Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Price of newspapers

13»

Comments

• Options
    My wife gets a free copy of the Guardian when she shops at Waitrose.
    I think she has to spend over £10.
  • Options
    Alan Rusbridger’s book Breaking News is an excellent tour of what is happening to newspapers and the consequences, as well as the various strategies and business models being used to try to survive.
  • Options

Alan Rusbridger’s book Breaking News is an excellent tour of what is happening to newspapers and the consequences, as well as the various strategies and business models being used to try to survive.

looks interesting, thanks
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Used to occasionally buy a paper, but I'm in front of a computer all day and can read the BBC, Guardian and CharltonLife for all my news. People share stuff on social media so there's less need, although I do worry about the filtering of viewpoints.
    Every now and then my partner will buy a paper, but it will sit unread in the corner till it goes in the recycling and I will wonder why we're usually skint. The kids schools have encouraged them to look at newspapers, but they really don't see the point. I honestly don't have the time to read a paper. The main exceptions to my "not buy a paper rule" are Private Eye and Voice of the Valley. Both contain things I won't get elsewhere and Private Eye contains good journalism (as well as satire) that you really don't find elsewhere.

Interesting that several people have mentioned the Mirror, one of the guys I sit with in the Lower North works for them (not in the sports section, obviously)

edited to add: no implication that VOTV doesn't contain good journalism, it's just a lot more niche.
  • Options

Another one is Flat Earth News - by Nick Davies. Focusing largely on the complete gutting of local news and journalism and the subsequent re-purposing of local papers as PR and trade rags for local and national commercial interests. Cracking read.
  • Options
    Daily Mail sells nearly 10 X The Guardian.
  • Options

Man U does the same re Charlton. I know which is best though.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Yeah. Man U !
  • Options

Worrying.
  • Options

iainment said:

Yeah. Man U !
    Wash your mouth out with soap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I once went through my old man's Daily Mail before he had read it. I annotated it with the numerous occasions (in that single edition) it got it facts wrong, told half the story, represented its biased, right wing, opinions as stone cold fact, had an alarmist or misleading headline, etc, etc.

He didn't see the funny side.
  • Options

I once went through my old man's Daily Mail before he had read it. I annotated it with the numerous occasions (in that single edition) it got it facts wrong, told half the story, represented its biased, right wing, opinions as stone cold fact, had an alarmist or misleading headline, etc, etc.

He didn't see the funny side.

I do. :-)
  • Options

Bloody old people !
  • Options
    As some light relief from the new Jeremy Corbyn thread, thought the latest national newspaper circulation figures (from November 2018) might be interesting - https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/national-newspaper-online-abcs-web-figures-in-double-digit-drop-as-print-circulation-falls-across-the-board/

Incredibly, every paper has a large year on year drop in circulation.

Carry on at this rate and papers will disappear quicker than anyone thought.
  • Options
    Nobody mentioned the Sunday Football League Paper.
    Charlton reports guaranteed until we get to the Premiership.
  • Options
    back in 1980 I took an OU course in future technology .. even back in those days the demise of the 'paper press' was being predicted to be superseded by 'computer news screens' .. it's been happening very slowly and surely since then .. I see very few young people buying/reading newspapers or even magazines … I'll give them another 20 years max
  • Options

.. I see very few young people buying/reading newspapers or even magazines … I'll give them another 20 years max

And then they’ll be older people buying/reading newspapers or even magazines...
  • Options
    Its free newspaper rival the Metro topped the circulation figures for the fourth consecutive month, growing slightly year-on-year with a distribution of 1,453,926 (up from 1,450,004 in August 2017).

Ted Young, editor of Metro said: “This is another huge achievement for Metro, consolidating its position as the biggest national newspaper in the country.

“Our product continues to engage young, professional commuters every weekday morning with the right content to satisfy their daily news appetite.”

It's given away free. Most people probably just quickly flick through it to cure boredom on part of their train journey. How is this an achievement?
  • Options

You certainly know how to enjoy your spare time AB ;0)

• Options
    I honestly cannot remember the last paper I bought must be at least 5/6 years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Its free newspaper rival the Metro topped the circulation figures for the fourth consecutive month, growing slightly year-on-year with a distribution of 1,453,926 (up from 1,450,004 in August 2017).

Ted Young, editor of Metro said: “This is another huge achievement for Metro, consolidating its position as the biggest national newspaper in the country.

“Our product continues to engage young, professional commuters every weekday morning with the right content to satisfy their daily news appetite.”

It's given away free. Most people probably just quickly flick through it to cure boredom on part of their train journey. How is this an achievement?

I don't know how they can quantify the circulation figures either, surely that is just the number of papers printed? The volume of them I see dumped indicate to me that they are not a popular publication but an anti-social littering menace
  • Options

It's laughable really. They're just flogging adverts wrapped around recycled Daily Mail articles and making a bloody mess of discarded papers while they're at it.