Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Helicopter Crash at the King Power Stadium Leicester

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018
    this morning I received this email from Leicester City F C

STATEMENT: VICHAI SRIVADDHANAPRABHA

It is with the deepest regret and a collective broken heart that we confirm our Chairman, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, was among those to have tragically lost their lives on Saturday evening when a helicopter carrying him and four other people crashed outside King Power Stadium. None of the five people on-board survived.

The primary thoughts of everyone at the Club are with the Srivaddhanaprabha family and the families of all those on-board at this time of unspeakable loss.

In Khun Vichai, the world has lost a great man. A man of kindness, of generosity and a man whose life was defined by the love he devoted to his family and those he so successfully led. Leicester City was a family under his leadership. It is as a family that we will grieve his passing and maintain the pursuit of a vision for the Club that is now his legacy.

A book of condolence, which will be shared with the Srivaddhanaprabha family, will be opened at King Power Stadium from 8am on Tuesday 30 October for supporters wishing to pay their respects.

Supporters unable to visit King Power Stadium that wish to leave a message can do so through an online book of condolence, which will be made available via lcfc.com in due course.

Both Tuesday’s First Team fixture against Southampton in the EFL Cup and the Development Squad fixture against Feyenoord in the Premier League International Cup have been postponed.

Everyone at the Club has been truly touched by the remarkable response of the football family, whose thoughtful messages of support and solidarity have been deeply appreciated at this difficult time.

• Options

this morning I received this email from Leicester City F C

STATEMENT: VICHAI SRIVADDHANAPRABHA

It is with the deepest regret and a collective broken heart that we confirm our Chairman, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, was among those to have tragically lost their lives on Saturday evening when a helicopter carrying him and four other people crashed outside King Power Stadium. None of the five people on-board survived.

The primary thoughts of everyone at the Club are with the Srivaddhanaprabha family and the families of all those on-board at this time of unspeakable loss.

In Khun Vichai, the world has lost a great man. A man of kindness, of generosity and a man whose life was defined by the love he devoted to his family and those he so successfully led. Leicester City was a family under his leadership. It is as a family that we will grieve his passing and maintain the pursuit of a vision for the Club that is now his legacy.

A book of condolence, which will be shared with the Srivaddhanaprabha family, will be opened at King Power Stadium from 8am on Tuesday 30 October for supporters wishing to pay their respects.

Supporters unable to visit King Power Stadium that wish to leave a message can do so through an online book of condolence, which will be made available via lcfc.com in due course.

Both Tuesday’s First Team fixture against Southampton in the EFL Cup and the Development Squad fixture against Feyenoord in the Premier League International Cup have been postponed.

Everyone at the Club has been truly touched by the remarkable response of the football family, whose thoughtful messages of support and solidarity have been deeply appreciated at this difficult time.

Good to see he was viewed in such a positive light. RIP
  • Options
    Very nice article from the BBC about their owner this morning...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46006896
  • Options
    Tragic. Thoughts with family and loved ones of the victims.

Rest in Peace.
  • Options
    RIP to all those who died.
    I’d also like to comment on how brave the two Police Officers were, who immediately ran to the crash site.
  • Options
    P.S. … he also owned Belgian second tier club OH Leuven ...
  • Options
    RIP

What a horrible weekend for football
  • Options
    So incredibly sad.

RIP
  • Options
    was anybody on the ground caught up in it?
  • Options
    Has it been made known what actually went wrong to cause the crash?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Reports suggest the pilot manoeuvred the helicopter to avoid people on the ground.
    No mention of any injuries to people on the ground
  • Options

Reports suggest the pilot manoeuvred the helicopter to avoid people on the ground.
    well done to the pilot. such a tragic thing to happen. RIP to all those on board.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Has it been made known what actually went wrong to cause the crash?

Unknown at the moment I would suggest - the air accident investigation team will still be trying to establish the cause.
  • Options
    skywalker said:

P.S. … he also owned Belgian second tier club OH Leuven ...

managed by Nigel Pearson ..
    please don't take this as pure flippancy .. King Power racehorses won two good races on Saturday and Leicester scored a very late equaliser in the last game he saw .. let's hope that Mr Srivaddhanaprabha had some happy thoughts just before this tragic incident
  • Options
    Very sad, will be a while until it's known what the cause was although believe they've now recovered the recorder.

I'm very nervous these days in helicopters. Year before last I was in one for the 24 hr race at Le Mans. We suddenly had 'engine issues', we were very lucky as we were over an open field next to the track approaching for landing so not too high, the pilot (I was sitting next to him) was frantically fighting with the controls and managed to put us down the right way up despite veering left and right, I still don't know how he landed us safely. The look on his face as we hit the ground the right way up was very much 'fcuk me that was close'.

When they go they go, I've no doubt the pilot did all he could and it wouldn't surprise me if he fought to put it down somewhere safe even though that would have put him and his passengers at greater risk.

RIP all.
  • Options
    I always thought it was more dangerous in a helicopter than a plane if the engine failed as a plane has a greater capacity to glide. I was told the opposite was true in that the blades will autorotate if the helicopter is upright. When learning to fly a helicopter, pilots are taught to land when the engine fails and apparently, it isn't that hard. But if the blades were not in a position to auto rotate, the helicopter will drop fast. I'm surprised there isn't a video of it, there are lots of people hanging around after a game and the chairman's helicopter is something that gains attention. I'm sure they will find out the cause but very sorry for all the victims. RIP.
  • Options
    Awful ! RIP to all on board
  • Options
    Same with Schmeichel...

Just hope he's okay (mentally not physically) if reports are to be believed with him running out when it happened
  • Options

I always thought it was more dangerous in a helicopter than a plane if the engine failed as a plane has a greater capacity to glide. I was told the opposite was true in that the blades will autorotate if the helicopter is upright. When learning to fly a helicopter, pilots are taught to land when the engine fails and apparently, it isn't that hard. But if the blades were not in a position to auto rotate, the helicopter will drop fast. I'm surprised there isn't a video of it, there are lots of people hanging around after a game and the chairman's helicopter is something that gains attention. I'm sure they will find out the cause but very sorry for all the victims. RIP.

You would be right, Helicopters are run by driveshafts constantly running at speed that spin the rotors and keep them in the air. They need them all working harmoniously to stay stable and airborne. Planes can glide, Helicopters cannot

That aside, this was a hugely tragic and sad event and my thoughts are with the families of those who lost their lives
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tough just watching that
  • Options
    He clearly meant a lot to a lot of people.
  • Options

He clearly meant a lot to a lot of people.

Clearly. Lovely tribute tbf

That man changed that club, everyone who works there owes him a huge debt of gratitude. He’s the kind of guy I would like to think I’d be if I were that wealthy.

Definitely a rare breed that chap. One of life’s good guys

• Options
    So sad. RIP
  • Options
    Lovely words from Riyad Mahrez in his MNF post match interview.
  • Options

I was hesitant to say this.... but I am sorry, that makes no sense.

This is a tragedy, but in almost all air crashes there is an attempt to make the horrible somehow.. heroic, especially in the press. I was awaiting this storyline to come out, because it always does. And it is almost always never the case.

When United Flight 93 went down in Pennsylvania, Americans were all told that the passengers fought the hijackers for control and downed the plane rather than let it reach the target. Except it is not true. They never breached the cockpit and the hijackers downed the plane themselves as the passengers started banging the door. Transcripts show this clearly.

In 1978 in San Diego, a 727 collided with a small plane and crashed into a suburb of San Diego. That crash scarred me at the time due to the awfulness of the scene, as reported. At the time it was the worst air accident in US history. Two days after the event the press picked up on the idea that the plane's pilots had aimed for a street rather than crash on the freeway nearby, saving lives. But black box transcripts and NTSB reports show they had zero control over anything because the cables had been cut in the collision and it fell pretty much the only place physics dictated it would.

In the case of the Leicester crash, I have seen the actual crash video of it coming out of the sky. I showed it today to a helicopter pilot I know and he said it likely broke its rotor shaft after takeoff, which happens more often than one would hope with helicopters (I will never step foot in one.)

In the video it takes off fine and then spins and drops like a rock. The whole thing takes 3-4 seconds. No way the pilot, while spinning out of control, is trying to avoid people. The pilot was likely desperately trying to figure out what went wrong and trying to save their own lives, not figure out a safe place to crash, while spinning at multiple Gs, at night, in disorientation, in a few seconds.

The reason no one died on the ground is the car park was gated off and empty and the helicopter took off and flew that general direction. If it had flown the opposite direction, it would have landed in the car park in use.

I feel this needs to be said because I think tragedies need to be seen for what they ARE, not mythologized and heroics made-up without evidence in order to somehow make people feel artificially better. I feel doing that is actually disrespectful to the victims (and us) and keeps us from feeling the full weight of bad events.

Generally agree with what you're saying, but what video?
  • Options

I was hesitant to say this.... but I am sorry, that makes no sense.

This is a tragedy, but in almost all air crashes there is an attempt to make the horrible somehow.. heroic, especially in the press. I was awaiting this storyline to come out, because it always does. And it is almost always never the case.

When United Flight 93 went down in Pennsylvania, Americans were all told that the passengers fought the hijackers for control and downed the plane rather than let it reach the target. Except it is not true. They never breached the cockpit and the hijackers downed the plane themselves as the passengers started banging the door. Transcripts show this clearly.

In 1978 in San Diego, a 727 collided with a small plane and crashed into a suburb of San Diego. That crash scarred me at the time due to the awfulness of the scene, as reported. At the time it was the worst air accident in US history. Two days after the event the press picked up on the idea that the plane's pilots had aimed for a street rather than crash on the freeway nearby, saving lives. But black box transcripts and NTSB reports show they had zero control over anything because the cables had been cut in the collision and it fell pretty much the only place physics dictated it would.

In the case of the Leicester crash, I have seen the actual crash video of it coming out of the sky. I showed it today to a helicopter pilot I know and he said it likely broke its rotor shaft after takeoff, which happens more often than one would hope with helicopters (I will never step foot in one.)

In the video it takes off fine and then spins and drops like a rock. The whole thing takes 3-4 seconds. No way the pilot, while spinning out of control, is trying to avoid people. The pilot was likely desperately trying to figure out what went wrong and trying to save their own lives, not figure out a safe place to crash, while spinning at multiple Gs, at night, in disorientation, in a few seconds.

The reason no one died on the ground is the car park was gated off and empty and the helicopter took off and flew that general direction. If it had flown the opposite direction, it would have landed in the car park in use.

I feel this needs to be said because I think tragedies need to be seen for what they ARE, not mythologized and heroics made-up without evidence in order to somehow make people feel artificially better. I feel doing that is actually disrespectful to the victims (and us) and keeps us from feeling the full weight of bad events.

Generally agree with what you're saying, but what video?
    There been some CCTV released.
  • Options
    It's nightvision and grainy. Saw it a few places but here is one link. You can see it lift off, go out of frame for about 6 seconds, then spin down.

It looks like it is falling fast but not quite freefall speed, which makes me wonder if anyone survived the actual impact.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=91roh_1540837755