Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Price of newspapers

Comments

• Options
    I always used to buy the Mercury, Kentish independent and the Kentish times on a Thursday and the South London Press on a Friday just to read about Charlton. Used to go into WH Smith’s and read the daily’s. Only if challenged would I buy one #TightArse
  • Options
    Carter said:

My mate Sam the scaff sent me a picture message that I won't share here

He'd gone to the bogs on the site he is currently erecting skyscrapers' worth of scaffolding and saw someone had left a copy of the sun, he thought it looked well thumbed as it wasn't crisp and pristine. He picked it up, opened it to find some beast had done a shit in it. The picture he sent me, it looked like one of those butterfly pictures you would do in playschool. Except with shite

It was probably a Scouser.
  • Options
    Years ago whenever Charlton won I would buy several Sunday papers and enjoy reading the match reports.
    If we lost I never bought any.
    Nowadays once or twice a week max.
  • Options

Like a weekend paper.

Wouldn’t read metro, amazed so many pick it up
  • Options
    Never buy them, get all my news from CL
  • Options
    I have a subscription to The Times and Sunday Times for their online paper. 26 quid a month which I'm happy to pay for good quality journalism.
    Rod Liddle even gives us the occasional mention in his column. Charlton getting written about in a broadsheet is a rarity, even if he's only taking the piss.
    The Times also has loads of good perks for its subscribers
  • Options
    Carter said:

My mate Sam the scaff sent me a picture message that I won't share here

He'd gone to the bogs on the site he is currently erecting skyscrapers' worth of scaffolding and saw someone had left a copy of the sun, he thought it looked well thumbed as it wasn't crisp and pristine. He picked it up, opened it to find some beast had done a shit in it. The picture he sent me, it looked like one of those butterfly pictures you would do in playschool. Except with shite

Your mate sent you a photo of some shit?

A change from a pic of his lunch I suppose...
  • Options
    My mum and dad buy a couple of papers every day because they're both retired and have the time to sit around reading them with breakfast/lunch etc.

If they both still worked, i doubt they'd bother.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I’m old school, I buy the Times to read on the tube on the way to work and the Sunday Times, MOS, Sun on Sunday mornings to read at the breakfast table. Less eye strain reading a printed version than reading an online version and you can chuck it in the bin when you’ve read it, unlike an iPad or laptop or similar which you have to carry about with you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I used to buy the Guardian and then into the Honor Oak cafe for liver and bacon and 2 mugs of tea.

It would set me back the best part of a tenner for that combination now.
  • Options
    Thought the i (condensed version of the Independent) used to be very good, especially when it cost 10p. More views than news and pretty balanced articles with a couple of sudokos and good crossword. Lots of the other newspapers are abysmal though, and definitely not worth the paper they're printed on.
  • Options
    I get the Guardian 6 days a week. The Observer on Sunday. The Irish Independent on Saturday and Sunday. The New European on Thursday.
    I love newspapers.
  • Options

I’m old school, I buy the Times to read on the tube on the way to work and the Sunday Times, MOS, Sun on Sunday mornings to red at the breakfast table. Less eye strain reading a printed version than reading an online version and you can check it in the bin when you’ve read it, unlike an iPad or laptop or similar which you have to carry about with you

You buy the Times to read on the tube on the way to work.
    If I bought the Times it would be to read on a 7 day holiday instead a book.
  • Options
    I don’t buy one anymore but the old fella at work reads out to me extracts from the daily mail. He must be doing it to wind me up as I have a computer in front of me with no fire wall if I want to read pages of nonsense.
  • Options

Thought the i (condensed version of the Independent) used to be very good, especially when it cost 10p. More views than news and pretty balanced articles with a couple of sudokos and good crossword. Lots of the other newspapers are abysmal though, and definitely not worth the paper they're printed on.

I'm a fan of The i too. It's by far the best mix of proper news coverage, opinion pieces and decent sport without reams of celebrity obsessed shite that seems to fill out my mum and dad's Mail whenever I can stomach a look at it. 60p a pop now though, more at the weekend.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think the market will flip in the next 18 months. Printed papers, such as the sun, mirror, mail and express will become free. The quality daily and possibly all the weekend editions will still cost.

All the related Web sites will fully be beind pay walls.

The only free news sites will be things like the BBC and the click bait add traps like local news papers.

It's a dangerous road, could we be talking about information poverty?

There’s really no chance of all the websites being fully behind pay walls because the business model doesn’t stack up for most of them.
  • Options

Had cause to see a copy of the Daily Mirror today. First time I’ve pucked up a newspaper of any sort for probably a couple of years. Was gobsmaked to see it cost 75p. How the printed newspaper survives amazes me.

Obviously this is the Australian edition.

The Daily Mirror was delivered to my parents house in the 60s and I started reading it at the age of 11. I still read it today, 53 years later in an unbroken run.

Must admit I turn to the puzzle page first, then a bit of football (long since given up looking for the Charlton report). Then I read the news headlines and either read the report or just make up the story myself. E.G. todays headline was 'You are Cha - Cha chucked'. Now I'm aware that Seann Walsh was getting it on with some dancer so I was able to skip pages 4 and 5. Page 3 and the heading is Cheryl has girls night out after split from Liam. I didn't read the report, I didn't need to. I also know the new lady Dr Who has the best rating in 12 years - didn't read the report.

DR DEATH caught my attention on page 8 - read the report but learnt nothing new, especially after the Mirror quoted from a mysterious senior security source. I did learn that we are to pay an extra £250,000 towards Eugenie's wedding. This time for the tidy up after them, mobile toilets, stewards and barriers. All a bit West Ham United I thought ... anyway me and the Daily Mirror are outraged.

I can't give up on the Daily Mirror, I can't give up on Charlton Athletic either!

• Options

Cafc43v3r said:

I think the market will flip in the next 18 months. Printed papers, such as the sun, mirror, mail and express will become free. The quality daily and possibly all the weekend editions will still cost.

All the related Web sites will fully be beind pay walls.

The only free news sites will be things like the BBC and the click bait add traps like local news papers.

It's a dangerous road, could we be talking about information poverty?

There’s really no chance of all the websites being fully behind pay walls because the business model doesn’t stack up for most of them.
    Sorry I didn't convay what I ment very well. I ment that the business model will flip, the printed press will become a "gateway" to the Web site.

Click bait like celebrity gossip will still be free but expensive things like book serialisation, sports, investigations etc will all sit behind a pay wall.

People still don't "give away" the good stuff, apart from the guardian, online.
  • Options
    Not that I’ve ever seen it in real life but there’s always been the scenes in old tv programmes or films where people have had cut up newspapers hung in a hook in the toilet for wiping their arses...now I’ve often wondered whether they got a black smear in their arse from the print

And, the comments about wrapping fish and chips in newspapers, again I’ve never seen it but did it really happen and were the fish and chips black from the print ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not that I’ve ever seen it in real life but there’s always been the scenes in old tv programmes or films where people have had cut up newspapers hung in a hook in the toilet for wiping their arses...now I’ve often wondered whether they got a black smear in their arse from the print

And, the comments about wrapping fish and chips in newspapers, again I’ve never seen it but did it really happen and were the fish and chips black from the print ?

We had an outside toilet when I was a boy, yes we used newspaper to wipe our bottoms, I was very well read, fish and chip shops always used newspaper
  • Options
    Oh, and the non league paper on a Monday morning (when I can find it).
  • Options

I have a subscription to The Times and Sunday Times for their online paper. 26 quid a month which I'm happy to pay for good quality journalism.
    Rod Liddle even gives us the occasional mention in his column. Charlton getting written about in a broadsheet is a rarity, even if he's only taking the piss.
    The Times also has loads of good perks for its subscribers

So that's where Murdoch has been hiding Page 3!
  • Options

Had cause to see a copy of the Daily Mirror today. First time I’ve pucked up a newspaper of any sort for probably a couple of years. Was gobsmaked to see it cost 75p. How the printed newspaper survives amazes me.

The Daily Mirror was delivered to my parents house in the 60s and I started reading it at the age of 11. I still read it today, 53 years later in an unbroken run.

Must admit I turn to the puzzle page first, then a bit of football (long since given up looking for the Charlton report). Then I read the news headlines and either read the report or just make up the story myself. E.G. todays headline was 'You are Cha - Cha chucked'. Now I'm aware that Seann Walsh was getting it on with some dancer so I was able to skip pages 4 and 5. Page 3 and the heading is Cheryl has girls night out after split from Liam. I didn't read the report, I didn't need to. I also know the new lady Dr Who has the best rating in 12 years - didn't read the report.

DR DEATH caught my attention on page 8 - read the report but learnt nothing new, especially after the Mirror quoted from a mysterious senior security source. I did learn that we are to pay an extra £250,000 towards Eugenie's wedding. This time for the tidy up after them, mobile toilets, stewards and barriers. All a bit West Ham United I thought ... anyway me and the Daily Mirror are outraged.

I can't give up on the Daily Mirror, I can't give up on Charlton Athletic either!

In my first year in grammar school I won the civics prize. This was because my mum had the Mirror delivered and I would plagiarise the leaf story in my daily reports.
    That year, 1966/67 a lot happened and The Mirror repprted it all on the front page. It was a brilliant paper. Not now unfortunately
  • Options
    iainment said:

In my first year in grammar school I won the civics prize. This was because my mum had the Mirror delivered and I would plagiarise the leaf story in my daily reports.
    That year, 1966/67 a lot happened and The Mirror repprted it all on the front page. It was a brilliant paper. Not now unfortunately
    You see you can wait until the next morning for all the news :wink:
  • Options
    iainment said:

I also came top in Civics due to the Daily Mirror, although admittedly in the lower league of a secondary modern school.

I've never boasted about it before, primarily because I've never heard anyone else even mention the subject. I thought it was something my school invented to fill up the day, in a syllabus that prepared us for the army, navy or factory.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I'm posh, I get my groceries delivered by Waitrose who provide you with a free copy of the Times if you spend more than a tenner on Oysters and Champers. Its not quite like the old days when Jeeves would iron it for you, but adequate nonetherless.

I would miss the paper newspapers, because how else would you recognise a racist, bigoted, miserable nostalgic unless they had a copy of the Mail in their hand, or a wooly headed liberal without a Grauniad, or a builders van without a Sun on the dashboard.
  • Options
    Really interesting to see the latest circulation figures.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/national-abcs-free-evening-standard-only-uk-paper-to-see-circulation-growth-in-august/

If sales carry on falling off at the current rate, it's hard to see many still being around in 5 years time. Or, as someone said above, around in their current paid for format.