Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trust AGM Tonight

2»

Comments

• Options
    so what happened at the Trust meeting with the EFL? Is it embargoed?
  • Options
    It’ll be on the trust website shortly, certainly today anyway.
  • Options
    The guys who met with the EFL are going to prepare a report for the website, though did stress how knackered they were after a day of doing that and the Trust AGM.
  • Options
    thanks Weegie and the rest of the Trust board
  • Options
    Did any of the CAST reps at the meeting point out to SH the contradiction between the two comments below extracted from the summary of the meeting? On the one hand RD keeps saying that miscommunications and protests are not assisting in the sale of the club. On the other, RD and his rep de Tuerck(?) have said that they continue to receive approaches from prospective buyers. The more likely reason a sale has not been consummated is the high asking price.

- RD advised SH that in his opinion miscommunications and protests were not assisting in the sale of the Club. SH didn’t disagree with this.

- RD advised SH he continues to receive approaches from prospective buyers and will keep the EFL informed.
  • Options

Did any of the CAST reps at the meeting point out to SH the contradiction between the two comments below extracted from the summary of the meeting? On the one hand RD keeps saying that miscommunications and protests are not assisting in the sale of the club. On the other, RD and his rep de Tuerck(?) have said that they continue to receive approaches from prospective buyers. The more likely reason a sale has not been consummated is the high asking price.

- RD advised SH that in his opinion miscommunications and protests were not assisting in the sale of the Club. SH didn’t disagree with this.

- RD advised SH he continues to receive approaches from prospective buyers and will keep the EFL informed.

These don’t necessarily appear to be contradictions to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really do appreciate the efforts of people to get answers and try and put the fans view across but like the meeting with Richard Murray, I don't really see what purpose any of this has and what will be achieved by it. I don't think it puts any pressure on the EFL or RD in fact it gives them a way of saying, we're listening and engaging with fans when all they are really doing is patting us on the head. Pissing him and them off is still the only way to go in my opinion.
  • Options

se9addick said:

These don’t necessarily appear to be contradictions to me.
    We are told he has a buyer who just need to sort out the members of their consortium and financing and then submit the necessary paperwork to the EFL. We are also told he has other groups interested. It would therefore appear they are not finding it difficult to attract potential buyers, and therefore difficult to understand why RD continues to say "miscommunication and protests were not assisting in the sale of the club" which SH from the EFL appeared to agree with. Does anyone know if any prospective buyers have walked away specifically because of fans protests? At least it would have been worth challenging and asking SH why he agrees with that.

Certainly it is worth asking De Tuerck, if he has another meeting with the fans forum, to clarify why RD continues to trot out that line given the above.
    So having met Harvey. He represents his clubs, so was never going to indicate any doubts he has about RDs version of events to us. BUT, having met and listened to him I will go out on a limb and say he doesn't believe for one moment that fan protests have put them off. He's from Leeds. He has seen protests at all the clubs. And btw, it might have been a quite smart exercise in flattery, but he knew not just about The Valley Party but that the advertising was "award winning" . He has Charlton fans correctly calibrated in terms of their discipline and restraint, IMO.

Also, when we gently suggested that price is the main barrier to sale, he said, obviously, that its P&C and certainly not something the EFL can comment on in any case. But then he said something like "Listen, after all the sales we've seen, I've got a pretty good idea of the real sale value of a club".

For me the key takeout on the actual situation is this. For all the talk about other bidders, none of them have made it to the EFL ODT stage. What does that tell us?
    Thanks Prague. I appreciate Harvey would not want to indicate to the Trust reps that he doubted RD's version of events. From what you say, he sounds like he has a good appreciation of the general character and style of Charlton fans and hopefully also of RDs.

• Options

Nug said:

I really do appreciate the efforts of people to get answers and try and put the fans view across but like the meeting with Richard Murray, I don't really see what purpose any of this has and what will be achieved by it. I don't think it puts any pressure on the EFL or RD in fact it gives them a way of saying, we're listening and engaging with fans when all they are really doing is patting us on the head. Pissing him and them off is still the only way to go in my opinion.

Well we have some answers and I consider them to be important answers.

The EFL understand ( especially John Nagle seemed to understand) that every fan base is made up of people from literally all walks of life and who respond in many different ways to things that upset them. He acknowledged that the very fact that CARD exists - as a coalition of several different fan groups - is remarkable in English football.

So where I disagree with you is that your route is the only way to go. Different elements can and should go in the way they think fit, and are best able to, simultaneously.

What we should not do is have pissing matches between each other, undercut each other, look like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Harvey tried that on us in respect of CARD and us, but fortunately we had the AGM that night and a quick consultation with CARD people headed that little trick off at the pass.

No pissing match from me, like I said I appreciate your efforts.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Nug said:

The EFL understand ( especially John Nagle seemed to understand) that every fan base is made up of people from literally all walks of life and who respond in many different ways to things that upset them. He acknowledged that the very fact that CARD exists - as a coalition of several different fan groups - is remarkable in English football.

So where I disagree with you is that your route is the only way to go. Different elements can and should go in the way they think fit, and are best able to, simultaneously.

What we should not do is have pissing matches between each other, undercut each other, look like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Harvey tried that on us in respect of CARD and us, but fortunately we had the AGM that night and a quick consultation with CARD people headed that little trick off at the pass.

And I have always appreciated yours, and certainly did not mean you in that context. I wanted to make the point that the Trust approach, the work youve done to help make CARD protests brilliant, ROT and all the actions in Belgium...they are complementary. It will be the cumulative effort that will finally rid us of him.

• Options

Nug said:

Nug said:

And I have always appreciated yours, and certainly did not mean you in that context. I wanted to make the point that the Trust approach, the work youve done to help make CARD protests brilliant, ROT and all the actions in Belgium...they are complementary. It will be the cumulative effort that will finally rid us of him.

Yep, apologies my post probably came across as critical and I agree all avenues should be pursued, just feel very negative about the whole situation the club is in and really concerned about the long-term damage this has done. Not sure how it is going to be revived if this continues much longer. But isn't the line for the deluded, "let's see where we are after the next 10 games".
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    One interesting thing from the AGM was the piece by special guest ex Pompey director from their fan owned days Ashley Brown - now heads up Supporters Direct.

He described the way fans raised funds to buy the club by pledging a grand (sometimes as groups) and putting up a deposit of £100. They raised a few million this way towards the purchase. Then as the club was in administration they got a sensible bid and (key) a realistic valuation for their ground.

He suggested the limits of 100% fan ownership were largely divisions below the Chanpionship due to the silly money now in that league.

Talked about when they sold up too.

Quite insightful. I wonder how many pledges Charlton would get in a similar scenario.
  • Options
    razil said:

One interesting thing from the AGM was the piece by special guest ex Pompey director from their fan owned days Ashley Brown - now heads up Supporters Direct.

He described the way fans raised funds to buy the club by pledging a grand (sometimes as groups) and putting up a deposit of £100. They raised a few million this way towards the purchase. Then as the club was in administration they got a sensible bid and (key) a realistic valuation for their ground.

He suggested the limits of 100% fan ownership were largely divisions below the Chanpionship due to the silly money now in that league.

Talked about when they sold up too.

Quite insightful. I wonder how many pledges Charlton would get in a similar scenario.

Not enough for the mad man. But I reckon quite a lot,