Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paraplegic man drags himself through airport

Comments

• Options

attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I don’t get why that would be the first thing you think to write about this subject.

why worry about what I think of a disabled man refusing help for his issues and making a fuss by dragging himself along as if he were being persecuted .. instead, disclose what you think
    I’ll tell you what I think. I think it’s impossible to know the reasons why he chose to make his point the way he did at this point. Maybe they will be valid and maybe he was being awkward.

My problem and why I flagged you is because you immediately decided quite nastily to brand him an attention seeker and out to make a few quid in an out of court settlement. Despicable comment but that’s just my view.

attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I don’t get why that would be the first thing you think to write about this subject.

why worry about what I think of a disabled man refusing help for his issues and making a fuss by dragging himself along as if he were being persecuted .. instead, disclose what you think
    I’ll tell you what I think. I think it’s impossible to know the reasons why he chose to make his point the way he did at this point. Maybe they will be valid and maybe he was being awkward.

My problem and why I flagged you is because you immediately decided quite nastily to brand him an attention seeker and out to make a few quid in an out of court settlement. Despicable comment but that’s just my view.

your view and welcome to it .. keep waving those flags like a good boy scout
    So I flag a comment by you and explain why I think it’s nasty and unnecessary and you flag me twice for asking why your first thought was to accuse the disabled man of being a money grabber. Then start accusing me of about waving flags about.

You really are off beam mate.

I'll withdraw mine if you withdraw yours .. and by the way I am not your mate .. so next time think twice about 'flagging' in a situation in which you disagree with a valid comment even though it might be one you do not agree with .. you think his actions 'might be valid', I think that is laughable, but you're entitled to it
    Sorry. Your initial comment warrants a flag. Not going to withdraw it because it’s not that I disagree with it. ( which I do) it’s because it was a nasty and completely unnecessary thing to write. Quite happy to keep the TWO ridiculous flags you gave me. Ok mate ?

So I flag a comment by you and explain why I think it’s nasty and unnecessary and you flag me twice for asking why your first thought was to accuse the disabled man of being a money grabber. Then start accusing me of about waving flags about.

I'll withdraw mine if you withdraw yours .. and by the way I am not your mate .. so next time think twice about 'flagging' in a situation in which you disagree with a valid comment even though it might be one you do not agree with .. you think his actions 'might be valid', I think that is laughable, but you're entitled to it
    Sorry. Your initial comment warrants a flag. Not going to withdraw it because it’s not that I disagree with it. ( which I do) it’s because it was a nasty and completely unnecessary thing to write. Quite happy to keep the TWO ridiculous flags you gave me. Ok mate ?

don't mate me mate
    Grow up
    mmm in your case it's not a case of childishness, more like senility .. it can be treated if you take action now
    That's the second time today you've suggested some sort of treatment to a poster on here. It was really classy the first time, too.

I'm more on your side of the debate, although I sort of wish I wasn't, just because of association.
    if people start to get verbally/typingly aggressive what ever the correct verb is, it suggests to me that they have mental health issues, especially when they make comments that they would not make except in the comfortable anonymity of a chat room .. and as to wishing not to be on 'my side' though grudgingly you are .. suit yourself
  • Options

don't mate me mate
    Grow up
    mmm in your case it's not a case of childishness, more like senility .. it can be treated if you take action now
    That's the second time today you've suggested some sort of treatment to a poster on here. It was really classy the first time, too.

I'm more on your side of the debate, although I sort of wish I wasn't, just because of association.
    if people start to get verbally/typingly aggressive what ever the correct verb is, it suggests to me that they have mental health issues, especially when they make comments that they would not make except in the comfortable anonymity of a chat room .. and as to wishing not to be on 'my side' though grudgingly you are .. suit yourself
    Showing annoyance is a sign of mental health issues? Are you absolutely sure?
  • Options

another sniper who can't read .. I used the term 'aggressive' not 'annoyance' .. now go sink back to the depths from whence you emerged .. (this string has got so long that the system can't post it)
  • Options

another sniper who can't read .. I used the term 'aggressive' not 'annoyance' .. now go sink back to the depths from whence you emerged .. (this string has got so long that the system can't post it)

No 'mate', the trouble is that you don't know the difference between aggression and annoyance.
  • Options
    When you land it takes a while for luggage to come through and stuff, then the aeroplane needs attention, maybe cleaning, fuel, a new crew, safety checks and so on.
    It doesn't seem realistic to me that the aeroplane had taken off minutes after it touched down. I don't understand why staff didn't return to the aeroplane and retrieve the wheelchair.
    I probably have it wrong regarding the turnaround of the aeroplane, but if the wheelchair was within reach as it were, possibly the bloke was upset because nobody could be arsed to go and get his wheelchair which might not have been that much to ask.
  • Options
    I bloody love this forum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

When you land it takes a while for luggage to come through and stuff, then the aeroplane needs attention, maybe cleaning, fuel, a new crew, safety checks and so on.
    It doesn't seem realistic to me that the aeroplane had taken off minutes after it touched down. I don't understand why staff didn't return to the aeroplane and retrieve the wheelchair.
    I probably have it wrong regarding the turnaround of the aeroplane, but if the wheelchair was within reach as it were, possibly the bloke was upset because nobody could be arsed to go and get his wheelchair which might not have been that much to ask.

Surely the wheelchair was left at the airport the plane took off from?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

No 'mate', the trouble is that you don't know the difference between aggression and annoyance.

Or arse and elbow ;0)
  • Options
    edited November 2018

seth plum said:

Surely the wheelchair was left at the airport the plane took off from?
    Fair enough then, if he had got on the plane expecting his chair to be in luggage or wherever they keep them, and it wasn't loaded in the first place there is a difficulty.
    Is that what happened?

Edit, it says it was 'left behind on a flight' which is a bit ambiguous.
  • Options
    Saveloy!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I feel the bloke's frustration but wonder exactly what else the poor sods who were dropped in it by the incompetent luggage people could do other than offer him an ordinary wheelchair if there was no other type available.

Offer him free use of a hospitality lounge until the lost luggage arrives but how does he get to the lounge?

There are no winners here.

If Luton Airport provide the type of wheelchairs he wanted to use, as he claims most other airports do, then he and other people with disabilities, are winners.
    There is nothing good about this story.

However I can provide a personal perspective on Gatwick, Heathrow and numerous overseas airports.

I have had to use an airport wheelchair frequently over the last couple of years. None of the many airports that I have used provide the type of wheelchair where you can propel yourself. They all have to be wheeled by airport staff.
  • Options
    Used to have a colleague, GB athlete, coached by her disabled father. Nice woman, committed, modest. Her Pa, polar opposite. Seemed to blame the world for his misfortune. Don't think he had a single friend in the world but his daughter. Sad. See similar locally. Fat blokes on 500kg mobility scooters playing chicken with pedestrians at 20mph.

But plenty of sad disabled cases marginalised by Tories and given zero support. Bedroom tax still operating despite Hammond giving more tax breaks to rich than poor after a decade of austerity.
  • Options

don't mate me mate
    Grow up

You've done the same before so assume it's okay to suggest you have mental health issues then.
  • Options

I bloody love this forum.

Yeah, it's like being back at school.
  • Options

Used to have a colleague, GB athlete, coached by her disabled father. Nice woman, committed, modest. Her Pa, polar opposite. Seemed to blame the world for his misfortune. Don't think he had a single friend in the world but his daughter. Sad. See similar locally. Fat blokes on 500kg mobility scooters playing chicken with pedestrians at 20mph.

But plenty of sad disabled cases marginalised by Tories and given zero support. Bedroom tax still operating despite Hammond giving more tax breaks to rich than poor after a decade of austerity.

Just when you think this thread couldn't get any more stupid! This is not a political thread and is a big red herring!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    LOL even I despise the Tories but that is a classic.

As AUN said, I bloody love this forum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree, those dam Tories. I'm surprised Ian Duncan Smith didn't order the police to shoot the man in the airport for being disabled, along with anyone on benefits. Must have cut the police too much to afford the bullets, those dam evil Tories.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Carter said:

Well that escalated quickly

Carter said:

Well that escalated quickly

problem is on here is that too many of the sensitive souls are incapable of disagreeing with an opinion without making a mountain from a molehill .. too many snipers and keyboard warriors without the wit to form their own opinion
    How on earth you came to the conclusion that he was just looking for a payout BEFORE knowing all the background of why he was protesting Is beyond me.
    You were pretty harsh in the way you wrote it too.
    I thought better of you to be honest.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I (fortunately) do not know the challenges of disability and feel sorry for the guys situation.

If his intent is to raise awareness for availability for suitable equipment in the future then he has achieved this.

However I struggle to see how it is “degrading” to have someone push you in a wheelchair but not degrading for you to drag yourself along an airport floor on your arse and then on a luggage cart.

As others have said - this may be 100% due to his natural competitive nature.....but the talk of suing the airport makes me wonder.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I (fortunately) do not know the challenges of disability and feel sorry for the guys situation.

If his intent is to raise awareness for availability for suitable equipment in the future then he has achieved this.

However I struggle to see how it is “degrading” to have someone push you in a wheelchair but not degrading for you to drag yourself along an airport floor on your arse and then on a luggage cart.

As others have said - this may be 100% due to his natural competitive nature.....but the talk of suing the airport makes me wonder.

Indeed and to expect airports to have different kinds of wheelchairs is a big ask ( they are not cheap)
    I wonder he how manages the toilets on board. For a big person they are awkward, for someone with a disability they must be a nightmare.
  • Options

Indeed and to expect airports to have different kinds of wheelchairs is a big ask ( they are not cheap)
    I wonder how manages the toilets on board. For a big person they are awkward, for someone with a disability they must be a nightmare.
    Not cost effective in the long term to have to find someone and then pay them to push people around.
    As and where appropriate a motorised chair should be available for those who prefer them.
  • Options

I wonder he how manages the toilets on board. For a big person they are awkward, for someone with a disability they must be a nightmare.
    The air travel industry and airport owners are not short of the cost of half a dozen wheelchairs that would allow a disabled person the ability to take control over their own mobility should they prefer.

I’m still not sure of this mans motives but I really don’t think we ought to blame the lack of self propelling wheelchairs as an alternative to relying on being pushed as being too expensive.

There are bottles of Scotch for sale at airports that are more expensive than the cheapest available independence chairs.

• Options
    They would be nicked within a week.