Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pantomime

Comments

• Do they still reference dwarves in the title these days?
  • Snow White at the London Palladium has s very good cast, normally Orchard at Dartford is good as well.

In a recent survey, 6 out of 7 dwarves weren't Happy
    No way,, I thought only one of them was Grumpy.
  • edited October 2018
    RedChaser said:

Have been to Greenwich the last 10 years or so and would thoroughly recommend it

Are you friends with the Big Bad Wolf yet? :wink:
    Interesting that early versions of Red Riding Hood differ from today's story (from QI). In the 18th century, her Granny (aka the wolf) asked her to strip and come into bed with him - with the intention of course of eating her. She only realised something was up when she said she needed a dump and 'Granny' suggested she do it in the bed! So she scarpered.
  • RedChaser said:

Have been to Greenwich the last 10 years or so and would thoroughly recommend it

Interesting that early versions of Red Riding Hood differ from today's story (from QI). In the 18th century, her Granny (aka the wolf) asked her to strip and come into bed with him - with the intention of course of eating her. She only realised something was up when she said she needed a dump and 'Granny' suggested she do it in the bed! So she scarpered.
    That’s a shame. I think that quite a lot would be added to the story by the inclusion of a scat based subtext.
  • Did anyone see the Channel 4 alternative Little Red Riding Hood last year, where she turnt out being a lesbian? Actually weren't a bad cartoon to be fair
  • RedChaser said:

That’s a shame. I think that quite a lot would be added to the story by the inclusion of a scat based subtext.
    I think it was 'Granny's' lack of etiquette that gave her away rather than the long nose, sharp teeth and fur!
  • Have to reccomend Greenwich theatre panto this year! Saw 'Robinson Crusoe' on Saturday and it's probably the best panto I have seen!
  • Have to reccomend Greenwich theatre panto this year! Saw 'Robinson Crusoe' on Saturday and it's probably the best panto I have seen!

Oh, no it isn't
  • Dick Whittington at the Lyric Hammersmith, is superb, no crap reality nonentities but hard working professionals from stage and TV (no big names).
    Matinees have the screaming kids, so recommend the evening shows where the topical gags are appreciated.
    (I'm bias as Samantha soapbox is in this panto)
  • Sponsored links:

My Mrs took her brownie unit there on Saturday and told me the same thing.

Yeah have to agree, we went last week and it was very good over two hours long as well, have also got tickets for Aladdin on Christmas eve at Catford Broadway.
  • Going to Greenwich on 27th, we've been going for years and it's always excellent. London Palladium have really pushed the boat out this year and I do fancy going to that too, went to a couple there in the early 70's; Tommy Steele in Hans Christian Anderson and Richard O'Sullivan in Cinderella.
  • Riviera said:

Going to Greenwich on 27th, we've been going for years and it's always excellent. London Palladium have really pushed the boat out this year and I do fancy going to that too, went to a couple there in the early 70's; Tommy Steele in Hans Christian Anderson and Richard O'Sullivan in Cinderella.

Off that! Just checked prices, very little change out of £500 for family of 4 for decent seats, plus travel and refreshments.
  • Get tickets for Alladin at The Bob Hope theatre , great value and always put on a good show
  • Snow White at the London Palladium has s very good cast, normally Orchard at Dartford is good as well.

On our way back from seeing it this afternoon. Absolutely fantastic, can’t remember being entertained that much at a show for years.

Dawn French and Gary Willmot are superb and Julian Clary is well, Julian Clary. Utter filth, that thankfully goes over the kids heads from him (not the sort of thing that usually appeals to me!)
  • Thanks we are going January 5th looking forward to it.
  • Thanks we are going January 5th looking forward to it.

It really is something special.
  • edited December 2018

Snow White at the London Palladium has s very good cast, normally Orchard at Dartford is good as well.

On our way back from seeing it this afternoon. Absolutely fantastic, can’t remember being entertained that much at a show for years.

Dawn French and Gary Willmot are superb and Julian Clary is well, Julian Clary. Utter filth, that thankfully goes over the kids heads from him (not the sort of thing that usually appeals to me!)
    I went a couple of Fridays ago , it was brilliant , thought a bit close to the mark with sooo many innuendos ( did you write the script! ) but good banter .
    My 6 year old was asked up on the stage for the “one smart fella “ bit and I managed to film it .

Also went to Harlow Alladin (seems to be the popular one)Thursday , cheap and cheerful but the fella who had done it last few years I’d been isn’t involved in the show so not as funny as previous years .

Going to Orchard Sunday week with sisters niece and nephews , Alladin with Marti Pellow I think .

I love the panto banto , hopefully this year if it’s 3d glasses at Dartford I put the right ones back in the box on the way out and not start driving home in the 3D ones wibble wibble
  • Aladdin is very good at dartford this year but I must say if you have young ones with you its is very dark and very loud which did make a lot of youngsters quite scared when I saw the sho. They went for more scares than comedy this year
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to Churchill, thought it was a bit meh this year, especially Leslie Joseph , but the kids loved it and wanted to go back and that is all that matters really!
  • Has anyone slapped their thigh this year to show appreciation or is it now a dying gesture?
  • Aladdin is very good at dartford this year but I must say if you have young ones with you its is very dark and very loud which did make a lot of youngsters quite scared when I saw the sho. They went for more scares than comedy this year

Seen a lot of reports of kids being scared at this one. The very loud bang at the start being a repeated complaint. Just have your kids prepared so it doesn’t come as a surprise

My Mrs took her brownie unit there on Saturday and told me the same thing.
    Is "brownie unit" a euphamism?
  • Went to see Robinson Crusoe at Greenwich Theatre this afternoon. Wonderful production and fun for all the family with laughs galore for those from 4 - 104!
  • edited December 2018
    We went to the orchard to see Aladdin, from our group of 8, 6 really enjoyed it and 2 didn’t like it at all. My comment (I enjoyed it) was it’s a bit dark, and frightening for the younger kids, we took people advice and warned the young ones that’s there a Big Bang at the start, they were fine with that, other who my forgot to tell had a right old shock 😁. Couldn’t have been that bad as we have booked for next year already.

Off to see Snow White at the London palladium on the 6th Jan, really looking forward to that.
  • Been going Greenwich for ten years now and I think this year is one of the funniest I have seen. So so clever. Heads up for anyone who goes Greenwich , tickets went on sale for next year yesterday on the website!!!

Seen a lot of reports of kids being scared at this one. The very loud bang at the start being a repeated complaint. Just have your kids prepared so it doesn’t come as a surprise
    we saw it last sunday, really good but agree just be prepared for the start bit......didn't recognize anyone apart from Marti Pellow but the cast were brilliant and it's great fun
  • Not panto but I saw a Christmas circus thing at Great Yarmouth just before xmas Hippodrome Circus. Worth a visit for the kids and something for dads too ;) if you’re in this neck of the woods .. Wouldn’t catch me in GY otherwise tho :)
  • Good afternoon all,
    Random question I know but does anyone reccomend any good pantomimes they go and see? Anyone know if dartford or Bromley are any good?? I have heard very good things about Greenwich theatre panto every year. Thanks!!

Seen this thread for the first time, has The Valley ever been an answer on here?