlessly. I reassured him that I hadn't and was just still a bit pissed from the night before. He just told me to do that the night before my test so I did and bingo, I passed.

I also spent ages constantly refreshing the website for available test times at my preferred test centre (Belvedere) until I got a nice 9am Saturday morning test. Roads were really quiet which made it heaps easier.
  • Options
    Easy to say but it’s just a driving test mate. Worst case, do it again. There are some stressful things in life, that ain’t really one. In a few months you’ll be sitting in traffic wondering why you bothered!!!
  • Options
    Easy to say, but ignore the fact it’s a test. The boy passed his recently and my advice to him was try and pretend it was me and him on a practice. Its a bizarre thing, but a driving test is the easiest thing to fail even if you are good. You can be the safest driver in the world but if some twat pulls out in front of you during your test you can fail. Try and accept that it’s in the lap of the Gods and go with the flow. And good luck! I passed at 17 and I don’t think I would have had the enthusiasm to learn in my 30s
  • Options

Managed to pass on my 7th attempt, having my wife on the verge of labor with our first baby and threatening divorce if I didn’t drive her to hospital probably helped. She went into labor on the night I passed, shock, pure relief or coincidence you decide

Politics..?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I passed second time - My son passed first time only recently. The advice we gave him was it isn't like a GCSE, you can retake it quickly if you fail.
  • Options

I passed second time - My son passed first time only recently. The advice we gave him was it isn't like a GCSE, you can retake it quickly if you fail.

Nothing like being positive eh? @MuttleyCAFC
  • Options
    Well, he passed. I think a lot of people put too much pressure on themselves with driving tests. I mean, you can take it again in a few weeks! That is as good a reason not to get too bothered about it you can get.
  • Options
    I used to be a driving instructor, I taught for 8 years, I loved the job but had to give it up because the income was too unpredictable.

For my nervous pupils I got them to break the test down into two elements, not a 40 minute driving test but two 20 min drives. After 30-50 hours of driving tuition the pupil should be familiar with the area that they will be taking their test and will be able to identify when they are at the furthest point from the test center, which will usually be about 20 minutes in. After this they are in the home straight, as long as nothing major has happened all they have to do is drive back to the test center at which point the route and roads will be familiar so would put them at ease.

Remember - just a 20 minutes drive plus a journey back.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Best thing to do is take as many lessons as you can. I had about 30 lessons before I passed first time. Also helped that I had an absolute c*** of a driving instructor who scared me shitless into passing first time! Remember getting kicked out of the car after cocking up my emergency stop for the 4th time during one lesson.

My instructor told me he found most pupils needed as many lessons as their age - and in my case he was pretty well spot on. Despite being nervous as hell I managed somehow to pass first time with the car, having failed twice about 10 years earlier on my motor bike.

I think any prior road use - pushbike or motorbike for example - is valuable in giving you road sense (and hopefully road manners) which helps, but as a novice driver your mind will inevitably still be full of the mechanics of clutch, gears, mirrors, etc. which will eventually become second nature.

Good luck next time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am shocked at the amount of times some you took to pass, no wonder the roads are full of bad drivers πŸ˜€
  • Options
    I remember having a lesson immediately before my test and I was bloody terrible, my instructor thought I had no chance but I passed 1st time.

So maybe that's the trick, take a lesson just before and get all the bad habits and nerves out the way.
  • Options

I am shocked at the amount of times some you took to pass, no wonder the roads are full of bad drivers πŸ˜€

I think the worst drivers are generally the people who think they are the best drivers.
  • Options

I think the worst drivers are generally the people who think they are the best drivers.
    whoooooooshhhhh
  • Options
    valium
  • Options
    If nerves are an issue it never hurts to knock one out half and hour before you set off. If you mess up during the test pull over and repeat the process.
  • Options
    Passed 2nd time when i was 17, i think the best advice is to get the examiner talking as its so much less nerve wracking and if they're talking to you they are invariably paying less attention to minor details. Also as others have said, the world isn't going to stop if you fail, just keep going until you get it! Good Luck!
  • Options
    The test itself is not difficult to pass, its just easy to fail :neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The test itself is not difficult to pass, its just easy to fail :neutral:

I think that sounds stupid, but it is true. There are many unlucky things that can happen that can make it much harder, or it can go like a breeze. Again, if you try and try again if needed, you will get a good day.
  • Options
    I passed first time and I'm a useless driver. In fact, I can't stand driving.
  • Options
    On my first test the examiner had to slam on his breaks 2 minutes into the test. When I passed on my third test the woman grabbed the wheel and swerved when a parked car pulled out on me, I argued with her that I was already mid swerve and clearly saw it coming hence my reaction. I got a bit animated when she tried to fail me at the end, she actually changed her mind when I'd explained my point. Wasn't expecting that. So maybe try kick off a bit!
  • Options

I remember having a lesson immediately before my test and I was bloody terrible, my instructor thought I had no chance but I passed 1st time.

So maybe that's the trick, take a lesson just before and get all the bad habits and nerves out the way.

Not sure when that was but with a driving instructor there will usually be a lesson before the test these days.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Turn in the road has gone but this driving instructor knows what he is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBPsowN-XKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liExsNrsF_o
  • Options
    passing my driving test at 17 with no minor faults I'm going to say was a landmark achievement for me and one I remain proud of

I had 13 lessons and went out practising with my mum loads who showed remarkable patience with me as I thought I could drive the moment I sat my arse down in the drivers seat

What I did do when booking my test was listen to every bit of advice I was given and picked out a couple of key details

Allegedly test centres don't like to get a reputation for passing everyone so by the end of the working week if they had a lot of passes the examiners were rumoured to be a bit overly officious. Also, driving tests can be stressful, so doing one in rush hour wouldnt be conductive to calming yourself down. Easy thought I, test booked for 10.30 on a Monday morning!

Another useful piece of advice was to genuinely keep a proper eye on all of your mirrors, it's a habit I have kept to this day 19 years later. When you are doing these mirror checks, move your head slightly so it is clear to the examiner you are alert and aware of your surroundings and other road users. I'm not saying don't check your mirrors but if you get in a habit of every 3 seconds drawing a right angle triangle with your head even if you aren't looking in all of your mirrors, I believe that went a long way, in fact I remember the examiner commenting and saying he was impressed with my awareness.

Take your instructor in the car with you, I had heard loads of horror stories about examiners failing people for ridiculous reasons and I wasn't having that happen without a qualified eye witness.

Take the test in an area known to you, the rumour was when I was learning to drive was Tunbridge Wells passed everyone. Fuck that, if I needed to drive there to pass I'd have been worrying about different road layouts and having to think about where I might end up. Doing it in Gilingham I knew the roads well already, stay local.

I put loads of pressure on myself to pass and felt failing it would have been letting myself and my instructor down (he was a lovely bloke but capable of genuinely frightening me) as well as my mum who had put up with me thinking I was Colin McRae. In hindsight I would still have put that pressure on myself as with any test you want to aim to pass it and have confidence you can do so. So load the dice in your favour. Get a good night's sleep beforehand, a healthy amount of pressure is fine, it keeps you sharp and focussed, do a mock test with your instructor, take or ignore my advice I feel the little things add up and give you a few less things to worry about
  • Options

This!!!!
    The standard of driving in this country is appalling, well in London anyway. Not just driving but the way people park up these days, on double yellows, zig-zags etc and think if they put their hazards on that makes it ok. Corners cut, tailgating, driving whilst using phones, lights jumped, undertaking, cutting in etc etc...
  • Options
    Riviera said:

This!!!!
    The standard of driving in this country is appalling, well in London anyway. Not just driving but the way people park up these days, on double yellows, zig-zags etc and think if they put their hazards on that makes it ok. Corners cut, tailgating, driving whilst using phones, lights jumped, undertaking, cutting in etc etc...
    Yep
  • Options
    Have a couple of drinks beforehand to steady your nerves.
  • Options

Have a couple of drinks beforehand to steady your nerves.

Not sure if that's a good idea. But I'm sure someone has had a small bit of dutch courage in the past and will do so again in the future.