Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options
    3 keepers used today. Bairstow not one of them.

Must admit I would be trying to get Foakes in there as the extra wicket or runs saved by his keeping will be vital. Bairstow out and Denly/Moeen/Stokes capable of batring in the top 6 might just open up a space for him as you dont need 4 quicka in Sri Lanka.
  • Options

Must admit I would be trying to get Foakes in there as the extra wicket or runs saved by his keeping will be vital. Bairstow out and Denly/Moeen/Stokes capable of batring in the top 6 might just open up a space for him as you dont need 4 quicka in Sri Lanka.

Have been less than impressed with Buttler's keeping in the last few matches so would keep him in as a batsman but add Foakes to keep too.
  • Options

Have been less than impressed with Buttler's keeping in the last few matches so would keep him in as a batsman but add Foakes to keep too.
    Also not been impressed with Buttlers keeping recently.
  • Options
    It's looking like Broad will be dropped for the 1st Test next week.
  • Options
    Root gets his century, though not one for his stats presumably with this game not being first class! Another one of these rubbish warm up games teams have nowadays

A lot easier for those who've been out there for the white ball matches, as they'll be used to conditions.
  • Options

Root gets his century, though not one for his stats presumably with this game not being first class! Another one of these rubbish warm up games teams have nowadays

A lot easier for those who've been out there for the white ball matches, as they'll be used to conditions.

Or used to sitting in doors watching the rain.
  • Options
    https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/894379/counties-agree-to-men-s-domestic-structure-changes-from-2020?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=ECB_cricket&utm_content=100000354628259+&utm_campaign=Other+Campaigns

Agreed changes for 2020. The 50 over competition will be a joke, as it will be played at the same time as the 100 AND have no overseas players
  • Options

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/894379/counties-agree-to-men-s-domestic-structure-changes-from-2020?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=ECB_cricket&utm_content=100000354628259+&utm_campaign=Other+Campaigns

Agreed changes for 2020. The 50 over competition will be a joke, as it will be played at the same time as the 100 AND have no overseas players

They don't want any decent players in the 50 overs competition distracting attention from their 100 ball fiasco do they?

So, with three up and one down next season, let's have a guess at the identity of the 10 counties the ECB would like to see in Div 1 in 2020:

Yorks
    Lancs
    Middx
    Surrey
    Somerset
    Essex
    Hants
    Notts
    Durham
    Warwicks

All that needs for this to happen is Lancs, Middlesex and Durham go up next season - and Kent get relegated!
  • Options
    Just trying to imagine what a Kent 50 over side would look like, as an example. No Denly or Billings, probably no Kuhn, no overseas player...

Alastair Cook will presumably be available for Essex though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Or used to sitting in doors watching the rain.
  • Options
    I for one will go and watch the 50 over comp instead of the 100 as some form of one man protest.
  • Options
    Runours stokes elbow is worse than forst thought even though he came back out to bat today.

Now hear me out here but I don't think him missing a test or two will be a bad thing. He hasn't been in great form and I don't think he really helps the balance of the side in Sri Lanka.

You only need 3 quicks in Sri Lanka and 3 spinners. I'm not sure stokes would be one of our best 3 quicks in terms of getting wickets on unhelpful pitches and there are doubts over how much he can bowl due to injuries. So you have to say he wont be one of the 3 and count him as a batsman only - any bowling he does will be a bonus.

England are clearly worried about their batting and want to pack it out as much as possible. It's likely 2 of our spinners will be in the top 6. Stokes missing through injury allows us to bring in Foakes as the better keeper and bat all the way down to 10.

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Possibly stone in for Woakes/Curran
  • Options

Runours stokes elbow is worse than forst thought even though he came back out to bat today.

Now hear me out here but I don't think him missing a test or two will be a bad thing. He hasn't been in great form and I don't think he really helps the balance of the side in Sri Lanka.

You only need 3 quicks in Sri Lanka and 3 spinners. I'm not sure stokes would be one of our best 3 quicks in terms of getting wickets on unhelpful pitches and there are doubts over how much he can bowl due to injuries. So you have to say he wont be one of the 3 and count him as a batsman only - any bowling he does will be a bonus.

England are clearly worried about their batting and want to pack it out as much as possible. It's likely 2 of our spinners will be in the top 6. Stokes missing through injury allows us to bring in Foakes as the better keeper and bat all the way down to 10.

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Agreed, I'm not happy with Stokes' workload, with his bad knee. We've got a WC and Ashes next summer, I think we need to be resting him as much as possible, or if he needs an operation, to get it done now.
  • Options

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Definitely Stone for Woakes, who gets no wickets overseas. I’d play Leach instead of Foakes in that team. Pope for Jennings; open with Moeen or Denly
  • Options

They don't want any decent players in the 50 overs competition distracting attention from their 100 ball fiasco do they?

So, with three up and one down next season, let's have a guess at the identity of the 10 counties the ECB would like to see in Div 1 in 2020:

Yorks
    Lancs
    Middx
    Surrey
    Somerset
    Essex
    Hants
    Notts
    Durham
    Warwicks

All that needs for this to happen is Lancs, Middlesex and Durham go up next season - and Kent get relegated!
    I would be surprised if Durham get promoted, I think Sussex with there fast bowlers would have a better chance, I think it's a good idea to go to 10 teams in div 1, also think Kent will have a good season
  • Options
    On the BBC website it states that Buttler was given out caught off a fielders helmet. I didn't think that was allowed in the laws.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Definitely Stone for Woakes, who gets no wickets overseas. I’d play Leach instead of Foakes in that team. Pope for Jennings; open with Moeen or Denly
    Except woakes was our best bowler in the one dayers. So perhaps Curran will be the one to drop out for Stone.

I dont think leach will play given he didnt get a go in the 14 a side game. They want to pack the batting deep and he doesnt for with that. If he does come in it might well be for Rashid rather than Denly.
  • Options

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Quality post as usual buddy.
  • Options

On the BBC website it states that Buttler was given out caught off a fielders helmet. I didn't think that was allowed in the laws.

If the fielder was wearing the helmet, then it now counts as part of the body for catching purposes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/10/31/description-like-listen-cricket-first-time-just-wonderful/

This was an enjoyable read describing cricket commentary from the point of a new comer to the game.
  • Options

The Law was changed last year to allow this.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Thank you killerandflash & Addick Addict for your answers.
  • Options

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Nice one Canters,

So, i've not been watching the snippets recently, but you are saying that Stokes wont play presumably?. In which case, aren't we reverting back to England type in picking players for the situation rather than the long term?
    For me, beating OZ next season is FAR bigger than anything we might achieve against SL - therefore why should we be picking players who clearly wont be playing against Oz ...ie Denly? Whats the point? Lets instead, bring in some players who might have the skill and application to play against Australia ?
    TBH, having a top 3 of Burns,Jennings and Denly looks really scary, and could quite easily see us 9-3 very quickly - and having Mo at 5 ......laugh.
    This needs some real thought - but that lineup scares me to bits.
  • Options
    Haha more Denly bashing
  • Options

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Nice one Canters,

So, i've not been watching the snippets recently, but you are saying that Stokes wont play presumably?. In which case, aren't we reverting back to England type in picking players for the situation rather than the long term?
    For me, beating OZ next season is FAR bigger than anything we might achieve against SL - therefore why should we be picking players who clearly wont be playing against Oz ...ie Denly? Whats the point? Lets instead, bring in some players who might have the skill and application to play against Australia ?
    TBH, having a top 3 of Burns,Jennings and Denly looks really scary, and could quite easily see us 9-3 very quickly - and having Mo at 5 ......laugh.
    You pick a team to play in the conditions you are facing. It would be weird picking a bowling attack perfect for a seaming Edgbaston pitch, when you are playing Tests on spin friendly surfaces. It's not as if the Ashes is the only Test series that matters, if England want to get to No 1 again, we need to win everywhere

• Options
    edited November 2018

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Nice one Canters,

I suspect they will play Stokes as just a batsman. Meaning Buttler will keep.

Stokes has been managing injuries for about 6 months and it has limited the amount he has been able to bowl. So even if you thought he was one of our best 3 quicks you wouldn't pick him as one of them. The question is whether his batting alone will be enough to get him in the side, and whether resting him would be better in the long term.

I would leave him out.

Not sure why that top 3 is any worse than any previous one.

Mo at 5 what's wrong with that? He may well end up batting 3 this series.

As for Denly - given the number of players we have tried in the top 3 he has to be worth a go. He is experienced and knows his game well. He is certainly worth a go. His leg spin is an added bonus in Sri Lanka.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46054865

What a shambles. Just two 2 day warm up matches, and the 1st day of the 2nd one is washed out. Now it seems that the England hotel for the second match is overbooked, with not enough space for the players due to tour groups booking most of it!
  • Options

Burns
    Jennings
    Denly
    Root
    Moeen
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Anderson

Nice one Canters,

Lets give Denly a chance, if he scores plenty of runs, he will do for me