Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paraplegic man drags himself through airport

124»

Comments

• Options

Hex said:

Addickted said:

A reasonable alternative was offered as a temporary measure. Not ideal, but an suitable option whilst he waited for his chair to be returned. He chose not to take it.

He then chose to drag himself around the airport on his arse with two mates filming him from different angles.

He then talks about suing the airport.

Tending to side with @Lincsaddick on this one.

People with major handicaps get well pissed off at repeated “reasonable alternative temporary measures”.....they come up against that attitude time and time again and from time to time they have enough and understandably lash out.
    There should be powered wheelchairs at ALL airports as a matter of course.
    My very elderly aunt had never driven anything until she purchased an electric scooter. Having heard about and witnessed her ability to control it I shudder to think about the mayhem she would cause in an airport.
    We are talking about electric wheelchairs ‘not’ electric scooters......an entirely different means of transportation.
    I know but her inability to control/stear would have had a similar effect.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

What happens to them battery powered buggies that took people from A to B at airports? Are they not seen as acceptable ?

Many people with disabilities are
    fiercely independent (especially an Olympic competitor) and would find the prospect of being strapped into a chair and wheeled around like they are helpless incredibly offensive and belittling.
    Much better to drag yourself around on the floor and make a scene so that everyone notices
    And the thing that you want to happen to actually does happen... So, yes. Much better. Much, much better.
  • Options
    Had he been campaigning about more wheelchair availability at airports or was this a spur of the moment thing?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

My understanding is that this isn't just about powered wheelchairs, but one that he could have self-propelled. It makes him sound petty to imply he's just after a deluxe chair. I don't think that's it at all.

He's got himself into a mindset where he's accepted his situation and owned it. To him, moving himself around is hugely important to that mindset. Being pushed around in what looks like a rusty old hospital wheelchair from the 1920s must feel shitty for him so he objected to it. He could push himself around in a luggage cart so he chose that option instead.

The filming of him dragging around the floor was a way to get the problem fixed for him and other people. I get why some might see that as cynical, but hey, it worked.

So if he had got his self-propelling wheelchair and had an accident, I wonder who would have been liable for any damages, him, or the airport that provided the wheelchair.
    I'll be honest, I don't really see the connection to the discussion!
    If an airport is liable for any damages that occur in one of their wheelchairs, I can totally understand why they'd only want to provide assisted wheelchairs.

I can also see why some would find being pushed around degrading, so it's hard to know who was in the right.
  • Options
    I'm glad this all got sorted but I think it's all rather sad that a person can't get anything changed unless they make a histrionic display of themselves on the internet and a company won't act to rectify their shortcomings unless they are made to look like an arse in the court of public opinion.
  • Options
    I'm glad the airport has decided to do the right thing and provide more and better wheelchairs.

And I'm also glad he dropped the litigation.

Because I wouldn't want to see this being dragged through court.
  • Options

Chizz said:

I'm glad the airport has decided to do the right thing and provide more and better wheelchairs.

And I'm also glad he dropped the litigation.

Because I wouldn't want to see this being dragged through court.

Do courts not have wheelchairs either?
    Yay! You got the joke!
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

My understanding is that this isn't just about powered wheelchairs, but one that he could have self-propelled. It makes him sound petty to imply he's just after a deluxe chair. I don't think that's it at all.

He's got himself into a mindset where he's accepted his situation and owned it. To him, moving himself around is hugely important to that mindset. Being pushed around in what looks like a rusty old hospital wheelchair from the 1920s must feel shitty for him so he objected to it. He could push himself around in a luggage cart so he chose that option instead.

The filming of him dragging around the floor was a way to get the problem fixed for him and other people. I get why some might see that as cynical, but hey, it worked.

So if he had got his self-propelling wheelchair and had an accident, I wonder who would have been liable for any damages, him, or the airport that provided the wheelchair.
    If an airport is liable for any damages that occur in one of their wheelchairs, I can totally understand why they'd only want to provide assisted wheelchairs.

I can also see why some would find being pushed around degrading, so it's hard to know who was in the right.
    You'd have a fair point if other airports didn't have them, bit as the article stated, the vast majority already have them. He himself claims to have never been to an airport without them (though he's probably overstating here, he usually has his own chair, so wouldn't need airport equipment), virgin say everywhere the fly into/out of has them, and Glasgow Prestwick tweeted they had them.

So it's not an insurmountable liability issue.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

You'd have a fair point if other airports didn't have them, bit as the article stated, the vast majority already have them. He himself claims to have never been to an airport without them (though he's probably overstating here, he usually has his own chair, so wouldn't need airport equipment), virgin say everywhere the fly into/out of has them, and Glasgow Prestwick tweeted they had them.

Yeah, it's not something I'm at all aware of, which is why I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question, although thsat certainly contradicts the experience of some earlier posters.

The only time I've come into contact with wheelchair use was when my mum visited me earlier in The year and got an assisted wheelchair at KM airport, but no way can China be any sort of standard setter when dealing with disabled people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018

attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I don’t get why that would be the first thing you think to write about this subject.

why worry about what I think of a disabled man refusing help for his issues and making a fuss by dragging himself along as if he were being persecuted .. instead, disclose what you think
    I’ll tell you what I think. I think it’s impossible to know the reasons why he chose to make his point the way he did at this point. Maybe they will be valid and maybe he was being awkward.

My problem and why I flagged you is because you immediately decided quite nastily to brand him an attention seeker and out to make a few quid in an out of court settlement. Despicable comment but that’s just my view.

attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I don’t get why that would be the first thing you think to write about this subject.

why worry about what I think of a disabled man refusing help for his issues and making a fuss by dragging himself along as if he were being persecuted .. instead, disclose what you think
    I’ll tell you what I think. I think it’s impossible to know the reasons why he chose to make his point the way he did at this point. Maybe they will be valid and maybe he was being awkward.

My problem and why I flagged you is because you immediately decided quite nastily to brand him an attention seeker and out to make a few quid in an out of court settlement. Despicable comment but that’s just my view.

your view and welcome to it .. keep waving those flags like a good boy scout
    So I flag a comment by you and explain why I think it’s nasty and unnecessary and you flag me twice for asking why your first thought was to accuse the disabled man of being a money grabber. Then start accusing me of about waving flags about.

You really are off beam mate.

I'll withdraw mine if you withdraw yours .. and by the way I am not your mate .. so next time think twice about 'flagging' in a situation in which you disagree with a valid comment even though it might be one you do not agree with .. you think his actions 'might be valid', I think that is laughable, but you're entitled to it
    Sorry. Your initial comment warrants a flag. Not going to withdraw it because it’s not that I disagree with it. ( which I do) it’s because it was a nasty and completely unnecessary thing to write. Quite happy to keep the TWO ridiculous flags you gave me. Ok mate ?

your view and welcome to it .. keep waving those flags like a good boy scout
    So I flag a comment by you and explain why I think it’s nasty and unnecessary and you flag me twice for asking why your first thought was to accuse the disabled man of being a money grabber. Then start accusing me of about waving flags about.

You really are off beam mate.

I'll withdraw mine if you withdraw yours .. and by the way I am not your mate .. so next time think twice about 'flagging' in a situation in which you disagree with a valid comment even though it might be one you do not agree with .. you think his actions 'might be valid', I think that is laughable, but you're entitled to it
    Sorry. Your initial comment warrants a flag. Not going to withdraw it because it’s not that I disagree with it. ( which I do) it’s because it was a nasty and completely unnecessary thing to write. Quite happy to keep the TWO ridiculous flags you gave me. Ok mate ?

don't mate me mate
    Lincs, I love you.

I'll see you Sunday mate.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah, it's not something I'm at all aware of, which is why I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question, although thsat certainly contradicts the experience of some earlier posters.

The only time I've come into contact with wheelchair use was when my mum visited me earlier in The year and got an assisted wheelchair at KM airport, but no way can China be any sort of standard setter when dealing with disabled people.
    Nice reply from you Stu......seems you have taken note of other posters views and have taken on board the way that disabled folk are often treated, not saying it’s done deliberately but often without much a fore thought.
  • Options
    It is great to have Lincs back, he'd been away too long.
  • Options

the feeling is reciprocated Elfs ((:>)
  • Options

Get a room you two. 😍
  • Options

Get a room you two. 😍
    Don't get jealous.